Author Topic: Your gaming accomplishments  (Read 1382 times)

Offline ApotheosisIV

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • interweb
Re: Your gaming accomplishments
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2008, 12:57:05 PM »
Scoring 255 points in Madden 97 against the computer (maximum that you can score in a game).

Damnit. In Madden 08 I'm still trying for the bronze trophies in the mini camp on rookie difficulty. I can clobber the shit out of people, but I just don't get the kicks. When you're kicking into the goal from down the field, should you be trying for power or accuracy? Is it different when you're kicking into one of the deep pockets in the corners?
I have not played 08 (I did rent 09) and I usually do not do the mini camp stuff.    Accuracy normally helps the most, but it depends on how long of a field goal you are trying.    09 it lets you use the analog sticks to kick.   Does 08 use the manual sticks as well?  The previous Maddens (97 was SNES) it was just two button presses (like a golf swing in older games) and you could aim manually, but it wasn't in real time.

Madden is hard as fuck- I've given up on it.
Good game though.
batcat

Offline ApotheosisIV

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • interweb
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2008, 01:04:50 PM »
Ex-pro-gamer? What did you play?

I hussled Tekken at a local snooker hall until people stopped playing me.
Tekken was quite popular at the time- regular tournament events in Vegas with side-games going on for $1000+ per bout.
But when the skill over luck factor is too high, then the games dry up and you don't get any action.
So I learnt how to play cards.

Nowadays, gaming has become popularized - you arent going to get any money or a decent game against these players noobing around on skill-less games like WoW and MGS.
Fighting game and FPS achievements are impressive.   My friend Tom has trophies from playing Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter 2 and Tekken.   He is damn good at fighting games.

I wouldn't dismiss WoW as it is not skill dependent on the individual but as far as organizing a large group to remain disciplined and act out a strategy to fight a new enemy that is interesting.   When a new boss/raid is introduced in a MMORPG, it is a new challenge for all players to test strategy as far as ways to combat the monster.    My LS started off fighting Tiamat and taking 3 hours the first time, and now we can kill it in less than 45 mins.   It all has to do with teamwork and doing things in an efficient manner as far as executing a strategy goes.   A new raid in WoW is often an experiment and a group that can clear it first is usually the most skilled and organized (and willing to try new things).

MGS is about sneaking around and having patience, but it isn't as skill dependent.

In general I don't really like fighting games- I'm useless at Mortal Kombat and not much good at Street Fighter. Tekken is all about pattern recognition - I think most fighting games are, i just can't seem to apply it to anything but Tekken.
Ive heard the new Street Fighter is shit hot but Im not shelling out for a PS3.
batcat

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2008, 06:30:23 PM »
Won playing Hearts. :1st:

Also got 73 playing minesweeper. :zoinks:
Guardian of the Empire

Offline Gluey

• Raging Red Head of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Park.
    • Tales From The Tard Hut Well at least some videos
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2008, 04:27:50 PM »
Scoring 255 points in Madden 97 against the computer (maximum that you can score in a game).

Damnit. In Madden 08 I'm still trying for the bronze trophies in the mini camp on rookie difficulty. I can clobber the shit out of people, but I just don't get the kicks. When you're kicking into the goal from down the field, should you be trying for power or accuracy? Is it different when you're kicking into one of the deep pockets in the corners?
I have not played 08 (I did rent 09) and I usually do not do the mini camp stuff.    Accuracy normally helps the most, but it depends on how long of a field goal you are trying.    09 it lets you use the analog sticks to kick.   Does 08 use the manual sticks as well?  The previous Maddens (97 was SNES) it was just two button presses (like a golf swing in older games) and you could aim manually, but it wasn't in real time.

Madden is hard as fuck- I've given up on it.
Good game though.

Pawn shops are filled with John Madden games for the Sega Genesis and nothing else I fucking hate it. Stupid boring sports games. I was lucky when I found Sonic 1 and Mortal Combat back in 2001 when I was more of a classic gamer. I had my old Genesis and a new Sega Dreamcast.
A guess why there are so many madden games is because people only want the newest madden while they chuck out and pawn the older versions.
Park.