Author Topic: random thread, for all that you can't find an appropriate thread for.  (Read 25045 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: random thread, for all that you can't find an appropriate thread for.
« Reply #1020 on: October 16, 2017, 01:34:23 PM »
^I've been wondering if I should see it or not.

I didn't understand much (almost none) of the mathematics but the male actors, sets and script were pretty good.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1021 on: October 17, 2017, 12:16:46 AM »
Hmm. Maybe I should.

So many films to watch, so little time.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #1022 on: October 17, 2017, 01:44:33 AM »
Pretty much best avoided whenever possible IMO and thats as close as math gets to pretty anything, apart from 'pretty much a fucking pain in the damn arse'

I HATE math. And I am terrible at it too. I've always been badly dyscalculic, and even dialling in phone numbers reading from say a mobile phone is difficult. And after something nasty by way of neurological issues happened to me, my math abilities worsened to just on the numerate side of acalculic.

I've often thought that all in all, I make a pretty damn surprising candidate for anybody to be a chemist/biologist/pharmacologist/toxicologist given quite how atrociously awful I am at math, I have a strong theory that the fact I still am is a gift conferred on me by my autism, since it is not in the nature of Kanner's folk to be flighty and to be anything but persistent when whatever it is is something they love. Sure, I have no choice but to use that hated enemy of mine, mathematical calculations, and to get them right, even if it means shaving bits off a sum or adding bits on tiny figure increments at a time until I hit on the needed answer using a calculator, and that I ALWAYS need to use special software specifically designed for chemistry, such as molar amount calculators, tools to automatically fr.ex 'add X quantity of Y percent or molarity solution of compound of Z molar weight to =how much of Z to add to a specified quantity of solvent to get a solution of A percent/B molarity or C-containing D fraction of a mole per E volume of solvent and such things as that. But there are some nifty and certainly to me not just useful but damn well essential bits of online software I can do all those difficult, frustrating, sometimes otherwise impossible for me and always certain to A-need double, triple and quadruple checking several times over, and B-give me a pounding headache in the front of my head as a result of the intense concentration needed for even (to anybody else) simple calculations.

But what I can't do, the software can, and being 'severely' (gag.puke.die) autistic and consequently 'perseverating' so much (likewise..christ, its really taking the piss taking perseverance, which in NTs is encouraged and considered praiseworthy and judging it as pathological, just because somebody happens to be autie or even aspie, thats one thing I really do find beyond the pale coming from NTs who think themselves superior to those such as myself and my fellow auties, and to aspies as well, its nowt short of fucking disgusting)

If I were NT and put that effort in despite my math difficulties, it would be 'perseverance' and putting in hard work and effort to achieve my goals, but being autie it is 'perseverating' as if it were a sign of a disease or disorder of some kind and whilst I don't get in any way criticized (not that I'd stand for it, or let it slide without snarking the perpetrator half to death) for it, it does sadden me to know that the efforts of many of my kin are put down like that, and their continuing towards their goals despite obstacles, by dint of effort and expenditure of mental concentration, time and drive to succeed in them is judged not as admirable, as the same people as pass such obscenities of judgement against auties, and even aspies too would judge their own NT children and adult family and/or friends for concentrating on even the very same thing until they succeded and praise them for carrying on in the face of hard, demanding tasks or goals until they attain success and yet move the goalposts for those on the spectrum. It is, in a word, sickening.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #1023 on: June 02, 2018, 11:59:54 AM »
REFLEXIONS D'ANONYME

An abandoned blockhouse built in 1944 on the beach on Dunkirk has been covered with shards of mirror. The project began in 2014, the vision of street artist Maria Manuella, along with the assistance of a group of students. The project simply calls themselves Anonymous.

Here's the project website, which has photos and video, if you'd like to see more than what's posted here. http://anonymeuntitled.wixsite.com/blockhaus

The images on the website wont link, so I took some from the wikilinks article instead.

:gopher:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #1024 on: June 03, 2018, 04:20:36 AM »
Bueller? Bueller? No art critics here? Okay, I'll go.

I have mixed emotions about the mirrored blockhouse. It makes me angry. I don't know what they used to adhere the mirror to the building, but I doubt it will stand the test of time, and that's a lot of glass on the beach. Also, old stone and concrete structures have a natural beauty, and beaches are public places, so defacing it in this way seems selfish like covering it in spray paint. There something in me shouting, who the hell do these people think they are? They're vandals and should be made to clean up their mess as a community service.

Judging it as a piece of art, it's pedestrian, probably because mirror mosaics have been done millions of times in millions of different ways. How unoriginal. Yet I've never seen one done in this way. I love it. I spent a lot of time looking at it and thinking about it. I'd like to experience it in person to just be with it. I don't even want to know the artists' intended message, because it speaks to me and knowing the true message would ruin it for me. It shouts, look at me, and now look at yourself. Though not being with it in person completely detracts from the latter part of that.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #1025 on: June 03, 2018, 10:16:48 AM »
I have nothing more to say than:

Shiny = happy

I totally love this and would probably burn my retinas out from staring at it in the sunlight if it was anywhere near me.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #1026 on: June 03, 2018, 03:07:46 PM »
I have nothing more to say than:

Shiny = happy

I totally love this and would probably burn my retinas out from staring at it in the sunlight if it was anywhere near me.

I have a weird relationship with mirrors. I don't really understand it myself, so it's not something I can explain to other people, other than just describing a lifetime of weird behavior associated to it. Although I do think it's why I tend to be drawn to things that are reflective. I usually feel like reflective pieces of art are about me, even though they probably aren't.  :dunno:

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #1027 on: June 07, 2018, 04:19:42 PM »
wow! looks alien or futuristic! wish the shardes were cemented together though because it would be a shame for it to erode sharp glass along the beach and into the sea. *sigh....  it looks really cool though.
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #1028 on: June 07, 2018, 04:29:01 PM »
wow! looks alien or futuristic! wish the shardes were cemented together though because it would be a shame for it to erode sharp glass along the beach and into the sea. *sigh....  it looks really cool though.

:bigcry: You're back!  :bigcry:

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1029 on: June 07, 2018, 04:46:56 PM »

Hey Genesis! How are you? you still into baseball? (i hope im remembering correctly...you did used to like baseball right? cubs fan?)

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #1030 on: June 07, 2018, 07:26:56 PM »

Hey Genesis! How are you? you still into baseball? (i hope im remembering correctly...you did used to like baseball right? cubs fan?)

Yeah, I'm still a baseball fan (mostly Cubs). I'm fine.... just been working as a janitor part-time :-/

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1031 on: June 07, 2018, 08:00:08 PM »

Yeah, I'm still a baseball fan (mostly Cubs). I'm fine.... just been working as a janitor part-time :-/

Is the job enjoyable? I was going to say "nice!", but noticed your emoticon isnt exactly looking pleased [ :-/ ].

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #1032 on: June 08, 2018, 02:20:34 PM »

Is the job enjoyable? I was going to say "nice!", but noticed your emoticon isnt exactly looking pleased [ :-/ ].

The people interaction is okay, it's just something I don't want to do for the rest of my life. (Which is why I'm wanting to go back to school)

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1033 on: June 08, 2018, 04:56:51 PM »

The people interaction is okay, it's just something I don't want to do for the rest of my life. (Which is why I'm wanting to go back to school)

What kind of jobs would you most enjoy if you had the opportunity?

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1034 on: June 08, 2018, 05:22:55 PM »
AHEM. ATTENTION ALL WHO ARE VIEWING THIS:

Is there already a thread about story (book, tv, or movie) characters who you identify with, and why? or a thread about dopplegangers?