Educational

Author Topic: Guns, your opinions?  (Read 2589 times)

TheoK

Re: Guns, your opinions?
« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2011, 03:29:05 PM »
Not really a gun point here, but the thought of living in a society where everyone is responsible for their own, and their loved ones protection scares the shit out of me.

You always are, no matter the gun laws.

How often are the cops in your bedroom to defend you, when an intruder enters it?

DukeNukem

« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2011, 03:32:33 PM »
Not really a gun point here, but the thought of living in a society where everyone is responsible for their own, and their loved ones protection scares the shit out of me.

How often are the cops in your bedroom to defend you, when an intruder enters it?

When you're living with the cop(s)?

TheoK

« Reply #92 on: February 24, 2011, 03:38:39 PM »
 ::)

Yes.

In Sweden 0.3% of the population are cops. How likely is it that there is a cop in your bedroom?

But that's not the worst. The worst thing is that even if you do have a legal gun, the risk is very big that you end up in jail for shooting an intruder, even if you were literally totally unprovokedly attacked in your own bedroom in the middle of the night. People have even gone to jail here for shooting over the heads of burglars, even a 67 yo man who got a heart attack had to go to jail for a year or so for "risking" a burglar's life.  :thumbdn:

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #93 on: February 24, 2011, 04:09:30 PM »

More often than you'd imagine :eyebrows: :eyebrows: :eyebrows:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2011, 04:42:28 PM »
::)

Yes.

In Sweden 0.3% of the population are cops. How likely is it that there is a cop in your bedroom?

But that's not the worst. The worst thing is that even if you do have a legal gun, the risk is very big that you end up in jail for shooting an intruder, even if you were literally totally unprovokedly attacked in your own bedroom in the middle of the night. People have even gone to jail here for shooting over the heads of burglars, even a 67 yo man who got a heart attack had to go to jail for a year or so for "risking" a burglar's life.  :thumbdn:

It is very rare that a homeowner would be charged with a crime for shooting an intruder, in most states.  Some of those touchy/feely east coast states may be an exception or two, but generally, it is not considered cool to break into someone's home.

Many "Wrongful Death" civil suits are thrown out of court after finding that the dead family member was committing a felony when they were killed.  Honestly, the police officer who shoots a criminal is more likely to lose their job for shooting a perpetrator than an individual protecting his home.

Forget having to face criminal charges for protecting your home, except in some very rare circumstances.

... and yes, Butt'fly, even the three little old ladies in our neighborhood are fairly capable. One is a retired Marine Captain, who still has a husband, served in Viet Nam (although, as a finance officer), one is a widow, but still quite alive and American and the only other one living alone is an old redneck, baglady looking person (but, very cool and funny) who raised three strong boys on her own. There is one new family I do not know, yet, so they are a mystery and another family from the east (trouble, mostly, if they prove true to their stereotype).
This is mostly a family neighborhood with very few elderly in the two square miles I was talking about.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2011, 10:46:58 PM »

At least Pentagram will be safe. There's always a pig in his bedroom.
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2011, 05:14:48 AM »

Tig, you have to understand that this notion of being responsible for ones self is hardly possible in any kind of monarchy.  The very fact that these people have depended upon a monarch for all their protection, even food in some cases (literally for centuries upon centuries, SHIT!!), removes the the very possibility of any reasonable amount of self sufficiency.

A country set into being AND based upon the over throw of a monarchy may give those of us whose ancestors had REAL balls quite an advantage over the meek subjects of totalitarian rule.  I can clearly see how these types are so dependent to this day upon the petty government dole.

Addendum:   Unfortunately, these of shallow and weak character have also infiltrated my own country and they are alive and well.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 05:21:33 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2011, 06:25:16 AM »

More often than you'd imagine :eyebrows: :eyebrows: :eyebrows:

:plus:   Happy to help, Miss!  :police:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"