Educational

Author Topic: Fires got a little to close for my liking.  (Read 1152 times)

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
Re: Fires got a little to close for my liking.
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 06:27:04 AM »
Your grass looks so dry it looks like it could catch fire easily.  Do you have water restrictions on watering lawns where you are?

Yeah we have water restrictions because of the drought that has been going on for so many years now, but with it being summer and having those really hot days on end, the grass has just dried right out pretty much everywhere. I'm glad I cut it a few weeks ago as it's been really long due to me being lazy and no bastard we rang would come around and mow it for is (professionally). We rang like 3 different guys and made appointments and none of them ever showed up.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 11:31:43 AM »
We have had water restrictions off and on for the past several years here.  Fortunately they haven't gotten that bad where we live yet, since we have a better water supply than most other cities near us.

Offline SleepyDragon

• Little Green Lizard of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 03:03:42 AM »
All joking about marshmallows aside, bushfires are plenty scary all right. We were evacuated from our home during the Black Christmas bushfires, and I still remember the sight of trees and telegraph poles well alight on both sides of the road as we were driving out of town. One of my sons is too young to remember anything about it, thankfully. The older one remembers going back to school for Year 3, and everyone drawing pictures of the experience for a classroom display.

I visited a relative in Sutherland Hospital today. In the front foyer there is a woven tapestry, in three panels, created in memory of those killed and injured in previous bushfires in the Sutherland Shire. I'll post a photo of it after I get it off the camera.

Offline SleepyDragon

• Little Green Lizard of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2009, 04:25:55 AM »

L to R: During fire, aftermath, regrowth.

From an NSW Health press release:

After three years of hard work by the Bicentennial Tapestry Re-weaving Committee at Sutherland Hospital, John Ralf's memorial tapestry is once again hanging in the hospital for all to enjoy. The tapestry, which was created to honour the volunteer bushfire fighters who lost their lives at Menai (1977), Waterfall (1980) and Grays Point (1983), is constructed of three 180cm high panels. The Committee was brought together to replace one of the panels which was stolen. Through the generous support of the local community the Committee was able to raise sufficient funds to have the missing panel rewoven by the Victorian Tapestry Workshop. On Sunday 4 September, the Committee oversaw the rehanging of the tapestries in the Atrium of the new hospital building, during a rededication ceremony.

The work is quite large, and it's hard to get a good camera angle, but oh well.

P7PSP

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 01:37:18 PM »

L to R: During fire, aftermath, regrowth.

From an NSW Health press release:

After three years of hard work by the Bicentennial Tapestry Re-weaving Committee at Sutherland Hospital, John Ralf's memorial tapestry is once again hanging in the hospital for all to enjoy. The tapestry, which was created to honour the volunteer bushfire fighters who lost their lives at Menai (1977), Waterfall (1980) and Grays Point (1983), is constructed of three 180cm high panels. The Committee was brought together to replace one of the panels which was stolen. Through the generous support of the local community the Committee was able to raise sufficient funds to have the missing panel rewoven by the Victorian Tapestry Workshop. On Sunday 4 September, the Committee oversaw the rehanging of the tapestries in the Atrium of the new hospital building, during a rededication ceremony.

The work is quite large, and it's hard to get a good camera angle, but oh well.
Good post SD. :plus: