Author Topic: School shooting in Newtown, CT  (Read 3774 times)

midlifeaspie

Re: School shooting in Newtown, CT
« Reply #165 on: December 29, 2012, 12:02:09 AM »
Frankly I find the lame argument that rednecks need guns to keep the guvment in check to be fucking hilarious.  The government has tanks, strike fighters, and hellfire missile equipped robots that roam the skys.  If the gumment wants to repress you, your piddly Bushmaster won't make one bit of difference.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #166 on: December 29, 2012, 12:06:12 AM »
Guns allow people who are physically weak to defend themselves against violence. That gives an advantage to small people, women and the elderly.

Hey, I fit all 3 categories.  Icanhazgun?

Seriously, if I was to use a gun I would shoot to kill.  I decided that was the way to handle intruders.  And before anyone says, "You don't know what you'd do in a real situation," I've spent years reaffirming that decision.  There is no doubt in my mind.  I don't own a gun, but PA has a gun and bullets (separately stored) and I thoroughly intend to take shooting lessons when he dies.  Taking them while he's alive is too tempting.  "But officer, I thought an intruder was lying next to me."

Statistically speaking, you are far more likely to shoot your daughter than an intruder.

Offline TA

• Rage Filled Brain of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Face my Squirrely Wrath!
« Reply #167 on: December 29, 2012, 12:23:12 AM »
Frankly I find the lame argument that rednecks need guns to keep the guvment in check to be fucking hilarious.  The government has tanks, strike fighters, and hellfire missile equipped robots that roam the skys.  If the gumment wants to repress you, your piddly Bushmaster won't make one bit of difference.

Explain Syria.

Small arms and homemade explosives are doing a fairly decent job against a trained army there.

It may be an insurance policy to some, but it is a control thing to me. I simply take issue with someone telling me I cannot own something.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 12:37:46 AM by TA »
The stupidity of humanity FILLS ME WITH RAGE!

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #168 on: December 29, 2012, 07:07:06 AM »

Explain Syria.

Small arms and homemade explosives are doing a fairly decent job against a trained army there.

It may be an insurance policy to some, but it is a control thing to me. I simply take issue with someone telling me I cannot own something.

'Trained' is relative.  Arab armies aren't noted for their effectiveness, whether it's against insurgents or conventional military forces.

http://www.meforum.org/441/why-arabs-lose-wars

A more concise version: http://www.strategypage.com/dls/articles2002/20020909.asp

That said, the heavily armed nature of the US populace and the continental scale of the US would make it extremely difficult for the US military or any other military to deal with a popular uprising, just as Afghanistan wouldn't be nearly as difficult to occupy if every goat herder's son didn't have an RPG and an AK-47, and the Iraqi insurgency would be less deadly if 250,000 tons of ordinance hadn't been looted and re-purposed as IEDs.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #169 on: December 29, 2012, 09:20:37 AM »
If only I had a £ for every time I've heard a retard make that "guns don't kill people - did the gun shoot someone by itself?" argument...

that, and the "let's ban cars as well, because people die in traffic accidents!" one

Enjoy being a slave to the rich.

Now that the snide comments are out of the way...

Believe it or not, I kinda have mixed feelings about it as well. Not beccause I think a society with guns is better than a society without (I'd much prefer to carry on living in a country with strict gun control than a country with laws similar to those in the US). But I know the situation over there isn't as simple as taking them away. It's a culture thing. I find it hard to get my head round how so many americans are big on guns and how so many seem to almost value their right to bare arms more than anything else.

All I can say is I'm glad my little brothers aren;t going to schools where there are armed guards at the doors incase a kid comes in and shoots the place up

Yes, it is a difference in culture mate, which is fine. Most Americans don't like being walked all over by the ruling class, that's why we want a way to fight back if push came to shove. Your people were apathetic when the ruling class disarmed you, now i'm worried you won't have a chance to stand up to them when they start being bigger dicks than they are now.

LOL

:facepalm2:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #170 on: December 29, 2012, 01:23:13 PM »

Explain Syria.

Yes, my bad.  The Syrian Army and the US Armed Forces are pretty much the same thing.

How much crack do you keep at home just because the government says you can't have it?

Offline TA

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #171 on: December 29, 2012, 01:57:59 PM »
I did not expect anything better from you two so.....i'll let the one Youtuber that proves that not all gun people are angry white republicans do the talking.

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #172 on: December 29, 2012, 06:39:47 PM »
Keep in the mind the defected army doing the fighting for the people in Syria. And the allies ...

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #173 on: December 29, 2012, 07:23:40 PM »
Ok so the guy in the video is pro-guns and black. Wow. You've totally convinced me of.... nothing

I watched about half of it and thought it was bollocks. I've never shot a gun so I can't be in favour of gun control? I may be wrong on gun control, but I'm definitely not a hypocrite on it, so not sure what your point is.

Offline TA

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #174 on: December 29, 2012, 07:28:55 PM »
Ok so the guy in the video is pro-guns and black. Wow. You've totally convinced me of.... nothing

I watched about half of it and thought it was bollocks. I've never shot a gun so I can't be in favour of gun control? I may be wrong on gun control, but I'm definitely not a hypocrite on it, so not sure what your point is.

It was not specifically directed at you, MLA, or anyone.

You don't have armed bodyguards, and you probably don't live in a gated community, so I doubt you are a hypocrite by his standards.

You are entitled to your opinion, as am I.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 07:32:14 PM by TA »

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #175 on: December 29, 2012, 07:41:05 PM »
What did you post it for then? To show that some black people like guns too? I kinda new that - I listen to hip hop

Offline TA

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #176 on: December 29, 2012, 07:47:25 PM »
What did you post it for then? To show that some black people like guns too? I kinda new that - I listen to hip hop

It was directed at the debate as a whole.

TheoK

« Reply #177 on: May 12, 2013, 02:23:09 PM »
If only I had a £ for every time I've heard a retard make that "guns don't kill people - did the gun shoot someone by itself?" argument...

that, and the "let's ban cars as well, because people die in traffic accidents!" one

Enjoy being a slave to the rich.

Now that the snide comments are out of the way...

Believe it or not, I kinda have mixed feelings about it as well. Not beccause I think a society with guns is better than a society without (I'd much prefer to carry on living in a country with strict gun control than a country with laws similar to those in the US). But I know the situation over there isn't as simple as taking them away. It's a culture thing. I find it hard to get my head round how so many americans are big on guns and how so many seem to almost value their right to bare arms more than anything else.

All I can say is I'm glad my little brothers aren;t going to schools where there are armed guards at the doors incase a kid comes in and shoots the place up

Yes, it is a difference in culture mate, which is fine. Most Americans don't like being walked all over by the ruling class, that's why we want a way to fight back if push came to shove. Your people were apathetic when the ruling class disarmed you, now i'm worried you won't have a chance to stand up to them when they start being bigger dicks than they are now.

LOL

:facepalm2:

He is completely right - except that I doubt that a majority of Americans will ever fight "their" government, no matter how many guns they have. But the idea is completely right.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #178 on: May 12, 2013, 04:47:14 PM »
We Brits can Breed like fucking bunnies and force them to feed us.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 06:58:08 PM by McJaguar »
:gopher: