Author Topic: How Many Ways can you Rickroll Somebody?  (Read 3573 times)

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
How Many Ways can you Rickroll Somebody?
« on: June 06, 2008, 06:20:55 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickroll

Lately, I've been fascinated with the whole concept of Rickrolling.  Who would have known that an ordinary 80's pop song would, 20 years later, become such a source of amusement at somebody else's expense.

Anyway...

There's the basic YouTube video that starts off pretending to be something else, and then suddenly switches to the Rick Astley video.

Then there's having somebody videotape while you infiltrate a crowd carrying a blaring boombox as it plays "Never Gonna Give You Up".

It's been used as a form of protest, e.g.:

Scientology:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OHpjcZNM8_k

Fred Phelps (those fucktards who protest at fallen soldiers' funerals):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2PON_qz7fx4
(To be fair, I found out about Rickrolling after seeing that first one linked to an AFF thread.)

(Curebies, you might be next.   >:D  Heeeee-hee-hee-hee-hee!)

Then we have a mass Rickrolling:

And another:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=M-XTw9x1A0U
(I guess they're all rickrolling each other, or all upon the one who isn't into it.)

A news team pulls an April Fools on one of its own:

A telemarketer gets it:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=k4YvMVATFgA
(That was just too damn funny.)

And yet another:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2ol9Urfzhes
(Eight-minute call.  Telemarketers hate it when you use up their time.)

YouTube's full of 'em.  Just go there and search "Rickroll" and then pick a few at random.

Though not likely to try it, I've thought of a few other possibilities.

Those mini-FM transmitters that you plug into your cigarette lighter so you can hear your MP3 player through your car stereo even though it doesn't have an auxiliary input.  For safety, this method would require two people to perform the prank, one to drive the car and another to keep checking empty channels on the radio.  When you hear something on a channel that's usually empty, you can probably figure out if it's coming from a nearby car, and maybe spot the car it's coming from.  Then, using your own mini-FM (better if you can find something a little more powerful than usual) and MP3 player, cue up the infamous song and then watch the other driver to see if there's a reaction.  (Remember, for safety, somebody else is driving while you work the gadgets.)  Then it's time to make use of the cell phone camera if you've got one.

Anyone else here go to sci-fi conventions?  I go to them and like to take lots of pictures of all the elaborate costumes.  There's a sort of etiquette to getting somebody to pose for a pic.  You just kind of point at your camera and usually the costumer is kind enough to give you a few seconds of their time to get the shot.  One thing you could do is set the camera on video mode (unbeknownst to the subject) and start recording.  Maybe using an MP3 player with a loudspeaker attached (could easily be integrated into your own costume), start playing the song.  Keep recording the video as the subject starts to react.  Maybe wear a t-shirt that says "You got Rickroll'd.  Smile, you're on YouTube", hidden inside a coat that you now pull back to reveal the phrase.  I'm considering doing that at DragonCon, but what I should really do is go to a corporate-run Star Trek convention and Rickroll a few of those pole-up-the-ass snotty Trekkies I told y'all about in those other threads.

Okay, you might get your ass kicked and you might get arrested for disturbing the peace, but oh well...
(On second thought, don't listen to me.  I'm a bad influence.)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: How Many Ways can you Rickroll Somebody?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 05:33:03 AM »
I wonder why that particular song was picked. And what Rick Astley himself thinks of all this. :D
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 07:08:16 AM »
I wonder why that particular song was picked. And what Rick Astley himself thinks of all this. :D

It's all explained in the Wikipedia article (link at the top of this thread).  It started out as a variant of an internet prank known as "duckrolling" in which somebody gets tricked into downloading a picture of a duck with wheels.  Mr. Astley actually thought it was funny that it got used in Scientology protests.

Rick Astley's reaction

In a March 2008 interview, Astley said that he found the Rickrolling of Scientology to be "hilarious"; he also said that he will not try to capitalize on the Rickroll phenomenon with a new recording or remix of his own, but that he'd be happy to have other artists remix it. Overall, Astley is fine with the phenomenon, although he finds it a little "bizarre" and only hopes that his daughter receives no embarrassment over it.[9] However, when a spokesperson for Astley's record label was asked for comment they stated "I'm sorry, but he's done talking about Rickrolling." [41]

Offline Gluey

• Raging Red Head of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Park.
    • Tales From The Tard Hut Well at least some videos
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 10:26:02 AM »
I'm gonna how my aspie freind about a video about "Fat Emo's" on my PSP. He will get Ricked Rolled for sure!
Park.

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 11:15:31 AM »
I don't get why it's funny.
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 05:26:34 PM »
I don't get why it's funny.

I think it's mostly in the way it just sort of spawned out of frickin' nowhere, and how you can get a WTF sort of reaction out of whoever you rickroll.  They probably wonder why somebody's standing there with a boombox blasting out an 80's pop tune, and why somebody else is nearby with a video camera, and then realize the joke's on them.

I bet it'd be fun to rickroll a bunch of FAAAS members.

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 07:21:45 PM »
I rickrolled people on a virtual scratch and win bebo with my face and Rick Astley's pic over cleavage - under the thing you scratch.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 06:29:22 PM »
Fred Phelps again...

This time it's not a Rickroll, but it's still funny.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KZPsTM-4qgg

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 04:50:29 PM »
Okay, the joke's over a year old and has no doubt died out, but...

This damn group at a university I attended over a decade ago, called up saying they wanted to update my record.  (How the fuck did they get my current cell phone number, anyway?)  Well, not only was I on vacation with the cell phone roaming, but I was in a noisy coffee house when they called.  I told them my phone was roaming and hung up, to minimize roaming charges.  The next day, I was in my parents' living room and they called again.  I told them my phone was roaming and hung up.  Then, a couple days later I was driving back home from the trip, with it raining heavily for much of the way, and they called again.  At this point I'm not even picking up, and my girlfriend is offering to answer it and tell them to fuck off.

Then, after a few days of them not calling, they called again a little while ago.  And again, I ignored it and didn't pick up.  I intend to be ready for them next time they call.  Guess what's loaded up in another browser tab, ready to hit Replay (after I turn the volume up and hold the phone up to the speaker, that is).   >:D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 07:35:51 PM »
"We're sorry, this video is no longer available."

;D

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 05:10:43 PM »
Well, they didn't call back a second time.  If they start calling again, I'm sure I can easily find the infamous song again on YouTube, even if that particular incarnation has been deleted.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 08:28:51 AM »
Beaker RickRoll!

Also the Mario Paint way:

Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Gluey

• Raging Red Head of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Park.
    • Tales From The Tard Hut Well at least some videos
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 11:48:21 PM »
Me and my other aspie freind plan on Rick Rolling some Jehova's Witnesses.
They don't report to the cops they report their problems to "The Watch Tower"

Perfect target. Right in the kingdom hall.
Park.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 12:12:10 AM »
This was in another forum.

RE: What Google Thinks Of Special Needs Individuals

TheZach Wrote:
Hmmm....

Appears the threads been jacked.

I wote

Well it does appear that way TheZach and it is unfortunate because "Were no strangers to love
You know the rules and so do I
A full commitments what I'm thinking of
You wouldn't get this from any other guy

I just wanna tell you how I'm feeling
Gotta make you understand

* never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you..................."

:laugh:
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 06:29:03 PM »
Me and my other aspie freind plan on Rick Rolling some Jehova's Witnesses.
They don't report to the cops they report their problems to "The Watch Tower"

Perfect target. Right in the kingdom hall.

Be careful.  Let us know how it goes.

My hometown (a seaport with a population of about 250,000) is completely infested with religious nuts.  When I still lived there, I remember how they used to spread out to all the major street corners and scream the gospel at all the people stopped at a red light.  I used to flip them off and find a heavy metal station on the radio to drown out their bullshit.  I'm hoping one day I'll be visiting and see them while driving around.  I'll be sure to keep a Rick Astley CD and a camcorder in the car just in case.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 06:33:15 PM by garmonbozia »