Educational

Author Topic: Just one quick bitch, part two  (Read 231652 times)

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Just one quick bitch, part two
« Reply #15075 on: October 14, 2019, 07:13:14 AM »
Why is it impossible to get both vinyl planks and hybrid flooring in the same shades from the same brand?
Why does the hybrid range of hybrid range of products have one shade range and the vinyl have another?

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #15076 on: October 14, 2019, 09:20:09 AM »
Another interesting weekend at work.  Saturday night I picked up and placed a box on it's palette and the next thing I know the front of my pants is covered in a thick white smelly liquid.  And it stunk like a chemical flower bouquet.  The stench drove me crazy until I was able to get away at lunch and go home and change my clothes.  I was pissed at the incompetence and carelessness of the warehouse crew that packed the truck.  Apparently some of my fellow workers were also pissed at the stench that resulted from the crushed box of smelly laundry detergent.  Fortunately, I was wearing the Duluth Trading Co. pants that Carla bought me awhile ago and they proved their worth by drying out quickly, though the stench remained.  I have washed them twice in an effort to get the smell out.  Looks like the 2nd time will be the charm to remove it or at least make it barely noticeable.  That and some air drying out in the sun.   :laundry:

I am very sensitive to strong odors, as is Carla and Amber.  Though being smell sensitive in nursing had it's advantages in nursing.   8)
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #15077 on: October 14, 2019, 10:15:02 AM »
Found a crack in a big vise I bought

Sorry. A big vise is probably worth fixing.
They just don't make them like they used to.

Last year (EDIT: nope, it was two years ago) I took apart and restored a two HP thirty inch wide buffing machine from the fifties that just needed new bearings and a bit of TLC to kick ass at thirty four hundred RPM again spinning twelve inch buffing wheels. Fortunately, it ran on single phase two twenty, instead of three phase.

Don't have three phase service in my garage. :bigcry:

PS:
You will never guess what the most common use for that powerful machine has been since I fixed it up again. 
I often get DVDs or CDs from the library. More often, someone has been abusive with the "county owned equipment"  and left them scratched and hardly playable, especially when they are terribly scratched with parallel running circumferential scratches. I wonder how that even happens. Obviously it is caused by a really dirty DVD player using it.  How filthy do some people allow their DVD and CD players to get, anyway?

I sometimes run out to my huge, two horse power, massive buffer and polish the plastic discs on my two inch wide, twelve inch diameter flannel wheel. Takes a delicate touch.
It almost always restores a disc to playable.

I have also shined up and blued most of my older hand tools that had some neglect showing.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 10:31:20 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #15078 on: October 21, 2019, 07:28:49 AM »
Chipped a tooth and had to skip a train early this morning to find a dentist who can fix it on short notice. :GA:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #15079 on: October 21, 2019, 09:43:21 AM »
Used a new grocery pick up service where they shop for you and you show up to a certain location in the store and pick up all of your items at once. The week is slammed and I was out of choices to do it the regular way. I had no idea they would be emailing me to tell me they couldn't give me 9 of my items until I got home and put everything away and realized 9 items were missing.  ::)
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #15080 on: October 21, 2019, 11:24:17 AM »
Tried something like that as early as the 90s and was never impressed.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #15081 on: October 21, 2019, 05:53:32 PM »
There's an excellent one that I tried that delivers the groceries to your house but it's far too spendy. I will give this one a second try to see if this was a one off because my schedule doesn't always have room for a regular weekly one hour shop. And during the winter it would be handy.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #15082 on: October 21, 2019, 07:50:50 PM »
Haven't tried the pickup service at ours. Thinking it might come in handy in the winter though.

Another interesting weekend at work.  Saturday night I picked up and placed a box on it's palette and the next thing I know the front of my pants is covered in a thick white smelly liquid.  And it stunk like a chemical flower bouquet.  The stench drove me crazy until I was able to get away at lunch and go home and change my clothes.  I was pissed at the incompetence and carelessness of the warehouse crew that packed the truck.  Apparently some of my fellow workers were also pissed at the stench that resulted from the crushed box of smelly laundry detergent.  Fortunately, I was wearing the Duluth Trading Co. pants that Carla bought me awhile ago and they proved their worth by drying out quickly, though the stench remained.  I have washed them twice in an effort to get the smell out.  Looks like the 2nd time will be the charm to remove it or at least make it barely noticeable.  That and some air drying out in the sun.   :laundry:

I am very sensitive to strong odors, as is Carla and Amber.  Though being smell sensitive in nursing had it's advantages in nursing.   8)

Same. White vinegar in the rinse or borax added to the wash sometimes works really well.

Neighbor gifted me with some beautiful things over the years, but she loves perfume.  ;) It's a curse and kind of cool. I've sniffed out gas...etc leaks that other people couldn't even smell. A couple with the potential to go boom in a big way. 

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #15083 on: October 22, 2019, 07:57:32 PM »
Every time the new cat skates across the keyboard he hits airplane mode and dims the screen. Every. time.

He also loves to dip his paws into the princess's water bowl, flood the kitchen with it, sneak attack the 18 lb male and steal his food, and steal any trinket left unattended.

He was a complete angel the first week...now all hell has broke loose.  :zoinks: :laugh:

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #15084 on: October 23, 2019, 04:18:30 PM »
Every time the new cat skates across the keyboard he hits airplane mode and dims the screen. Every. time.

He also loves to dip his paws into the princess's water bowl, flood the kitchen with it, sneak attack the 18 lb male and steal his food, and steal any trinket left unattended.

He was a complete angel the first week...now all hell has broke loose.  :zoinks: :laugh:
Such a typical cat :lol1:
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #15085 on: October 24, 2019, 10:25:12 AM »
There's an excellent one that I tried that delivers the groceries to your house but it's far too spendy. I will give this one a second try to see if this was a one off because my schedule doesn't always have room for a regular weekly one hour shop. And during the winter it would be handy.

I always liked the idea but the problem was always that someone else than me would pick the greeneries, meat, whatever, and I would be unhappy.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #15086 on: October 25, 2019, 08:52:09 AM »

I always liked the idea but the problem was always that someone else than me would pick the greeneries, meat, whatever, and I would be unhappy.

That makes sense. The only issue I've had so far is with fruit. Veggies and meats have been okay because the meat especially was just basic (ground beef, stew beef, chicken etc). If I want the nice stuff like roasts and steaks I'd go to the local butcher myself. Their fruit picking is hit and miss though. It shouldn't be spoiling less than 48 hours of bringing it home.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #15087 on: October 25, 2019, 09:29:54 AM »
Company said no to a standards working group meeting next month, even though they promised they would cover those when they hired me.

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #15088 on: October 25, 2019, 03:50:22 PM »
I know how you detest spiders Odeon. I kind of do too, except to look at and photograph and possibly obsess over and maybe just jump when one touches me.
I have reservations about just killing them, though, such that if a living spider ever eats even one mosquito, I want to look it in its ten furry little eyes and send it on its way to continue doing "good work."

BUT, yesterday we turned on our furnace for the first time since last May and it did not act right. I saw fire in the box, but not in the actual massive burner area. It was not right.
I shut it down, called the service tech and got through below freezing temperatures overnight with just our space heaters (before bed, mind you - I would never leave one of those running without watching it!).

SO, the service tech spent half an hour taking it apart and way more searching for a cause and finally he found the problem.

THERE WAS A SPIDER, DEAD, but inside the tiny orifice where the gas goes to the big burner. So the gas was being sprayed away from the proper area and just going inside the containment of the furnace unit and burning.

Sounds dangerous, right?  I feel that if I had not seen iffy stuff going on with the fire and not felt heat coming from the unit, it could easily have gotten out of control and burned our house down.

That spider died trying to nest there and I hope it choked on its last breath, not that they do that or anything, but FUCK!!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 03:57:21 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #15089 on: October 25, 2019, 03:56:19 PM »
They gave us a break on the service call, since we know everybody and stuff. It took the tech over two hours to figure it all out and so it was still a one hundred and fifty six dollar spider exhumation.

:GA: