Author Topic: What have you done today?  (Read 134007 times)

purposefulinsanity

Re: What have you done today?
« Reply #885 on: August 31, 2007, 02:03:55 PM »
Got saved from a trip into town to buy a birthday present, played x-box games 'with' my youngest son, painted with my daughter and various mundane crap.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #886 on: August 31, 2007, 02:14:12 PM »
if you have your stuff on a separate partition, you often won't have to restore them, just reinstall windoze.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #887 on: August 31, 2007, 02:23:38 PM »
if you have your stuff on a separate partition, you often won't have to restore them, just reinstall windoze.
That is the advantage with it, but then you have to mess around redirecting everything to save there, especially given most applications save to my documents. It just ended up as a dumping ground for applications and ripped DVD's. I hate having to organise stuff on my PC.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #888 on: August 31, 2007, 02:28:00 PM »
That is the advantage with it, but then you have to mess around redirecting everything to save there, especially given most applications save to my documents. It just ended up as a dumping ground for applications and ripped DVD's. I hate having to organise stuff on my PC.

you only have to change one variable, once. another thing you need to do research on?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #889 on: August 31, 2007, 02:34:19 PM »

you only have to change one variable, once. another thing you need to do research on?
I dont like to play around in the registry, and it never bugged me enough to do research on. Next time I get a lappie I will do that though.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #890 on: August 31, 2007, 02:38:42 PM »
you said it was annoying on the last page.  well?  is it annoying, or does it not "bug" you?

do at least try and be consistent.  ::)

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #891 on: August 31, 2007, 02:48:19 PM »
hadron, did it ever occur to you that doing it my way, you can save lots of money? most companies do daily/nightly backups, at best, so if a disk crashes late one afternoon, before a backup, say, you lose a day's work. that costs a LOT more than having a separate work partition on your pooter and changing ONE variable, ONE time.

i guess what i'm really asking is why it never occured to you that 25+ years of pooter experience can amount to something.

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #892 on: August 31, 2007, 03:17:58 PM »
hadron, did it ever occur to you that doing it my way, you can save lots of money? most companies do daily/nightly backups, at best, so if a disk crashes late one afternoon, before a backup, say, you lose a day's work. that costs a LOT more than having a separate work partition on your pooter and changing ONE variable, ONE time.

i guess what i'm really asking is why it never occured to you that 25+ years of pooter experience can amount to something.
Any wise company would use a RAID array and would not be in such a situation. Your method does not anywhere near secure the computer from a head crash, it just reduces the risk of data loss. But it does have an effect yes

As for your experience, it counts for less in the ICT industry than it would in another one, simply because of the sheer rate of change. Its one of the few places where a skilled young blood can play on the level of an experienced professional. Thats sort of what I like about computers, there is always something new, everyday.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #893 on: August 31, 2007, 03:24:19 PM »
i went to the doctor.  he said everything seemed fine.  but my cholesterol is a little on the high side.
Misunderstood.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #894 on: August 31, 2007, 04:34:32 PM »

Any wise company would use a RAID array and would not be in such a situation. Your method does not anywhere near secure the computer from a head crash, it just reduces the risk of data loss. But it does have an effect yes

As for your experience, it counts for less in the ICT industry than it would in another one, simply because of the sheer rate of change. Its one of the few places where a skilled young blood can play on the level of an experienced professional. Thats sort of what I like about computers, there is always something new, everyday.

a reduction of the risk is often enough. you'd be surprised.

as for experience, the only reason a company would hire someone as inexperienced as, say, an 18-yo, geek wizard or not, is money. they could hire the kid for practically nothing.

you'll find out.

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #895 on: August 31, 2007, 04:52:37 PM »

as for experience, the only reason a company would hire someone as inexperienced as, say, an 18-yo, geek wizard or not, is money. they could hire the kid for practically nothing.

you'll find out.
Most jobs in ICT have quite low pay, thats why I would rather get into the CS side of things. A reduction in risk is a good thing, but its not a panacea.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #896 on: August 31, 2007, 06:23:43 PM »

Now you're making me think that I'm one step beyond a lay-person user.
 :bunny:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 07:55:38 PM by MarkingDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #897 on: August 31, 2007, 06:42:37 PM »

you'll find out.
Most jobs in ICT have quite low pay, thats why I would rather get into the CS side of things. A reduction in risk is a good thing, but its not a panacea.
You use capitals. Why not capitalise her name?
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline mordok

• The Ultimate Question of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #898 on: August 31, 2007, 07:19:46 PM »

Nice talking out your ass there.  How about you listen to someone who actually WORKS in the industry.   ::)

Few if any companies go to the length of setting up RAID arrays on desktops for reasons of time, maintenance, and/or money.  I've seen odeon's hypothetical occur too many times because of it.

Finally, there is a built-in tool in modern versions of windows that allows you to repoint almost all the "default" locations.  No direct editing of the registry required.  But then, you're such a new up-to-date hotshot, you must be aware of that already, right?   :wanker:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #899 on: September 01, 2007, 01:43:14 PM »
let him edit the registry instead, mordok. the way i see it, it's a win-win situation. ;D

- Albert Einstein