Educational

Author Topic: Your gaming accomplishments  (Read 1381 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Your gaming accomplishments
« on: November 10, 2008, 09:49:26 AM »
Last night, I finished my first ever game of Civ IV: Warlords.  Before, I'd always gotten bored and quit somewhere in the medieval or renaissance era, but this time I kept on going, finally scoring a conquest victory in 2027 on the prince setting, after conquering three AI civs and depopulating a fourth with nukes to push me up to 75% of world population, with a game time of about 38 hours.  It's the first time I've really gotten to grips with the combat system and figured out how to make good use of the different units and bonuses.  I've played Civ II, Call to Power II and Alpha Centauri, but of those, Alpha Centauri is the only other one I've played through to the end.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Pissgai

• King of The Damned
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Button Pusher
Re: Your gaming accomplishments
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 10:16:25 AM »
Big Boss rank on Metal Gear Solid 2 and completed Shining Force 2 and Contra 3 on the hardest difficulties.
I'm here to fuck you up. :P

Member of the Triumvirate.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 10:38:52 AM »
How did you get bored in Civ? For me, the gameplay mechanics always changed enough with advancing technology to keep me interested. Like in Civ 2, the point where you hit railroads changes a lot, and the point where you get battleships, and the point where you start racing for spaceship parts.

I used to play on Prince or King and I didn't keep track of the number of times I played through to the end, but then I was pretty addicted. I'd usually win by space race. I could win by conquering but that was less interesting.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 11:37:17 AM »
74 on minesweeper.   :roses:

worship me.

duncvis

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 11:38:09 AM »
I love Civ. Not that I have time to play it much.

Offline ApotheosisIV

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • interweb
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 11:45:42 AM »
Qualified for Tekken World Championships 1996. (Won the qualifier in Wales)
batcat

Offline ApotheosisIV

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • interweb
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 12:00:55 PM »
Broke the controller at the local pubs GH contest.
batcat

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 01:19:55 PM »
How did you get bored in Civ? For me, the gameplay mechanics always changed enough with advancing technology to keep me interested. Like in Civ 2, the point where you hit railroads changes a lot, and the point where you get battleships, and the point where you start racing for spaceship parts.

I used to play on Prince or King and I didn't keep track of the number of times I played through to the end, but then I was pretty addicted. I'd usually win by space race. I could win by conquering but that was less interesting.

I'd usually get fed up with it after the early expansion and exploration phase, when the turns start getting longer and longer because there are more units to shuffle around and build queues to keep track of, and less of interest is happening from one turn to another.  I found Alpha Centauri more engaging since there were a lot of options for creative strategies through terraforming, native lifeforms, resource crawlers and things like that, but that also made it very easy to play against the AI, and I can easily beat it on the highest difficulty setting.  With my last game of Civ IV, I did find it interesting when I was building railroads to deliver troops quickly to the front line, capturing a city on a hill by landing troops from the sea and using it as a defensible position that the AI would exhaust most of it's troops trying to retake, and then racing to be the first to build nukes and using them to weaken an AI civ that was nearing completion of the spaceship, before mopping up with my conventional forces.  It was still a grind at times though, giving orders to a hundred units every turn.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Pissgai

• King of The Damned
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Button Pusher
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 02:18:57 PM »
I was a god on Diamond Mine until Mel fucked me over good. :P
I'm here to fuck you up. :P

Member of the Triumvirate.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 05:12:43 PM »
i love the way all you serious game-playing people are too cool to even acknowledgement my piss-ripping post above. 

:LMAO:

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 05:40:31 PM »
Winning 200+ straight fights in the arcade on Mortal Kombat 2.

Killing 20 people without being killed once in a ranked multiplayer match in Rainbow Six Vegas.

FFXI:  Being a part of the group that was the first to kill the Jailers of Faith, Temperance, Hope and Bahamut across virtually all servers in FFXI.   We also were among the first to fight Absolute Virtue regardless of server and the first group to kill Dynamis Lord on our server.

Scoring 255 points in Madden 97 against the computer (maximum that you can score in a game).
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 05:57:17 PM »
i love the way all you serious game-playing people are too cool to even acknowledgement my piss-ripping post above. 

:LMAO:

I didn't even know it was piss-ripping; I don't play Minesweeper so I don't know if that's an abysmally low score or a disgustingly high one.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 05:59:52 PM »
Scoring 255 points in Madden 97 against the computer (maximum that you can score in a game).

Damnit. In Madden 08 I'm still trying for the bronze trophies in the mini camp on rookie difficulty. I can clobber the shit out of people, but I just don't get the kicks. When you're kicking into the goal from down the field, should you be trying for power or accuracy? Is it different when you're kicking into one of the deep pockets in the corners?

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 06:05:00 PM »

Damnit. In Madden 08 I'm still trying for the bronze trophies in the mini camp on rookie difficulty. I can clobber the shit out of people, but I just don't get the kicks. When you're kicking into the goal from down the field, should you be trying for power or accuracy? Is it different when you're kicking into one of the deep pockets in the corners?

If it's anything like real life, I'd hover around the edges and hope the ball doesn't come my way.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 06:05:55 PM »
If it's anything like real life, I'd hover around the edges and hope the ball doesn't come my way.

:lol:

I don't think that would go over too well with the rest of the team