Educational

Author Topic: How do you drive in traffic without totally spazzing?  (Read 948 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: How do you drive in traffic without totally spazzing?
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2012, 10:23:05 PM »
The speed limits are really recommendations only. Sometimes they are intended to show minimum speeds. :tard:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2012, 10:26:02 PM »
The speed limits are really recommendations only. Sometimes they are intended to show minimum speeds. :tard:

So really, I may drive as fast as my car can go?  :orly:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2012, 10:42:38 PM »

So really, I may drive as fast as my car can go?  :orly:

Oh yes, why do you think they'd put all those numbers on the dashboard thingy there if they weren't allowed?  :nerdy:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phallacy

• Witchfinder General of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2012, 05:40:37 PM »
No one obeys the speed limit anyhow. They usually drive 50 in a 35 zone. And 60-70 in a 45 zone. While texting, of course. ::)

I wish public transportation was a million times better. Have buses in every town and trains in-between. The idea of everyone having their own car and being out and about is the stupidest fucking idea ever.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 05:42:11 PM by Orgasmatron »

midlifeaspie

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2012, 10:15:54 AM »
No one obeys the speed limit anyhow. They usually drive 50 in a 35 zone. And 60-70 in a 45 zone. While texting, of course. ::)

I wish public transportation was a million times better. Have buses in every town and trains in-between. The idea of everyone having their own car and being out and about is the stupidest fucking idea ever.

Says the kid with no car.  Damn, those grapes are sour!

Offline Phallacy

• Witchfinder General of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2012, 11:03:03 AM »

Because changing my avatar and name every day and being a constant instigator makes me clever! :autism:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2012, 11:29:59 AM »

Because changing my avatar and name every day and being a constant instigator makes me clever! :autism:

That makes a lot of sense there Dook.  Between being an instigator and being a lame parody of myself who says the exact same thing every time the same subject comes up, I'll take the former and call it clever.  :hahaha:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2012, 06:04:58 PM »

I wish public transportation were better too, but it isn't.  I've depended for years
  upon the (limited) bus service in my area, plus cabs (expensive) and family and friends
  with cars (inconvenient), and at age 46, feeling stuck in a dead-end job, I want to have
  the options of going to night school, travelling as I please, maybe even moving to a new
  city or state ... and none of that is easy in my current situation.  I don't want to be 50
  and still imposing on my brother and sister to drive me places when they may need
  MY help.  I'm going to feel like a spazzy idiot while I learn to drive, and god knows how
  I'll PAY for all the insurance, maintenance, gas, etc., but I need to become more
  independent.  Having a car would enable me to take paying gigs as a pet-sitter, so there
  is that.  I know of a few people who would pay me well, if I could get to their houses.  :apondering:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2012, 08:10:34 AM »
I basically have the min insurance (can't afford much else), I have it taken out in monthly installments...much easier to budget that way.

Focus should be good on gas, much easier than feeding a thirsty 6 cylinder.

Set some money aside and expect the unexpected...and to do a few minor repairs the first year if this car wasn't used much/sat awhile??

My truck basically sat for 10+ years only going back & forth to the P.O. and bank now and then so had to have tires right off, not because they were worn out but because of dry rot...battery, wiper blades, tune up, etc. A bunch of small stuff the first year...abs sensor, wipers dying every rain storm (thankfully an easy fix)...this one (Focus) sounds newer so hopefully won't have any problems.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2012, 10:09:40 AM »

Where do you live (UK, US, in a town, in a city)?  Because, some places, you can't not have a car and still function.  Some places you can.  Some places, you kinda can.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2012, 10:45:02 AM »
You've been given great advice, and I'm not much help because driving is what relaxes me and I can stay relaxed during the worst of traffic situations. but I do know you'll do well. Just do it at your own pace while you're learning and with practice, it all gets much easier. :hug:
"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." - Anonymous

"Sleep, structure and time are a wonderful loom to weave a life on." ~ Her Majesty

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2012, 02:40:43 AM »
Driving relaxes me, too.

- Albert Einstein

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2012, 03:08:48 AM »
Driving helps me think. 

I problem solve behind the wheel.  Doesn't work so well
in heavy traffic.  Don't get road rage, but i am a fucker
with a supermarket trolley! :viking:
blah blah blah

midlifeaspie

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2012, 09:45:49 AM »
I just use an iPhone app to avoid traffic

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2012, 11:02:37 AM »
Cbc, you'll do fine with a little determination and practice.  My aunt lost the vision in one eye when she was a child.  She didn't learn to drive until she was in her 60's.  She was a cautious driver, knew her limits and did well.  So can you.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv: