Author Topic: make someone laugh  (Read 123152 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: make someone laugh
« Reply #3150 on: October 10, 2008, 08:16:45 AM »
If she had one... :P
Applying your reality to mine? I object.
:police:

But my reality is better :P

... but hardly relevant.

Had I thought it mattered whether she had a brother or not, I might have worded it differently or researched to issue.

It was meant to induce smiles.

But then it wouldn't be as funny...

probably not
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #3151 on: October 10, 2008, 08:17:55 AM »
I saw that earlier today... I even pondered showing you! :lol:

I've so gone off ASUS motherboards lately. Back to Gigabyte it seems.

I've had an Abit NF7-S since 01/2004 and apart from the northbridge fan dying have had no other issues. I'd buy Abit again.

Abit has also been very popular with the enthusiasts. Unfortunately the rumour is that they are going to stop making motherboards at the end of this year.

http://channel.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=15225

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3152 on: October 10, 2008, 08:18:34 AM »
What about a graphics card, guys?

I plan to use Vista for an operating system in my upcoming wireless media PC.

I don't do much gaming, but I need "some" power for my exceedingly large stills
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 08:21:02 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3153 on: October 10, 2008, 08:20:03 AM »
I saw that earlier today... I even pondered showing you! :lol:

I've so gone off ASUS motherboards lately. Back to Gigabyte it seems.

I've had an Abit NF7-S since 01/2004 and apart from the northbridge fan dying have had no other issues. I'd buy Abit again.

My two most reliable were both Soyo, but I also have an old Asus that has always worked fine.

Time to build a new one though.

Abit?

... maybe.

Gigabyte has my attention, though.

There is only one rule with ASUS, and that could also only apply to recently, but always buy a top end board from ASUS, their low end boards are complete and utter shite.

Gigabyte low end boards appear to be okay though (not an actual guarantee).

GalileoAce

« Reply #3154 on: October 10, 2008, 08:20:41 AM »

My pretties...

(not up to date, but close enough)

GalileoAce

« Reply #3155 on: October 10, 2008, 08:23:07 AM »

I don't do much gaming, but I need "some" power for my exceedingly large stills

As you can see above I use a GeForce 8800 GTX which suits my purposes wonderfully. Fully DX10 compatible (not that really matters), and now days you can get the relatively cheap.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3156 on: October 10, 2008, 08:23:35 AM »
I generally buy the tops or one step down from the top, if it only means less options.

GalileoAce

« Reply #3157 on: October 10, 2008, 08:24:06 AM »
Oh yeah, on the above scale, 5.9 is the highest it goes...even if the device rates higher.

GalileoAce

« Reply #3158 on: October 10, 2008, 08:24:34 AM »
I generally buy the tops or one step down from the top, if it only means less options.

That latest NVIDIA card is the GTX 260, thought I don't know much about it.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3159 on: October 10, 2008, 08:25:33 AM »

Well for my next Media PC build, I'm thinking of going with an ATi card, on of the new HD 4xxx range, probably a 4650 or 4670.

But its all a factor of what power supply you are using (wattage) and what motherboard/chipset you intend to use. If you motherboard has onboard VGA and supports Hybrid SLi/Crossfire, then you need to get a matching card for that. Also another factor to consider is what companies graphics drivers are currently suited to you needs and O/S.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3160 on: October 10, 2008, 08:32:59 AM »

I have an 8800 GTX made by PNY that I had "planned to use." I don't have to have the most current, but reliability is important. I hate to fuck with the hardware. I just want it to work!

Now the impossible question.

I need still a really good DVD/CD burner. My Plextor recently died and I'm using a Samsung. It sucks!

I intend to spend about a fourth of my budget on another "good one,"  which we unfortunately do not sell at work.

I have a stand alone CD burner from Denon that is the best I've ever had, but I also need one in the box, capable of DVD duty as well.

Any suggestions?

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3161 on: October 10, 2008, 08:37:51 AM »

Well for my next Media PC build, I'm thinking of going with an ATi card, on of the new HD 4xxx range, probably a 4650 or 4670.

But its all a factor of what power supply you are using (wattage) and what motherboard/chipset you intend to use. If you motherboard has onboard VGA and supports Hybrid SLi/Crossfire, then you need to get a matching card for that. Also another factor to consider is what companies graphics drivers are currently suited to you needs and O/S.

I've had three different ATI cards, because I liked the features, but I have always had trouble with drivers.

I have not chosen a board yet. Onboard crossfire? Is that common, now?

... have more reading to do, I guess.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3162 on: October 10, 2008, 08:52:15 AM »

I have an 8800 GTX made by PNY that I had "planned to use." I don't have to have the most current, but reliability is important. I hate to fuck with the hardware. I just want it to work!

Now the impossible question.

I need still a really good DVD/CD burner. My Plextor recently died and I'm using a Samsung. It sucks!

I intend to spend about a fourth of my budget on another "good one,"  which we unfortunately do not sell at work.

I have a stand alone CD burner from Denon that is the best I've ever had, but I also need one in the box, capable of DVD duty as well.

Any suggestions?

I like Pioneer DVD Writers. If you want region free (using MediaCodeSpeedEdit, then use AnyDVD so Vista doesn't pitch a fit cos it doesn't like region free drives), I'd go with a DVR-115D (PATA/IDE) or a DVR-215 (SATA), they are as cheap as hell now anyway (price wise). And only go with SATA if you are using a motherboard with an Intel Chipset as all the others seem to have one problem or another from what I've heard.

As with the 8800GTX, that should do fine as long as it supports HDCP and has the right output for the display you are going to be using. Always test out what you already have before you go off and buy something new, you might not have to.

GalileoAce

« Reply #3163 on: October 10, 2008, 09:15:20 AM »

Offline enronh

• Intensity's Bicycle Repairman
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #3164 on: October 10, 2008, 02:57:32 PM »