Educational

Author Topic: Just one quick bitch, part two  (Read 233490 times)

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Re: Just one quick bitch, part two
« Reply #12990 on: May 13, 2017, 03:54:51 PM »
Pyraxis, do they know you're autistic at your work?

No. I've tried to keep it that way. I really don't want to have that conversation and I don't have any official paperwork to back it up with. I tend to be a really private person who keeps my home life as separate as possible from my work life. I couldn't get around telling them about my partner's illness and that was bad enough. Had to tell them because of health insurance stuff.

WolFish has tried to convince me to tell them I have prosopagnosia without bringing anything else into it, but I haven't been able to wrap my head around how to do that yet.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12991 on: May 13, 2017, 05:30:59 PM »
Pyraxis, do they know you're autistic at your work?

No. I've tried to keep it that way. I really don't want to have that conversation and I don't have any official paperwork to back it up with. I tend to be a really private person who keeps my home life as separate as possible from my work life. I couldn't get around telling them about my partner's illness and that was bad enough. Had to tell them because of health insurance stuff.

WolFish has tried to convince me to tell them I have prosopagnosia without bringing anything else into it, but I haven't been able to wrap my head around how to do that yet.

If it affects your work performance then it is a part of your work life.  It needs to be brought up to the company.  You are doing yourself a great disservice by not disclosing this.  JMHO.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #12992 on: May 13, 2017, 06:42:57 PM »
Thinking it's a bad idea and telling them that isn't going to excuse or help the fact that people find you unapproachable. Stop being so unapproachable at work; it's the only thing that's going to help. It's not a simple as it sounds, I get that. It takes a concentrated effort. It's important to people to have their existence acknowledged; not sure why but it simply is. They're taking up space nearby and must be noticed. Knowing their face or name isn't important with when passing in the halls and elevators. Look at them, smile, say hello or good morning, compliment a piece their clothing, or say some banal crap about the weather. Whatever. Most people need this and no one's personal problems will ever change that. Can't even pee at work without the obligation to say hello to someone most of the time, and that's just a fact of life. Telling people about face blindness isn't going to change the problem or make them care, and face blindness doesn't have anything to do with not acknowledging someone's presence in the room.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #12993 on: May 13, 2017, 08:49:23 PM »
I can't remember names, never could. Usually with faces or just people in general I notice one or two quirks that makes me recognize them in a grocery store. I pick up on stupid tics, the way people talk, walk, etc.

...but I hardly ever remember names.

But most of the time I can just say...hi...blah, blah, blah...and pull it off. Then two hours later I might remember the name that went with the face. I worked with the public for so many years I can just put on the mask even when I'm totally clueless.

Think about...if you were their boss how would you greet them?

Maybe just try to say hi, smile, like Jack said, avoid the ones you can, try to quickly acknowledge them when you have to...pretend they work for you...and if one of them takes it as an invitation and tries to follow you to your car at the end of the day...just beat them senseless in the parking lot.

Just make sure they can still talk, so that they spread the word and you'll never have to do it again. ;)

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #12994 on: May 13, 2017, 08:59:01 PM »
Thinking it's a bad idea and telling them that isn't going to excuse or help the fact that people find you unapproachable. Stop being so unapproachable at work; it's the only thing that's going to help. It's not a simple as it sounds, I get that. It takes a concentrated effort. It's important to people to have their existence acknowledged; not sure why but it simply is. They're taking up space nearby and must be noticed. Knowing their face or name isn't important with when passing in the halls and elevators. Look at them, smile, say hello or good morning, compliment a piece their clothing, or say some banal crap about the weather. Whatever. Most people need this and no one's personal problems will ever change that. Can't even pee at work without the obligation to say hello to someone most of the time, and that's just a fact of life. Telling people about face blindness isn't going to change the problem or make them care, and face blindness doesn't have anything to do with not acknowledging someone's presence in the room.

This seems realistic and fits with my understanding of human nature and workplace social interaction.

My current manager, who is probably the most awesome one I've ever had, but sadly I will be switching managers soon - he understands well that I'm introverted and tries to cover for me/advocate for me. For example he's repeated my opinions when they weren't being heard in a group, he showed up to initiate things when I had to "run" a meeting, and he acknowledged that people can't just change their personality at will. He said it's contradictory, because people will say I'm friendly and happy to help out with problems, but the same people will say that I'm hard to approach. Basically I need to work on seeking people out more, stopping by their desks to see how they're doing.

Blah. This is no longer a quick bitch.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12995 on: May 14, 2017, 01:18:04 AM »
Blah. This is no longer a quick bitch.

Not a quick bitch at least. :zoinks:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #12996 on: May 14, 2017, 01:46:50 AM »
There's a chronic bitch thread somewhere.  :nerdy:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #12997 on: May 14, 2017, 01:49:58 AM »
Mosquito had a go at me, at the inside of my wrist. Usually I hardly feel the bite, nor does it make a big spot. This time it is growing big.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #12998 on: May 15, 2017, 03:54:58 PM »
Basically I need to work on seeking people out more, stopping by their desks to see how they're doing.
Personally don't take it that far, but do make an effort to acknowledge everyone.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12999 on: May 15, 2017, 09:38:35 PM »
Monkeygirl just got diagnosed with strep throat. I find this out after she's been sharing drinks with me for 2 days.  :hahaha:
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #13000 on: May 15, 2017, 11:48:02 PM »
Monkeygirl just got diagnosed with strep throat. I find this out after she's been sharing drinks with me for 2 days.  :hahaha:

Oops.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #13001 on: May 16, 2017, 08:02:49 AM »

Oops.
Oh no! You could be at risk too. We shared water.  :autism:
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13002 on: May 16, 2017, 09:32:37 AM »
Need to hunt down the document that will bring me some $.  It's either in the house or the car.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #13003 on: May 17, 2017, 11:30:57 AM »
Vet bills for the evil cat that I hate the most. 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #13004 on: May 17, 2017, 11:52:11 AM »
Dishwasher broke down.

- Albert Einstein