Educational

Author Topic: Nice people fall into sh!t holes and jerks end up real successful  (Read 900 times)

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
I was told this on another forum and I didn't believe it. He said it was true 90 to 95% of the time.

Even my own boyfriend said it is true for the most part. I still find it bull. Excuse me but how is bullying people going to make you successful?
How is cutting people off on the road going to make you successful? Give me a break. ::)

You can still be nice and make it through. My parents did it, my relatives, my dad's friends. All nice people but they made it.

Being too nice is what gives you hell. You let sales people push you around, people giving you the guilt trip, you can't be informal because you are afraid of upsetting the person, you can't fire someone or else you will feel bad about it, you can't evict people or else it will make you feel bad, etc.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Nice people fall into sh!t holes and jerks end up real successful
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 09:14:30 PM »
I think that you are right.  People can be nice to one another without becoming complete pushovers and those people can do well, better than the complete jerks, IMO.

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 04:20:51 AM »
Narcissist individualism is rampant. Join the club! >:D
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 04:45:10 AM »
Narcissist individualism is rampant. Join the club! >:D

Yes I will join your club. Can I bring my brush? I don't have to like interact with you or anything do I? Not that kind of club?
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 07:52:34 AM »
My mother told me last night that was just a saying but I had made this thread before she even told me on the phone.

When I said on the other forum "I think I took you literal" he told me to stop doing that. Stupid thing to say. I told him telling someone to stop being literal is like telling someone to stop having seizures. I also asked if he thinks I actually do this on purpose. Funny thing is he was also diagnosed with AS when he was 10 or 11 he said but he has been literal too on the forum and I brought up "remember the 'beat me to it' part?"

I just find it funny when an aspie tells another aspie to stop being literal. Just hilarious. This guy's an idiot anyway. He says stupid things and he likes being a jerk but people still like him.

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 08:23:17 AM »
Assholes can indeed get their way, because they aren't bound by the same kind of morals many of us may have. I see it here at work, where I have personally been the victim several times, and also with my kids in school. My son is just too nice and won't "take what is his" when the opportunity is there. If someone is handing out prizes or candy, all the other kids push their way to the front and scratch and claw, why he stands back and gets upset that he isn't getting anything. Same thing happens in line for playground equipment. I am trying to teach him to be assertive, without being a jerk, like some of the kids are. If grows up to be like this, he will get pushed around as an adult too.

I was also the victim of a corrupt cop, who pulled me over thinking I was a teenager in high school, so he was going to teach me to respect authority. This is common practice in his police department and well documented. Supposedly they think it helps teach the young drivers to respect the police. Let’s just say it has the opposite affect. So anyway, knowing I hadn’t done anything illegal, I politely asked why I was being pulled over and he just screamed at me to hand over my license or I was going to jail. This was in front of my parent’s house, so by now my parents and some of the neighbors were outside as witnesses. I again politely said, “But sir, I don’t understand what I did wrong!” He yells at me again, reaches for his gun, then throws me up against my car, handcuffs me, and throws me into his squad car. This all took less than 60 seconds. When my parents came down to from the porch to the top of the driveway, he grabs his gun and puts his hand up and tells them to stay right there. He calls for back-up, saying he had a “hot one here”, and then talks to my parents. During said conversation, he was very surprised when my Mom pointed out I was 24 and in graduate school at UVa. He said he thought I was 16 or 17. So he comes back to the car and writes me a ticket saying he paced me doing 43 in a 25 and gave me a reckless driving citation, which was complete bullshit. Part of my OCD/Anal shit is about strict adherence to using turn signals, obeying stop signs and minding 25 and 35 mph zones. He gets me out of the car, and still handcuffed, I refuse to sign the ticket. He threatens to throw me in jail for the night, so I reluctantly signed. He un-handcuffed me and let me go, but it gets worse. In court, he said I was speeding through the neighborhood, swerving around, and a bunch of kids were out playing to boot. He also said my Mom threatened him and came down to his car and pounded her fists on the window screaming to let me go. All of it lies!!!!!!! So I ask the judge to let my parent’s come up and counter his claims and they did. The judge looked like he might be swayed to what was the truth, but ultimately said he didn’t believe the cop, but that I must have done something wrong, so he lowered it to an improper driving citation, which ended up costing me about $1,200 or so from the fine and increase in insurance over five years. I almost hired a lawyer, but all three I talked to refused to help me when they heard which cop wrote me the ticket, saying he comes up with such outrageous stuff that they are never able to counter it and get their clients off.

Another legal experience was with a judge, whom I was challenging a parking ticket with. When I first challenged it, the cop who wrote the ticket wasn’t there, so he made me come back a month later. I lived 2-1/2 hours away. Out of principle, I came back, and my then girlfriend came with me. I explained what the circumstances were, and how the part of the road I was parked at did not have the temporary one day construction no parking signs displayed, like there were further down the road. I provided pictures, and my girlfriend testified as well to back me up. The judge simply turned to the cop and said, “Was his car parked there, and were there signs?” Of course, the cop says yes. So he turns back to me and my girlfriend and goes off on me for wasting his time, the cop’s time, and then made several sexist remarks about my girlfriend and declares me guilty. You know what his name was? Judge Lawless!!! Fitting…I think!
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Grumpy Composer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 08:30:04 AM »
Excuse me but how is bullying people going to make you successful?
How is cutting people off on the road going to make you successful? Give me a break. ::)

It isn't what they do, but rather the Sociopathic mind-set that helps make a lot of nasty people successful. Nice people can make it also, but it is less common. The Sociopath is highly manipulative and self-seeking as well as not being too bothered about others. Just as much as there is quite possible a large percentage of HFA/AS people in Silicone Valley, there is probably a very high percentage of Sociopathic business men making great financial success.

OPEC has just this day decided to do what they can in their power to keep oil prices high. Ah the smell of Sociopathy in the morning. >:(

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 01:08:05 PM »
<police trouble and neighbor problems from the other thread>

Perhaps you should try what I do; I have an Ipaq and a bluetooth hands-free headset, and when I go out, I put on the headset and set the Ipaq to continuously record everything onto a 2GB flash card.  Nobody can tell that I'm recording, and if anything crops up, I'll have an audio recording of the event to back up my side of the story.  As the 'slightly weird loner guy' of the area, I figure it's a good insurance policy.  It's not perfect; sometimes the recording stops without warning, but it's the best I've been able to come up with, and the headset gives very clear audio, since the mic isn't brushing against my clothing.  I selected one without noise canceling functions, so it picks up everything in my immediate environment.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 01:51:21 PM »
Trigger11 from your experiences it sound like you live in my town.  The whole legal system is fucked up beyond repair.  You can't fight anything without some high priced lawyer
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 02:08:04 PM »

Perhaps you should try what I do; I have an Ipaq and a bluetooth hands-free headset, and when I go out, I put on the headset and set the Ipaq to continuously record everything onto a 2GB flash card.  Nobody can tell that I'm recording, and if anything crops up, I'll have an audio recording of the event to back up my side of the story.  As the 'slightly weird loner guy' of the area, I figure it's a good insurance policy.  It's not perfect; sometimes the recording stops without warning, but it's the best I've been able to come up with, and the headset gives very clear audio, since the mic isn't brushing against my clothing.  I selected one without noise canceling functions, so it picks up everything in my immediate environment.

That's me, but maybe a little more than 'slightly'! Interesting idea!
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 05:29:30 PM »
I've wondered if data recorders and video cameras in the car would be a good investment, or would judges not accept the data and footage as evidence?  I had a cop give me shit one time (one of those young asshole cops who thinks he's got something to prove).  That lost me all respect for law enforcement until a few weeks later when a cop helped me out after my truck broke down (using his directional lights so other drivers don't plow into my stalled vehicle).  It seems cops often mature and grow out of the urge to be a prick, and then just do their jobs.

Ditto on the way nice people get screwed and assholes get ahead.  It doesn't even have to involve money.  Anywhere that egos are at stake, or someone just wants to be like an alpha wolf and in control, it can happen.  I've been guilty of being too nice more times than I'd like to admit.  I've resolved to let assholes have it when they need it (not cops with guns and real authority, mind you, but just ordinary people who think their shit doesn't stink).  I just hope when the time comes, I'll have the courage to deal with somebody being an asshole.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 06:36:37 PM »
I saw some videos a guy had made of going through a homeland security checkpoint that had been set up on a road near where he lived.  The agents at the checkpoint didn't want to fuck him over on camera, though they still harassed him plenty, and started taking photos of him and his car on later trips through the checkpoint.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 07:25:08 AM »
I saw some videos a guy had made of going through a homeland security checkpoint that had been set up on a road near where he lived.  The agents at the checkpoint didn't want to fuck him over on camera, though they still harassed him plenty, and started taking photos of him and his car on later trips through the checkpoint.
why haven't you shared the l!nk to these v!deos
Misunderstood.

Offline Pissgai

• King of The Damned
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Button Pusher
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 07:26:44 AM »
I think that you are right.  People can be nice to one another without becoming complete pushovers and those people can do well, better than the complete jerks, IMO.

Nothing wrong with flaunting your superior traits if it gets your way and makes your life better. Who cares about upsetting people in the process? They can't take losing, that's all.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 07:29:51 AM by pissgai »
I'm here to fuck you up. :P

Member of the Triumvirate.

Offline klox

• Constant Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 07:50:29 PM »

That's a good one. +1