Educational

Author Topic: Anything you wish to know about Nocturnalist and can be fussed to ask?  (Read 3619 times)

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Grumpy Composer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
I thought I'd start this since I've posted over 100 times now and it seems the done thing here. You can ask anything if you are remotely interested in doing so, but I might not answer anything though :paperbag:

Be prepared for a short and very boring thread which I appreciate may not extend beyond this first dull post :yawn:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Anything you wish to know about Nocturnalist and can be fussed to ask?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 04:15:50 PM »
Are you the sensitive type? (Obligatory McJagger question)

Do you feel you always need to get the last word? And if so, do you know that there are better threads for that than the tit-for-tat you and Sir Les are engaged in elsewhere?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 05:19:35 PM »
Hi Nocturnalist.

Do you like nighttime better than daytime?

Would you like to join the Aspie Elite?

For your participation, you get a cool custom title and a Secret Decoder Rng.

Also, just so you know, you don't necessarily have to be technically an Aspie to be part of the Aspie Elite.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 05:28:48 PM »
Going to post any nudes :eyebrows:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline bob

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 06:09:29 PM »
Where do you access your smilies, and would I be likely to recognise some tunes you have written?   :)

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 06:43:11 PM »
Are you the sensitive type?

I have been told that I am. I think they are probably correct.

Do you feel you always need to get the last word? And if so, do you know that there are better threads for that than the tit-for-tat you and Sir Les are engaged in elsewhere?

I do have a tendency towards Lastwordism - I have problems letting go however much I may be sickening myself. I was not aware that there are better threads here than the one I'm playing footsie with Sir_Les in - have I been mentioned elsewhere here before I joined? If not, I'll stick with the thread where they chose to name me... or re-name me before I joined I2 :eyebrows:

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 06:54:21 PM »
Do you like nighttime better than daytime?

Yes. Daytime is difficult on my senses... lots of noise and light. Night time is peaceful and still.

Would you like to join the Aspie Elite?

I have not considered the possibility of the opportunity cropping up.

For your participation, you get a cool custom title and a Secret Decoder Rng.

Also, just so you know, you don't necessarily have to be technically an Aspie to be part of the Aspie Elite.

So HFAs are welcome to join also. Sounds neat ;D

Well, if membership of the Aspie Elite is on offer to me, even though I do not know what the 'Secret Decoder Rng' is, it would seem churlish to turn down the kind offer :green: A cool custom title sounds neat :angel:

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 06:57:40 PM »
Going to post any nudes :eyebrows:

I don't know that they make envelopes large enough and the cost of the stamps would be astronomical, so probably not :lol:

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 07:08:00 PM »
Where do you access your smilies...

When posting a message, see the word 'more' under the smilies you can usually see. Click on that and a new range of smilies provided by this forum can bee seen and selected :situp:

...would I be likely to recognise some tunes you have written?

I would say it is quite unlikely. My work is not at all well known. Micro-shorts I have scored have been shown on ITV4, and others entered into festivals. A feature I worked on has found a DVD distributer, but most will not have seen or noticed them, let alone my music :)

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 08:33:12 PM »
You write songs? Cool! Not really a direct question, but tell us more?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 10:32:34 PM »
You write songs? Cool! Not really a direct question, but tell us more?

I don't write songs, I compose musical underscores for micro-budget movies (much less cool - lol), mostly shorts (some for students and some for Directors entering festivals) but I have scored two features ('The Unseen' Dir by Kevin Gates), and one which has been accepted by a small time DVD distributer ('The Jigsaw of Life'). Here's a review of 'The Jigsaw of Life' http://www.microfilmmaker.com/critiques/Issue4/jigsawli.html My musical score is very briefly mentioned on the third page.

'The Unseen' will probably not see the light of day, though its Director's second feature has received wide distribution ('The Zombie Diaries').

Unfortunately, Kevin Gates only co-Directed 'The Zombie Diaries' and they used a composer the other Director had previously worked with rather than asking me. The composer has a very different style, and like actors, you have to cast the most suitable composer for what you want in the movie. That's life.

I've been doing this since 2002, but it is strictly small scale... I don't even get paid. On Micro-Budget movies the budget is so low nobody gets paid, but the hope is that it will lead to better things... usually it doesn't. I did get a Director come back to me offering a paid gig once, but that project folded... as so many movie projects very often do.

I was the first composer on board to score 'Freak Out', but got sacked due to creative differences and basically just not getting on very well with the Director. I scored half the movie before I was sacked. It went on to be distributed by a major firm, Anchor Bay.

Sorry no posters for movies I've actually scored... they have either been not distributed or not widely in the least. So far I've missed or been chucked out of the boat each time.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 10:53:07 PM by Nocturnalist! »

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 10:51:13 PM »
Damn it all, I so wish I knew you when I was working on my 3d short for my final project in college. I was totally out a sound designer, and too autistic to go find one, so I did it all myself, and it rather sucked.

I would probably even have paid you.

You got any MP3 samples?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
You got any MP3 samples?

I do musical underscore rather than sound design, though I have limited facilities that could be used to do some limited sound design if needed.

I do have some MP3 samples... I'll PM you a link :green: Please do not have great expectations though.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 10:58:55 PM »
Sorry, I was using sound design as a general term (spot the noob, I know pretty pictures, not pretty sounds) but the music is what I was really missing. Sound effects were more manageable to add in myself.

I will look for the PM.

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 11:22:18 PM »
Sorry, I was using sound design as a general term (spot the noob, I know pretty pictures, not pretty sounds) but the music is what I was really missing.

Sorry, that's me coming over all pedantic. Some Micro-budget composers do both regularly. The PM with the link is sent. :)