Educational

Author Topic: In the Path of Hurricane Irene  (Read 2392 times)

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
In the Path of Hurricane Irene
« on: August 26, 2011, 05:23:38 PM »
They are closing New York City as of noon tomorrow. They are telling people to evacuate now (mandatory); they have to get out by 5pm tomorrow. Public transportation is free as of 8pm. They are storing the trains and buses (apparently it takes 8 hours) starting at noon.
Wow. They are taking this very seriously.
My mother lives almost at the top of a hill. I am staying here in case of emergency. It is a tough go about my car but nothing for it right now. I am going to try to park it safely.

Others are skeptical. My mom went out to the U.S. Open.
It will be annoying if the power goes out, but it would be worse if I was at her summer house.

New Jersey is saying they will stop rescues when the wind reaches a particular speed.

Apparently the ocean is already rising.

Fun fun fun.

I wish I had somewhere to go so I could use the free public transportation. People are buying prodigious amounts of water.  We filled a couple of gallon bottles. I'm overweight so not worried about food. Without internet I will suffer.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: In the Path of Hurricane Irene
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 05:29:57 PM »
A couple of gallons of water doesn't seem like a lot.  Scrub and clean the bathtub and fill it with water.  If the electricity goes out your water supply might not work, even if it's municipal.  The water in the toilet tank can be used for quick washes since it's clean.  If you have them or can get one or 2, fill a garbage can with water. 

Use a wastebasket lined with a plastic grocery bag (with handles).  Put some cat litter, newspaper, paper towels in it to use as an emergency toilet.  Just put the bags outside until they can be sent to the trash. 

Play cards to pass the time.  Good luck
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 06:05:34 PM »
Good point about the pumps. Sigh, and I left a water bottle outside at my mom's summer house. I guess I will ask her to ask her neighbor to take it in so it doesn't do damage.

One of the reasons we have so little water is because we have all these containers of juice and soup. However, we will fill the bathtub in the hopes of being able to flush the toilet.

We also have a couple of water filters.

Its looking like all we're going to get is a storm surge. But this area was hard hit by the snow in the winter and then the rain spring and summer - everything is already overloaded.

Sigh.
It's too much. They are cancelling things for Monday. I got an email from my travel agent and I'm not even going until Wednesday. It's moving *east,* FFS!
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Osensitive1

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 06:23:49 PM »
Good luck and be safe, wolfish.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 06:32:09 PM »
Be safe. I will be thinking of you and all of my other friends there.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 06:34:52 PM »
eh, now it's moved west.
*fills the bathtub*

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 06:36:23 PM »
It won't hit you?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 06:38:14 PM »
Here's hoping it misses you all together Wolfish. Stay safe.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 06:40:02 PM »
Here's hoping it misses you all together Wolfish. Stay safe.

Agreed.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 06:57:42 PM »
One of the projections I saw today had the eye passing over Central Long Island then over Ct between New Haven and Bridgeport  that is just where I am :o  I am less than a mile from the water too.  The only thing I worry about is my tent garage ripping though.  Other than that I make it a point to be ready for most things all the time and my work in construction is a big help.  I already have generators , a chain saw, tarps and all the other emergency stuff all the time. As for water the entire area here was designed to be gravity feed from reservoirs I do have some but I have never seen the supply disrupted.  For power like I said I have two generators I use for work and I am on the same grid as the local hospital.  Our mayor has urged people in the flood prone  areas right on the beach to evacuate and put numbers on the wind gust reach 55mph nobody will come out :zombiefuck:  Where they come up with these numbers I have no idea but 55mph gusts is nothing. 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 08:27:39 PM »
One of the projections I saw today had the eye passing over Central Long Island then over Ct between New Haven and Bridgeport  that is just where I am :o  I am less than a mile from the water too.  The only thing I worry about is my tent garage ripping though.  Other than that I make it a point to be ready for most things all the time and my work in construction is a big help.  I already have generators , a chain saw, tarps and all the other emergency stuff all the time. As for water the entire area here was designed to be gravity feed from reservoirs I do have some but I have never seen the supply disrupted.  For power like I said I have two generators I use for work and I am on the same grid as the local hospital.  Our mayor has urged people in the flood prone  areas right on the beach to evacuate and put numbers on the wind gust reach 55mph nobody will come out :zombiefuck:  Where they come up with these numbers I have no idea but 55mph gusts is nothing.

Unless you're trying to fight a fire with the possibility of live wires coming down around you and storm debris being blown about.  Ditto for EMT and police.  Most of the time they send the fire trucks out of harm's way ahead of time.  Losing one to flood or storm damage is way expensive and inconvenient.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 08:29:38 PM »
It won't hit you?
We're still in the projected path but since it's going back and forth it's hard to say. Still expecting flooding since the area already waterlogged.

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 08:36:15 PM »

when i had my own place i had emergency stuff on hand all the time. we have a crank radio and flashlight in florida. here my mom doesn't even know where her flashlights are. at least we did the water, which i need because i have developed some thing where i sweat when the temp is above 21C.

#Dancewithgarygopher

Osensitive1

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 08:40:26 PM »
An American who uses celsius?

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 09:12:40 PM »
An American who uses celsius?
I prefer accuracy to imperialism.
Also my ex and current partners are both Canadian.

#Dancewithgarygopher