Author Topic: The right to bear arms  (Read 19306 times)

Litigious

Re: The right to bear arms
« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2006, 05:13:09 AM »
What gives you the right to label people cowards simply for disagreeing with you? 

Everyone who accepts or, worse, even urges a freedom to be taken away from him/her is a coward in my eyes. Everyone who just surrenders without no reason is a coward to me.

Quote from: purposefulinsanity

The reason I don't think that guns should be more easily available is because I see the damage that the brain dead do to each other and innocent people with knives, their fists, broken bottles, etc and I don't particulalrly want to make it easier for them to get hold of weapons that mean they wouldn't even have to get close enough for those they are attacking to defend themselves in order to attack them.  What good is your gun safely locked away in a gun cupboard going to be to you when you're walking down the street and some pissed up wanker decides to shoot at you for kicks?

But I say guns should not be locked in. Law abiding citizens would of course have the right to bear their guns in public. You still have that right in most states in the US, at least on the countryside or would get a "concealed carrying" license for it very easily, not like in Europe, where it's totally out of the question for ordinary citizens to walk around able to protect themselves. But even concealed carrying licenses are too much. Gun ownership should be totally free in every aspect, just like it was in the US from the beginning. As soon as you have a gun register, the little man in principle has lost the battle and Big Brother can fuck him up the arse.

And Carla can know why the founding fathers granted americans the right to bear arms without agreeing with it.

Sure. She just totally missed their point.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2006, 05:18:24 AM »
Ok I see your point, but I think that having a gun makes it easier for the cowards to attack people.   What if you have your gun on your person but you don't see the person shooting at you before its too late?  After all its not like they're going to slap you across the face with their gloves and politely challenge you to a duel is it??

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2006, 05:26:40 AM »
-1 for your comment.

I only think freedom should be sacrificed when it involves harming others. Everyone deserves to be safe, and when someone is murdered by a gun, their right to live is being taken away. It pisses me off that children die because their idiot parents are allowed to have guns.

You're going to be a teacher and you don't even know why your Founding Fathers granted every American to keep and bear arms? Do you think that a government is something sent from heaven, that will never hurt you and your loved ones for no reason whatsoever? Does it look like that, if you look around the world?

How exactly would you fight a dictator unarmed? Look at the Iraquis. They have had the right to keep and bear arms and they can fight the Americans pretty good, though your army is much stronger. I'm not on their side, but you get my point? Armed citizens can always stand up against the military, because they are so many and the military can't know who is armed and who is not. Unarmed citizens are cattle that can be slaughtered by the tyrants. Would you like that to happen to your children? 

The right to keep and bear arms is one of the things that many Europeans admire America for, that is, the ones of us who aren't cowards. Ever since I was a child, I have cursed my cowardly countrymen, who have accepted an unjust gun law to be put up upon them. I regret deeply that I didn't try to migrate to the US when I was younger. I could do that only to get that precious right, to be armed like a man, that is, my right being it, not some fucking privilege that some jerk would give me like I were a pet or a child, who had no rights of my own.

Do you know who are armed in public in Europe except for the police? THE CRIMINALS! They have machine guns and hand grenades, even here in Sweden. And the law abiding citizen has no right to bear arms in public to defend himself against them, if he would happen to get in their way. He's a slaughter sheep. Is that what you call safety?

You're almost 300 millions Americans. About 11000 are getting killed every year in gun related crimes. That is 11 out of 300000. That's not much, considering that they're offered upon the altar of freedom. If I were an American and my child were killed by a school shooting, it would break my heart and I'd feel sorrow for it the rest of my life, just like everyone else, but I would know that it wasn't totally meaningless and I would accept the sacrifice, even if my heart would be aching for the rest of my life. Isn't there an American expression "You always have to pay for everything"? That goes for freedom too. Particularly for freedom.

Not everything the founding fathers did was wonderful, especially not the right to bear arms. How dare you try to tell me what I do or don't know. Just because I disagree with you, doesn't mean I'm wrong. This is all a matter of OPINION. I've spoken to many Europeans who dislike the USA's policy on guns and agree that it's one of the negative things about my country. Also, 11,000 people is a hell of a lot of people. The amount of people in the entire country does NOT take away from that. 11,000 people's lives shouldn't be valued just because they are in the minority? What the hell? Also, I was specifically speaking about my country, not Europe. As far as I'm concerned, the USA has gone to hell and I'd rather live in a European country.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #108 on: November 20, 2006, 05:28:27 AM »
In my opinion, if you use a weapon to fight your battles, you're a coward.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #109 on: November 20, 2006, 05:29:58 AM »
What gives you the right to label people cowards simply for disagreeing with you?  The reason I don't think that guns should be more easily available is because I see the damage that the brain dead do to each other and innocent people with knives, their fists, broken bottles, etc and I don't particulalrly want to make it easier for them to get hold of weapons that mean they wouldn't even have to get close enough for those they are attacking to defend themselves in order to attack them.  What good is your gun safely locked away in a gun cupboard going to be to you when you're walking down the street and some pissed up wanker decides to shoot at you for kicks?

And Carla can know why the founding fathers granted americans the right to bear arms without agreeing with it.

Thank you, PI.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #110 on: November 20, 2006, 05:30:59 AM »

No, but you apparently missed mine.

Litigious

« Reply #111 on: November 20, 2006, 05:32:31 AM »
In my opinion, if you use a weapon to fight your battles, you're a coward.

If you try to fight criminals or tyrants without weapons, you're dead meat.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #112 on: November 20, 2006, 05:34:39 AM »
It all depends. Your chances of getting attacked also depend on where you live.

Litigious

« Reply #113 on: November 20, 2006, 05:38:02 AM »

I've spoken to many Europeans who dislike the USA's policy on guns and agree that it's one of the negative things about my country.

Yes, because most Europeans are cowards. That's how most dictators here came to power in the first place. That's why the Europeans needed American help to stop the war in Yugoslavia and then, as usual, blamed the US instead of thanking them.

Litigious

« Reply #114 on: November 20, 2006, 05:40:30 AM »

They shouldn't. No law abiding citizen should have to fear any part of their own country any time of the day.

In a country ruled by a tyrant every square inch is insecure.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #115 on: November 20, 2006, 07:10:44 AM »

I've spoken to many Europeans who dislike the USA's policy on guns and agree that it's one of the negative things about my country.

Yes, because most Europeans are cowards. That's how most dictators here came to power in the first place. That's why the Europeans needed American help to stop the war in Yugoslavia and then, as usual, blamed the US instead of thanking them.

Back to school, Litigious. You don't know what the hell you're talking about. most dictators come to power in  ways a lot more sneaky than that. Consider Hitler as an example. It had nothing to do with cowardice. Misinformation, absolutely. Cowardice, no.

They shouldn't. No law abiding citizen should have to fear any part of their own country any time of the day.

In a country ruled by a tyrant every square inch is insecure.

Cheap propaganda, and not necessarily true. Consider Iraq before the US decided to "liberate" it. How many died there before the war, and how many after?

And I'm not even counting the victims of the daily allied bombs, btw.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #116 on: November 20, 2006, 07:13:21 AM »

Or simply disagreed with it. Just as she probably disagrees with their views on slavery.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #117 on: November 20, 2006, 07:18:49 AM »

Or simply disagreed with it. Just as she probably disagrees with their views on slavery.

yopu also forgot to mention how they omitted women from the rights to hold public office, or vote.

but then again, they had to know that a shock to the system shouldn't be a priority, but a living constitution should be.  knowing full well that these matters would eventually work themselves out.  if the democracy that america was founded on was allowed to change with the times.

the original document and rights that were guaranteed where simply a compromise.
america struggled for true democracy for years.  we are now devolving, IMHO.
only because of the voting populace, who do not make informed decissions.  nor do they use their right to bear arms and rise against the machine.
Misunderstood.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #118 on: November 20, 2006, 07:20:48 AM »
yopu also forgot to mention how they omitted women from the rights to hold public office, or vote.

And a number other details. My point stands.

- Albert Einstein

Litigious

« Reply #119 on: November 20, 2006, 07:22:56 AM »

Back to school, Litigious. You don't know what the hell you're talking about. most dictators come to power in  ways a lot more sneaky than that. Consider Hitler as an example. It had nothing to do with cowardice. Misinformation, absolutely. Cowardice, no.

I can inform you that I had a 5 in history all the way up in high school and that WWII and Hitler are one of my special interests. It's the
citizens' obligation to keep themselves informed in a democracy. But they chose not to be informed. It's always easier to be passive and let others think for you.

Quote from: odeon

Cheap propaganda, and not necessarily true. Consider Iraq before the US decided to "liberate" it. How many died there before the war, and how many after?

And I'm not even counting the victims of the daily allied bombs, btw.

Sorry. A true dictatorship is Paradise on earth. Gives an extra spice to life never knowing when you will be arrested, raped, tortured or killed.