Educational

Author Topic: I had a bizzare religious experience  (Read 538 times)

Offline Tom/Mutate

• bass martian
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
I had a bizzare religious experience
« on: August 18, 2008, 12:24:06 AM »
I was reading a website that makes fun of the bible, and it had something about craziest bible verses of all time.  One of them was about big cocks and women having sex with donkeys, and it was really lurid.  I got my bible to look it up, because I wanted to make fun of the passage on websites.   But anyway, when I got my bible, it actually fell open right away on that verse I was looking for, and in that translation it wasn't that lurid, they just kept the point being made while making it less explicit.  I felt kind of guilty for making fun of it and also wondered if it was supernatural that it fell open like that.  I hope its just a coincidence because I dont want to be a Christian.  But it did freak me out though.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Re: I had a bizzare religious experience
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 12:27:14 AM »
To counter your superstitiousness: Confirmation Bias 101
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 06:10:02 AM »
I didn't know Christians were into huge dicks, human or otherwise.
I might have to reconsider my lack of faith.
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 06:35:09 AM »
If the poor little bugger wasn't freaking out before, he sure as hell is now.  :lol:
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 11:17:46 AM »
I didn't know Christians were into huge dicks, human or otherwise.
I might have to reconsider my lack of faith.

I find your lack of faith disturbing...  :vader:

Offline enronh

• Intensity's Bicycle Repairman
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 11:51:22 AM »
I was reading a website that makes fun of the bible, and it had something about craziest bible verses of all time.  One of them was about big cocks and women having sex with donkeys, and it was really lurid.  I got my bible to look it up, because I wanted to make fun of the passage on websites.   But anyway, when I got my bible, it actually fell open right away on that verse I was looking for, and in that translation it wasn't that lurid, they just kept the point being made while making it less explicit.  I felt kind of guilty for making fun of it and also wondered if it was supernatural that it fell open like that.  I hope its just a coincidence because I dont want to be a Christian.  But it did freak me out though.

I've open several books on the exact page I wanted, including the dictionary.

I smell a coincidence, is all.

Pls don't be a Christian!  :laugh:

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 11:30:42 PM »
I think it was a metaphor meaning that all Christians want to do is fuck us up the ass.

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 05:31:54 AM »

Creepy co-incodence. Maybe it was God punishing you for wanting to make fun of it.

I'm not a Christian, and it's a shame to see that you were born into a family with religion forced upon you.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 06:38:50 AM »

Merely a coincidence, but not entirely. You did it.

The book is finite, which narrows it down quite a bit, increasing the possibility that you will find your passages quicklly. Having a vague idea as to where to look in this finite book eliminates most of the rest of book with one more stroke. So you did it on purpose. It's not like the book flew off the shelf, hit you in the head with those pages flapping open and directly encoded your mind with the contents.

As Pyraxis points out, though, you can always just say that God made you smart for a reason.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 06:49:34 AM »

I think we have all had some of these types of things happen to us, though.

It is in the way we choose to assess an event that makes it important to us or not.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 08:26:53 AM »
God is just another reason for people to avoid reality.

TheoK

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 09:17:23 AM »

I was looking for a poem for my signature a couple of weeks ago, and the book opened at exactly the page I was looking for, though it wasn't the Bible.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 10:03:36 AM »
This has happened to me several times in different books.   It has happened with the Bible as well.   The latest was with a guitar book, I was looking for the page wth the modal system chart and it opened right to it.
:P   Internets are super serious.