Author Topic: What have you done today?  (Read 134295 times)

Offline Rabbit From Hell

• Milla's Husband
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Gun or turkey baster? Do you feel lucky, punk?
Re: What have you done today?
« Reply #870 on: August 30, 2007, 08:57:09 PM »
Symantec sucks, it was good but it sucks.  I use AVG now.  Free and it actually catches virii.  
You're the retarded offspring of five monkeys having buttsex with a fish squirrel, congratulations.

politics and evil
all one and the same
satan hides behind
another name

ozymandias

« Reply #871 on: August 30, 2007, 09:02:18 PM »
Retrieved our computer from the shop after having the memory increased, deleted Symantec and Weatherbug and installed a new security system.  Planning our trip to southern NH to visit one of my oldest and only friend from the high school from hell.
i thought that deleting symantic was impossible.

Nope, it is.  The people who set up and service our computer are very good.  BUT, what should have been a 1-2 hour memory upgrade and deletion took 2 days.  Consumer Reports and our Computer service people have nothing good to say about Symantec.  Since we got rid of it, our computer has been working much faster and better. :green:  AND, the new security system we got is garuanteed by the service people.  They WILL NOT do the same for Symantec. 

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #872 on: August 30, 2007, 09:15:28 PM »
worked...today was my last day...went online, watched tv...nothing exciting really...

duncvis

« Reply #873 on: August 31, 2007, 04:43:47 AM »
Symantec sucks, it was good but it sucks.  I use AVG now.  Free and it actually catches virii. 

QFT.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #874 on: August 31, 2007, 05:13:01 AM »
knitted - finished two xmas presents.  yep, i am that sad.  :laugh:  now knitting a silk scarf for me, on tiny needles.  ::)

spent time having Thoughts, too.  sigh...  ;D

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #875 on: August 31, 2007, 05:14:44 AM »
Thoughts? :P

I've been trying to revive a crashed hard disk, without any great degree of success. I've also been ripping CDs to mp3.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #876 on: August 31, 2007, 05:24:48 AM »
yes, Thoughts.  i have them sometimes, you know.   :eyelash:

ooooooh, rippings!   :-*

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #877 on: August 31, 2007, 12:09:06 PM »
Washing Cloths.
Guardian of the Empire

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #878 on: August 31, 2007, 01:10:02 PM »

Retrieved our computer from the shop after having the memory increased, deleted Symantec and Weatherbug and installed a new security system.  Planning our trip to southern NH to visit one of my oldest and only friend from the high school from hell.
Symantec leaves traces of itself, behind.
The problem is that to get it all out, you must edit the registry, even if you let Windows do the install and un-install itself. I use AVG now, too. I like it for many reasons, but I am most impressed by its ability to do a full system scan "in the background" with very little impact on resources. When Norton works, it hogs the box.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #879 on: August 31, 2007, 01:13:29 PM »
Dropped off my doctor's prescription for my pills, went to a yard sale and watered the flowers. 

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #880 on: August 31, 2007, 01:24:26 PM »

Spent a good bit of time deadheading the garden, hoping for a late season flush of color.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #881 on: August 31, 2007, 01:30:54 PM »

The problem is that to get it all out, you must edit the registry, even if you let Windows do the install and un-install itself. I use AVG now, too. I like it for many reasons, but I am most impressed by its ability to do a full system scan "in the background" with very little impact on resources. When Norton works, it hogs the box.

symantec's not that hard to wipe out if you know where it leaves its marks. the registry is one place, and the most important one, but you also have to look for symantec maps and leftover files in documents and settings, for each user.

i use clam av on my windows boxes but it's a bit on the slow side. it's much better in linux.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #882 on: August 31, 2007, 01:50:50 PM »

symantec's not that hard to wipe out if you know where it leaves its marks. the registry is one place, and the most important one, but you also have to look for symantec maps and leftover files in documents and settings, for each user.

i use clam av on my windows boxes but it's a bit on the slow side. it's much better in linux.

Very true, but I thought everyone knew about that stuff, because it's easy to see.

:laugh:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #883 on: August 31, 2007, 01:58:34 PM »
<rant>

it's never easy. most users still save their documents and private stuff in something called "my documents", without a clue on where that actually is. when the hdd crashes, they found out that, well, it was next to windows and utterly lost.

why pooter manufacturers such as dell (not that i'm outing THEM because one of their stupid preinstalled hdd crashed on me the other day and i've spent two fucking days trying to rescue ANYTHING; i'm not, cos i'm not that vindictive) still insist on a single, huge, partition is beyond me.

</rant>

- Albert Einstein

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #884 on: August 31, 2007, 02:02:20 PM »
<rant>

it's never easy. most users still save their documents and private stuff in something called "my documents", without a clue on where that actually is. when the hdd crashes, they found out that, well, it was next to windows and utterly lost.

why pooter manufacturers such as dell (not that i'm outing THEM because one of their stupid preinstalled hdd crashed on me the other day and i've spent two fucking days trying to rescue ANYTHING; i'm not, cos i'm not that vindictive) still insist on a single, huge, partition is beyond me.

</rant>
Acer split their HDD's in two. I find it annoying, its not hard for a user to manage a regular backup of vital documents is it?