Author Topic: what's everybody's favourite sweets?  (Read 4479 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: what's everybody's favourite sweets?
« Reply #150 on: November 30, 2016, 06:41:17 PM »
I hope I find Tim Tams at Target, because if I do I'm going to ask Sugarbutt if we can serve them for dessert when we have everyone over for Christmas Eve dinner, and we can have a big ole fam damily Aussie style Tim Tam Slam.  :lol1:

Silly varmint, WTF are you on about?  :zoinks: :lol2:

Madness loves company.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #151 on: December 04, 2016, 02:48:51 PM »

My wife has spent the afternoon making candied pecans with some of the older one we have from early in the fall.

She plans to give most of them to her friends.  :'(

Still plenty for us to enjoy for days and days.
WOW! Delicious.

(I should assume that most of you can not identify with using pecans so frivolously and expect that most are tired of hearing me talk about all the things we do with pecans around here, but you must understand, my mom ships us about twenty or thirty pounds or more of freshly shelled Texas grown pecans from their trees every year, I eat on them all year long in my own self created trail mixes. We make pecan butter. We make pies, We make cookies. We make sweet breads. We use them in Asian style cooking to replace almonds     ... and on and on and on ...       We are very fortunate to have a basically free source of the best pecans on the planet, because the damn things are very expensive if you have to buy them at a store around here, even five years old in packages.)
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #152 on: December 04, 2016, 03:45:46 PM »
Pecans and cashew nuts are about the tastiest ones. Cashew nut butter goes all fudgy and DELICIOUS when just taken out the fridge. Pecan nut butter must be heavenly. I've made nut butter before, it's very easy. You just blitz them.  :green:
:dog:

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #153 on: December 04, 2016, 05:26:35 PM »
Almond Rocha.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #154 on: December 04, 2016, 06:43:50 PM »
Almond Rocha.
Toffees are one of those thing that never come to mind, until they're there, and then it's complete wow. :laugh:

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #155 on: December 04, 2016, 08:07:19 PM »
I thought you meant these for a moment, as in Ferrero Rocher. They're crispy and have a melty white chocolate centre with an almond in the middle. They are so good.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #156 on: December 04, 2016, 11:54:04 PM »
I thought you meant these for a moment, as in Ferrero Rocher. They're crispy and have a melty white chocolate centre with an almond in the middle. They are so good.

Similar but not the same.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #157 on: December 05, 2016, 04:41:43 AM »
^ It's like a less viscous white chocolate spread in the middle, surrounded by a crispy wafer, then dipped in white chocolate and coated with coconut flakes.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #158 on: December 05, 2016, 06:23:58 AM »
  I used to love toffee bars such as Heath and Skor.  Can't eat them anymore because of my teeth.  :tard:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #159 on: August 10, 2022, 11:43:53 AM »
I've done it with a Penguin, the English equivalent. It's just like dipping a biscuit really. It's better if the tea is hot, because sucking it up through the biscuit cools the tea right down.

I tried Tim Tams and IMO, Penguin biscuits are WAY tastier.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #160 on: August 10, 2022, 12:06:14 PM »
I finally got the chance to do a TimTam slam and was horribly disappointed. It never occurred to me that the result of a TimTam slam is a giant mouthfull of sweet goo. I had stomach problems when I was a kid, back in the days when people didn't really know much about things like lactose and grain intolerances. Around the age off five I had to eat baby food for about a year, and ever since then sweet goo makes me gag.  :lol1: TimTams are pretty good on their own as a crispy cookie though, but I'm not much of a sweets person in general so I doubt I'll ever buy them again.  :dunno:
:gopher:

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #161 on: August 10, 2022, 03:19:44 PM »
I used to get snacks and goodies from a monthly box called Tokyo Crate... and the favorites I had sweet-wise was the different flavored Kit-Kats that were packaged into the box.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #162 on: August 13, 2022, 08:13:53 PM »
I heard that Starburst has discontinued their line of sweets. Someone on Facebook said they couldn't find them anywhere.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #163 on: August 13, 2022, 10:03:31 PM »
I heard that Starburst has discontinued their line of sweets. Someone on Facebook said they couldn't find them anywhere.

Sorry, but you may be right.

https://www.confectionerynews.com/Article/2022/08/12/starburst-lollies-gone-for-good-in-australia
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #164 on: August 13, 2022, 10:25:36 PM »
I make brittle sometimes and usually put pecans in it, instead of peanuts.
Super easy to make, just heat up some sugar with a little salt. Then add a bit of vanilla if you want. It has to get really scary hot and turn a little brown, then just pour it over your nuts on a flat sheet, carefully, and let it cool.

For something commercially available, I'll go with any dark chocolate.
Sometimes I buy a bag of dark, semi sweet chocolate chips intended for making cookies and just munch on them straight out of the bag.
My favorites are made by Ghirardelli.

I also melt down almond bark and make little balls, then roll them in crushed pecan powder. Pain in the ass, because I like more pecan flavor than almond bark. I have to make them small to get the balance just right.

My wife is the real confectioner, though. She makes fudge, divinity, truffles and something super rich and sweet,  "loaded with toothaches"  that she calls "chewy gooeys."