Educational

Author Topic: Just one quick bitch, part two  (Read 234907 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Just one quick bitch, part two
« Reply #465 on: September 11, 2011, 08:05:30 AM »
Peter--did you use to have an MSN install on that machine?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #466 on: September 11, 2011, 08:30:38 AM »
Peter--did you use to have an MSN install on that machine?

No, it's a clean install.

You can talk on messenger though your hotmail inbox page. IDK if that would be very convenient, though, as you really cant personalize your statuses. I think it is just considered "web messenger"

I know, and it will do if I can't figure out anything better.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #467 on: September 11, 2011, 09:09:35 AM »
Not a guaranteed solution, but:

If IE is your default browser, download another Internet browser (like Firefox) and set it as the default.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #468 on: September 11, 2011, 10:45:02 AM »
Not a guaranteed solution, but:

If IE is your default browser, download another Internet browser (like Firefox) and set it as the default.

Firefox is already my default browser.  I think I'm doomed to web-client crappiness.  :(
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #469 on: September 11, 2011, 02:21:03 PM »
Do you go through a router of some kind? And if you do, have you made sure that every port required by MSN is open?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #470 on: September 11, 2011, 03:29:35 PM »
I have a NAT router, but the diagnostic tests that MSN runs say that it can connect without any problems.  It's just doesn't actually connect when I want it to.  I also don't know what ports MSN uses in order to create a port forwarding rule for it, if one is required. 

My computer has a wired connection to the router.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #471 on: September 11, 2011, 04:52:22 PM »
Check that port 1863 is open.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927847

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #472 on: September 11, 2011, 06:09:30 PM »

I set up rules to open that port on my router and on Windows Firewall, but it didn't help, however I then tried disabling Windows Firewall completely and now it works.  I'd previously tried making a program-based rule in Windows Firewall for MSN, so I don't know what the secret is to getting Windows Firewall and MSN to work together, but at least I can choose between them now and I know roughly where the problem is.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #473 on: September 11, 2011, 06:24:01 PM »
Good grief.  Are you guys brain surgeons or rocket scientists?  I was lost from the word MSN
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #474 on: September 11, 2011, 08:31:44 PM »

I set up rules to open that port on my router and on Windows Firewall, but it didn't help, however I then tried disabling Windows Firewall completely and now it works.  I'd previously tried making a program-based rule in Windows Firewall for MSN, so I don't know what the secret is to getting Windows Firewall and MSN to work together, but at least I can choose between them now and I know roughly where the problem is.

Try resetting the Firewall settings to default.

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #475 on: September 11, 2011, 09:23:12 PM »
Got a call from a Telstra guy saying my phone line is fixed. Oh yeah? We'll see about that! :eyebrow:

Said there was a fault at the exchange, but I think he meant in the MDF. He was just outside my house apparently :dunno:

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #476 on: September 12, 2011, 04:26:00 AM »

Try resetting the Firewall settings to default.

I've got it working by disabling Windows Firewall for my LAN while keeping it active for the internet, which is good enough for now.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #477 on: September 12, 2011, 04:35:41 AM »
Do you guys get those cunts from India ringing up to say you are having computer problems, even though you aren't?

Fucking call centres.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #478 on: September 12, 2011, 05:13:55 AM »
Windows Firewall sucks.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #479 on: September 12, 2011, 05:17:53 AM »
Do you guys get those cunts from India ringing up to say you are having computer problems, even though you aren't?

Fucking call centres.

Nope, but I've had customers who did. Some of them are so naive they actually pay these fuckers 500 dollars just to get their computers cleaned from viruses they (the Indians) themselves put when they're allowed remote access, lol.

And then they come crying to us about how their computers still have viruses in them even after the Indians helped them out ...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 05:19:55 AM by MCalavera »