Educational

Author Topic: Fucked up news stories...  (Read 992 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Fucked up news stories...
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 03:12:37 PM »
Send him to prison and let the guards take their coffee breaks while he's on his. I'm sure his fellow inmates would find ways to show their appreciation.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 05:51:57 AM »
I see in the second link, his lawyer says he was mentally ill and therefore had diminished responsibility.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7382986.stm

That's OK.  Sure.  Don't send him to prison.

If he is mentally ill...and thinks it's ok to lock people up in dungeons for 24 years and fuck them at will, then hey, he won't mind if we do the same to him...right?

I know that in some cases, being mentally ill and therefore not knowing right from wrong is a valid defense, but I just don't see how it can apply here.

How could he not know that locking his daughter in the dungeon for 24 years, raping her and impregnating her six times was the wrong thing to do? 

How could he not know that locking his daughter / oldest granddaughter Kerstin in the same dungeon until she was near death was the wrong thing to do? 

It just makes me sick.

I think the fact that he hid what he was doing pretty much throws the mentally ill defence out of the window.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 10:56:49 AM »
I think the fact that he hid what he was doing pretty much throws the mentally ill defence out of the window.

I think that you're right, Phlexor.  At least it would here.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 11:05:38 PM »
Unless, you could argue that he felt it was okay and normal but knew it wasnt socially acceptable and was compelled so much that he had to hide in order to survive.

But of course thats a long shot and we know lawyers always pull the insanity defence when it comes to crazy shit like this.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 12:12:16 PM »
And we all know what should be done to lawyers.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 04:12:45 PM »
NEW YORK (Reuters) - A New York man who says he was denied a seat on a five-hour JetBlue flight and was instead told to "hang out" in the plane's bathroom has sued the airline for $2 million, saying he suffered "extreme humiliation."

When Gokhan Mutlu arrived to check in for a JetBlue flight from San Diego to New York in February he was told the flight was full, according to the lawsuit filed in New York State Supreme Court.

But Mutlu was allowed to board after a JetBlue flight attendant agreed to give up her seat and travel in an airline employee "jump seat." It was not clear in the lawsuit whether the flight attendant was working.

However 90 minutes into the flight, the pilot told Mutlu the flight attendant was uncomfortable and he would have to give up his seat and "hang out" in the bathroom for the remainder of the flight, the lawsuit said.

The pilot "became angry at (Mutlu's) reluctance" and said Mutlu "should be grateful for being onboard," the lawsuit said. When Mutlu volunteered to sit in the "jump seat," he was told it was reserved for airline personnel.

At one point, the airplane experienced turbulence and Mutlu sat on the toilet seat without a seat belt, causing him "tremendous fear," the lawsuit said.

JetBlue was not immediately available for comment.
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2008, 05:49:04 PM »

People love to hate lawyers, but if you are ever unjustly accused of a crime or your child is being mistreated at school, then a good lawyer can be very helpful.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2008, 06:14:16 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080513/ap_on_re_as/myanmar

Myanmar police block aid workers, food piles up

YANGON, Myanmar - Police barred foreign aid workers from reaching cyclone survivors in hard-hit areas Tuesday, while emergency food shipments backed up at the main airport for Myanmar's biggest city.

Relief workers reported some storm survivors were being given spoiled or poor-quality food rather than nutrition-rich biscuits sent by international donors, adding to fears that the ruling military junta in the Southeast Asian country could be misappropriating assistance.

U.N. officials warned that the threat was escalating for the 2 million people facing disease and hunger in low-lying areas battered by the storm unless relief efforts increased dramatically.

Ten days after the tempest, reaching the worst-affected areas was getting more and more difficult.

Checkpoints manned by armed police were set up Tuesday on roads leading to the Irrawaddy River delta and all international aid workers and journalists were turned back by officers who took down their names and passport numbers. Drivers were interrogated.

"No foreigners allowed," one policeman said after waving a car back....

(follow link for full article)

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2008, 03:28:14 AM »

People love to hate lawyers, but if you are ever unjustly accused of a crime or your child is being mistreated at school, then a good lawyer can be very helpful.

Yes, but can any of us here afford a good lawyer?

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2008, 11:57:27 AM »

Yes, but can any of us here afford a good lawyer?

My husband and I hired a good special education lawyer for our daughter when we were involved in a dispute with the school district.  Now she attends a special school for autistic children instead of our neighborhood school where her special education teacher was physically abusive.  While I would hope that they would try to do the right thing for all the kids, no matter what, I think that the fact that we hired this lawyer played a part in the district's decision to do what was best for our daughter and send her to this special school. 

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2008, 12:27:41 PM »

This is true. I should have added a smiley.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2008, 08:26:36 PM »
Ouch :o
Photographer speared by javelin at Utah meet

1 hour, 22 minutes ago

A newspaper photographer got a little too close to the action at the state high school track championships — and was speared through the leg by a javelin.

Ryan McGeeney of the Standard-Examiner was spared serious injury in Saturday's mishap, and even managed to snap a photo of his speared leg while others worked to help him.

"If I didn't, it would probably be my editor's first question when I got back," McGeeney said later.

The 33-year-old McGeeney, an ex-Marine who spent six months in Afghanistan, was taking pictures of the discus event and apparently wandered into off-limits area set aside for the javelin throw.

Striking just below the knee, the javelin tip went through the skin and emerged on the other side of his leg.

"It wasn't real painful. ... I was very lucky in that it didn't hit any blood vessels, nerves, ligaments or tendons," McGeeney said.

Much of the javelin was cut off at the scene. The piece in McGeeney's leg was removed at a hospital, and he received 13 stitches.

The javelin was thrown by Anthony Miles, a Provo High School student who said when he saw what had happened, "my heart just stopped."

"One of the first things that came to my mind was, 'Good thing we brought a second javelin,'" Miles' coach, Richard Vance, said Monday. He said Miles was "in a little bit of shock," but he assured the athlete that it was not his fault.

With a subsequent throw, Miles went on to win the state title in javelin for teams in Provo High's size classification, 4-A.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2008, 12:33:47 PM »
VANCOUVER, British Columbia (Reuters) - Another severed human foot has been discovered washed ashore on Canada's Pacific coast, but police are no closer to solving the gruesome mystery.

The foot, still wearing a shoe, was discovered on Thursday on a small uninhabited island south of Vancouver in the Strait of Georgia, and is the fourth discovered in the region in the past 10 months.

The previous cases all involved right feet still in sneakers, and each was found on a different island.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police have not said if the latest discovery was a right or left foot.

DNA testing has failed to link the earlier discoveries to any missing person cases.

??? ???
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2008, 01:56:01 PM »
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2008, 02:04:48 PM »
VANCOUVER, British Columbia (Reuters) - Another severed human foot has been discovered washed ashore on Canada's Pacific coast, but police are no closer to solving the gruesome mystery.

The foot, still wearing a shoe, was discovered on Thursday on a small uninhabited island south of Vancouver in the Strait of Georgia, and is the fourth discovered in the region in the past 10 months.

The previous cases all involved right feet still in sneakers, and each was found on a different island.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police have not said if the latest discovery was a right or left foot.

DNA testing has failed to link the earlier discoveries to any missing person cases.

:LMAO: