Author Topic: make someone laugh  (Read 123135 times)

midlifeaspie

Re: make someone laugh
« Reply #6420 on: September 30, 2011, 03:26:43 PM »

lol, it sums up how bullshit over-interpreting literature can be.

As the guy in the room with a degree in literature I have to say that you are arguing one half of an argument as old as literature itself.  One half believes that what the author intended to convey is the most important aspect, while the other half believes that literature is a living object and what the current society and individual takes from it is what is important, and what the author meant is pointless and often impossible to determine.

I firmly belong to the latter camp and spent several semesters writing arguments to that end.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #6421 on: September 30, 2011, 03:29:04 PM »

What's funny is that all his pictures are cropped to hide the fact that these places aren't actually as simply named as he wishes they were in his song.  :laugh:

Binty

« Reply #6422 on: September 30, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »

As the guy in the room with a degree in literature I have to say that you are arguing one half of an argument as old as literature itself.  One half believes that what the author intended to convey is the most important aspect, while the other half believes that literature is a living object and what the current society and individual takes from it is what is important, and what the author meant is pointless and often impossible to determine.

I firmly belong to the latter camp and spent several semesters writing arguments to that end.

I think literature, as well as art, is organic - it lives anew with each person who discovers it.  However, in terms of schooling and such, it's being forced into little boxes by asshole secondary school teachers who blindly follow the syllabus and don't know any better.  It's fine if the student interprets literature as he/she wishes but I despise having a pre-formulated response to something, stuffed down my throat.

/rant

midlifeaspie

« Reply #6423 on: September 30, 2011, 03:51:57 PM »

I think literature, as well as art, is organic - it lives anew with each person who discovers it.  However, in terms of schooling and such, it's being forced into little boxes by asshole secondary school teachers who blindly follow the syllabus and don't know any better.  It's fine if the student interprets literature as he/she wishes but I despise having a pre-formulated response to something, stuffed down my throat.

/rant

Agreed.  Most high school teachers fuck it up.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #6424 on: October 01, 2011, 12:43:54 AM »

/rant

I guess that's what my real objection is. Not so much on how it's over interpreted, but rather this feeling of 'regulation' on what constitute a proper interpretation. I mean if you want a proper interpretation, ask the author (because they wrote it), otherwise it's open to imagination by the reader exclusively and relative to interpretation. I see what you guys are getting at, a piece of literature can stand on it's own as it's own entity.

Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Binty

« Reply #6425 on: October 02, 2011, 06:17:03 AM »

Binty

« Reply #6426 on: October 02, 2011, 06:35:13 AM »

eris

« Reply #6427 on: October 02, 2011, 09:08:34 PM »
I was standing next to the compter desk where my cat was sitting. I bent over to pick something up, and she smacked me in the ass ! :D

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #6428 on: October 02, 2011, 10:06:43 PM »
I was standing next to the compter desk where my cat was sitting. I bent over to pick something up, and she smacked me in the ass ! :D

I hope that was a typo and you meant "on the ass"  :-\
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline PuppetSockPenguin

• Superlurker of the penguin elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • experience is memory is experience is
« Reply #6429 on: October 03, 2011, 06:17:46 AM »

« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 06:22:18 AM by PuppetSockPenguin »

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #6430 on: October 03, 2011, 08:03:24 AM »

And you let the cat get away with it, too. Damn, that cat must be good.

Binty

« Reply #6431 on: October 04, 2011, 10:55:18 AM »
Made me smile:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #6432 on: October 04, 2011, 11:16:18 AM »
Made me smile:

As a highly involved father, I am constantly pissed off at how everything about kids is marketed to "Moms".

Binty

midlifeaspie

« Reply #6434 on: October 06, 2011, 12:38:17 PM »
http://thoughtcatalog.com/2011/20-ways-to-scare-your-crush-away/

Wait.

11) Quickly attempt to form a psychologist/ patient dynamic with your crush by almost demanding she reveal intimate details about her past. Proceed to interpret each of these details and dole out unsolicited advice and general life lessons. Transition from this conversation to a drawn-out diatribe about your own experience with personal growth (parts of which you’ve already spoken of, at medium-length), life obstacles, and love lost in which, at the end, you paint yourself as the sage-like victor who has most — if not all — of ‘it’ figured out.

That's how I landed my wife  :zoinks: