Author Topic: These fucking ants  (Read 4023 times)

Offline The Member Formerly Known As Sophist

• Too Eliter for the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • I am what I am and that's all what I am.
    • Gestalt: An Autism Forum
Re: These fucking ants
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2008, 12:48:28 PM »
I get Brown Recluses in my house, no Black Widows though.

How fast are Black Widows? Brown recluses are fast lil' buggers. It's hard as hell to try and kill them.

Thankfully at least in my house the paint on the walls is oil based and they have a harder time climbing it. So I've only ever seen them on the floors.
Flibbit.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »
I really can't stand insects.   I usually kill them as soon as I see them.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2008, 12:49:59 PM »
Thankfully at least in my house the paint on the walls is oil based and they have a harder time climbing it.

Interesting - I didn't know oil-based paint was harder to climb.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2008, 01:01:04 PM »
Thankfully at least in my house the paint on the walls is oil based and they have a harder time climbing it.

Interesting - I didn't know oil-based paint was harder to climb.

It has a somewhat slick coating to it-- and generally speaking, I don't think brown recluses are particularly good climbers in the first place.

In fact, most bugs that enter my house have difficulty climbing it. I'd say the Scutigera (House Centipedes) are the only ones I usually see able to scale it, heh.
Flibbit.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2008, 07:11:04 PM »

I was watching my youngest cousin when she was about 18 months old and she was playing with a Tonka truck that my nephew had left outside, so I decided to clean it.  I found a black widow spider that looked just like this one in a recess in a tire and I got it out and crushed it on the ground so thoroughly that I could see no trace of it left behind.  It scared me half to death because my little cousin was not verbal at that age.  What it had bitten her and I never saw it?  How quickly would I have taken her to the emergency room  for what I might have assumed at first to be a beesting?  Even if I did take her, would the doctors have known that it was a black widow spider bite?  That was the first and last black widow spider I had ever seen there.  She could have died in my care and I would never have forgiven myself if that had happened.  I'm so glad that I decided to clean the toy truck she was playing with.

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2008, 08:10:08 PM »
What are black widow bites like? Do they turn necrotic like brown recluse bites?
Flibbit.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2008, 11:30:25 PM »
We had ants in the living room for a while. I kept finding them and I couldn't figure out where they were coming from.  We kept killing them whenever we saw them. Then one day I saw they were crawling out from the cord, the kind of cord where you plug in more than one thing. I had to get off the computer and I took the cord and put it in a plastic bag and tied it. I left it like that for a week thinking they would die but they didn't so I finally threw it away and I got some ant traps. We placed them in the living room where the ants are. We still had some despite getting rid of their colony. They all eventually went away. We even had some under our bed so my boyfriend stuck a trap under there and it killed them all eventually. We haven't had any ant problems since.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2008, 11:50:44 PM »
What are black widow bites like? Do they turn necrotic like brown recluse bites?

No, black widow spider venom is a neurotoxin.

I found this:

What are the symptoms of a bite?
A black widow spider bite gives the appearance of a target, with a pale area surrounded by a red ring. Severe muscle pain and cramps may develop in the first two hours. Severe cramps are usually first felt in the back, shoulders, abdomen and thighs. Other symptoms include weakness, sweating, headache, anxiety, itching, nausea, vomiting, difficult breathing and increased blood pressure. Young children, the elderly and those with high blood pressure are at highest risk of developing symptoms from a black widow spider bite.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2008, 02:02:30 AM »
I find fleas much more annoying, as do our cats. Ants are much easier to deal with.
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2008, 04:24:48 PM »
:GA:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2008, 05:04:37 PM »
Fucking ant well here's an ant orgy

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2008, 05:23:36 PM »

No, black widow spider venom is a neurotoxin.

I found this:

What are the symptoms of a bite?
A black widow spider bite gives the appearance of a target, with a pale area surrounded by a red ring. Severe muscle pain and cramps may develop in the first two hours. Severe cramps are usually first felt in the back, shoulders, abdomen and thighs. Other symptoms include weakness, sweating, headache, anxiety, itching, nausea, vomiting, difficult breathing and increased blood pressure. Young children, the elderly and those with high blood pressure are at highest risk of developing symptoms from a black widow spider bite.

There are a few black widows here, but we mostly have little black and white jumping spiders, brown and yellow orbweavers, black and yellow argiopes, black trapdoor spiders and large, very hairy wolf spiders.

I have only seen one brown recluse. It was in my garage. They are easy to spot, because they have eyes set in a triangle pattern, rather than bi-laterally spaced. To me the common name "fiddleback"  is responsible for getting a lot of beneficial spiders killed needlessly. There is a wide variety of mostly harmless "violin spiders" that seem to be quite common, everywhere, but they have eyes set in opposing pairs on their cephalothoraxes.

When I lived in Tennessee, black widows were everywhere!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2008, 08:03:09 PM »
I remember being in middle school and we were playing Pictionary in one of our classes and this girl named Stacy picked up and card and started drawing on the board. She drew a window and colored it black and none of us could figure what it was. Then she said it was "Black window."
Our teacher didn't even ask to see the card. She just laughed. but his all didn't make any sense so I was telling my mother about it and she said "it probably said 'black widow' and she misread it."
That was when I first heard of black widows.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2008, 09:16:05 PM »
There are a few black widows here, but we mostly have little black and white jumping spiders, brown and yellow orbweavers, black and yellow argiopes, black trapdoor spiders and large, very hairy wolf spiders.

I have only seen one brown recluse. It was in my garage. They are easy to spot, because they have eyes set in a triangle pattern, rather than bi-laterally spaced. To me the common name "fiddleback"  is responsible for getting a lot of beneficial spiders killed needlessly. There is a wide variety of mostly harmless "violin spiders" that seem to be quite common, everywhere, but they have eyes set in opposing pairs on their cephalothoraxes.

When I lived in Tennessee, black widows were everywhere!

That was the only one I ever saw in the town where I grew up in Alabama.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2008, 11:51:44 PM »
I find fleas much more annoying, as do our cats. Ants are much easier to deal with.
We have a bit of a flea problem at the moment but we are treating the cats and it is a lot better than it was a couple of weeks ago.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae