Author Topic: Over 40's thread....  (Read 19841 times)

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Over 40's thread....
« Reply #480 on: November 19, 2019, 08:54:24 PM »
At least I don't need to worry about my son ever leaving home. He's a smart kid but, at nearly 15 years of age, it is obvious that he is a very long way off being able to look after himself. Even just getting him to eat food that I have made for him is a challenge.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #481 on: November 20, 2019, 07:09:43 AM »
At least I don't need to worry about my son ever leaving home. He's a smart kid but, at nearly 15 years of age, it is obvious that he is a very long way off being able to look after himself. Even just getting him to eat food that I have made for him is a challenge.
That may change. My son was like that a 15 and by 18 he applied for the disability income and then suddenly at 20 he had this emotional growth spurt and all of the skills I had been scaffolding for years suddenly seemed to click. He applied for a work training program geared towards adults who face extra barriers towards being gainfully employed and they teach in a very hands on way and not just sitting at a desk for X hours a day. He really took to it. They set him up for a job interview at our local VIP movie theatre (movies is an obsession of his) and not only did he nail it and get the job but right before he left for his interview he decided to tell the girl he liked, that he had feelings for her. She's ASD too. The kid landed a job and a girlfriend all on the same day  :lol1:

But leading up to that, I honestly never would have dreamt it. We were talking last night how it seems that so many things came together so quickly in such a short amount of time. He's been at his job and with his girlfriend since July.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #482 on: November 20, 2019, 04:50:37 PM »
Youngest is now late twenties and still much like having a teen at home. That's okay for now but tend to worry about his future when we're no longer around.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #483 on: November 20, 2019, 05:52:45 PM »
Thanks Phoenix, wow, that's awesome and gives me some hope. And Jack. Almost plussed Jack for the observation. As a teen my son is very much like having a lanky toddler at home. It seems even worse with an 11 year old who is going on 25 while we have a 14/15 year old who is going on 6.

He would love to work in a military museum.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #484 on: November 21, 2019, 04:24:33 PM »
My oldest is 25 and not close to leaving home. He's a spazz and I think it'll be a few more years before he'll leave. It's OK. Only now is he starting to find out what he wants to do in life.

I keep telling him not to compare himself with his sister. They are two different persons, both with their strengths and their weaknesses, and all I want is for both of them to be happy.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #485 on: November 22, 2019, 03:22:21 PM »
Which is excellent advice. I think my son will still be home a few more years yet which I'm fine with. I'd rather him be safe and successful at whatever he's working towards vs him moving out too quickly, it all falling apart and then he moves back feeling like he failed.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #486 on: November 22, 2019, 05:06:05 PM »
Exactly, and that's pretty much my message to my son. You put it very well.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #487 on: November 25, 2019, 02:30:53 AM »
In other news, I hurt my back again. It sucks to get older.

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #488 on: November 25, 2019, 05:43:13 AM »
And I've hurt my shoulder. We're a pair.

Off to the chiropractor for me tomorrow.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #489 on: November 25, 2019, 11:58:18 AM »
Right knee and ankle ache annoyingly.  Left hip bothers me in my sleep, since I am a side sleeper. 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #490 on: November 25, 2019, 04:32:25 PM »
Back is slowly getting better but it hurts in new places, too.

Speaking of getting older, what about morning stiffness of joints? Is that me and my psoriatic arthritis or is that something that would have happened anyway?

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #491 on: November 25, 2019, 05:42:47 PM »
It's probably your arthritis. I don't have much morning stiffness. Plenty of morning lethargy though. And thinning hair, another year or two and I will probably just shave it all off.

It's my teeth that annoy me the most. I've always had bad teeth. My mother had all hers out at 14, and both of her brothers had dentures from a young age. And I seem to have inherited those same soft teeth. The plan is in March I'm going to see if I can get about 3 implants and keep my remaining teeth, or if i'm gonna have to give in to the inevitable.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #492 on: November 25, 2019, 08:14:17 PM »
Back is slowly getting better but it hurts in new places, too.

Speaking of getting older, what about morning stiffness of joints? Is that me and my psoriatic arthritis or is that something that would have happened anyway?
For me, it's my arthritis
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #493 on: November 25, 2019, 10:24:29 PM »
I was still married at the time and the monkeys were 2 and 8. The oldest had just been dx'd as an aspie and I was 32. Now the monkeys are 14 and almost 21 and the oldest is working at a job he loves and has a girlfriend he loves as well. Life is good.

My daughter is about to move from home. Time flies.

Mine is preparing as well.

College is just around the corner for her.
I have been enabling her. I have collected an amazing set of kitchen knives, baking ware, service pieces (all smallish - like for two people. Hard to find size!), decorations (we all like candles), mugs and various appliances for a small apartment.

She has been collecting her own "short use" furniture for a while now.

Going to be a rough time, just ahead.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #494 on: November 27, 2019, 03:41:33 AM »
I do not think my little girl will be too far removed. If i get a say, i will make her stay as long as she can
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap