Educational

Author Topic: Swine flu  (Read 2828 times)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Swine flu
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2009, 07:24:02 AM »
I can't say I'm overly concerned about the "Swine flu". Not that I doubt it exists, but I think its effects have been blown vastly out of proportion by the media in order to sell newspapers. So far there are... what? 7 dead? Not many considering how the normal influensa annually kills between 200 000 to 300 000 people worldwide. Yeah, wow, we're clearly dealing with a dangrous pandemic here, alll right. Or, more likely, the global media must truly be desperate to sell newspapers.

I'm usually Little Miss Apocalypse Crier (rising gas prices, then the economy falling apart, scared the CHRIST out of me), but for some reason swine flu isn't worrying me at all, yet.  *shrug*

Sounds like you might enjoy my pal Ted's Youtube channel.

20 laboratory confirmed deaths from Influenza A H1N1 (swine flu), 101 suspected deaths.
How many people died from traffic accidents in that amount of time?

I don't know, but a lot.

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2009, 08:27:16 AM »
Eventually some strain will come along and wipe out a significant portion of the human population. Some day, a large asteroid or other object will collide with the Earth and destroy a large majority of the life on the planet. Eventually, the Sun will expand and take out at least Mercury, Venus, and Earth, but certainly forever change this Solar System and end life on this planet as we know it. :GA: Why bother getting worked up about it? Life sucks, then you die. Dust in the wind dudes!
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2009, 05:49:32 PM »
I can't say I'm overly concerned about the "Swine flu". Not that I doubt it exists, but I think its effects have been blown vastly out of proportion by the media in order to sell newspapers. So far there are... what? 7 dead? Not many considering how the normal influensa annually kills between 200 000 to 300 000 people worldwide. Yeah, wow, we're clearly dealing with a dangrous pandemic here, alll right. Or, more likely, the global media must truly be desperate to sell newspapers.

I'm usually Little Miss Apocalypse Crier (rising gas prices, then the economy falling apart, scared the CHRIST out of me), but for some reason swine flu isn't worrying me at all, yet.  *shrug*

20 laboratory confirmed deaths from Influenza A H1N1 (swine flu), 101 suspected deaths.

I don't know, but a lot.

42,636 in 2004 in the US

"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2009, 07:39:02 PM »
Well if you wanna know what I think.. oh brb another girl in the garden.  :o
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2009, 07:44:30 PM »
Went to Stratford toady location of one of the cases in ct not dead yet
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2009, 05:21:59 PM »

I don't know, but a lot.

42,636 in 2004 in the US

That's almost 116.5 per day. (the .5 with car accidents is not even hard to visualise  :zombiefuck:)
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2009, 07:59:05 PM »

I don't know, but a lot.

42,636 in 2004 in the US
OK.  Well, according to pandemicflu.gov, 36,000 people per year in the U.S. die of regular flu, and the most recent influenza pandemic (1968) caused about 34,000 U.S. deaths.

And yet, Biden is discouraging people from using public transportation?

Seems to me driving is the more likely option to turn lethal.

Anyway, decent illustration of why I'm not worried too much right now.  There's pretty much always something 'out there' that could kill me.  If I thought about each and every one of them all the time I'd never leave the house.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2009, 09:36:02 PM »

And yet, Biden is discouraging people from using public transportation?

Does that mean he won't be riding Amtrak back and forth until this thing is over? And doe it also mean he will stop boring people by talking about his trips on Amtrak?

Seriously, in the county in which I live (Orange), there were 2 reported cases as of yesterday. About 33 in the whole state. Pandemic this is not, unless people get REALLY careless. And people being people, well..."I don't understand humans. Being one doesn't seem to help."--Spider Robinson
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline Dacian

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2009, 08:00:19 AM »
A few cases wh are, let's face it, relatively isolated does not a pandemic make. It was something that never bothered me (partly because I don't really value my own lie, crap happens). Although I became concerned when my region became the third (and so far, I think, last) place in the country to be affected. The lack of precautions from members of the public and ignorance, it's annoying me.

Tthe government are sending out health information leaflets in the largest health education scheme since the 1980s AIDS campaign. I'm eagerly awaiting my brochure.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2009, 08:51:21 AM »
A few cases wh are, let's face it, relatively isolated does not a pandemic make. It was something that never bothered me (partly because I don't really value my own lie, crap happens). Although I became concerned when my region became the third (and so far, I think, last) place in the country to be affected. The lack of precautions from members of the public and ignorance, it's annoying me.

Tthe government are sending out health information leaflets in the largest health education scheme since the 1980s AIDS campaign. I'm eagerly awaiting my brochure.
"If you are a member of the local conservative association, please proceed kindly to the local village green. There we will keep you all in isolation... "

Wish that was on it...

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2009, 11:56:26 AM »

"If you are a member of the local conservative or liberal association, or if you are religious, please proceed kindly to the local village green. There we will keep you all in isolation... "

Wish that was on it...

Fixed.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2009, 03:08:01 PM »

"If you are a member of the local conservative or liberal association, or if you are religious, please proceed kindly to the local village green. There we will keep you all in isolation... "

Wish that was on it...

Fixed.
Ha - that will keep Lit happy. Wouldn't bother with the religious ones, just have to wait for Sunday and for them all to go to church.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2009, 04:47:19 PM »

Fly swoon?

Can we fall in love with a fly and swoon?

Better hurry! Mature flies of reproductive age have a relatively short life span, when compared to maggots, which can live for months, die from thirst and become rehydrated, then mature.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2009, 06:44:58 AM »
Nothing in the papers or TV news about H1N1 for days. And we're only 100 mi from Mehico. I call bullshit.
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

richard

« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2009, 11:51:03 AM »
swine flu has mysteriously vanished, but if it comes back you better believe the news media will blow it out of porportion
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 11:54:26 AM by richard »