Author Topic: Blue laws  (Read 547 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Blue laws
« on: April 25, 2008, 09:23:29 AM »
Are you affected by them?

Sunday Closings and the Canadian Bill of Rights
Hamilton, Ontario
January 14, 1962

What's someone to do for a good time in Hamilton on a cold winter day in 1962? Well, if it's a Sunday, it's not bowling.

Just ask Walter Robertson and Fred Rosetanni. Walt and Fred run a bowling alley in Steeltown. On January 14th, 1962, they opened their doors for business and broke the law. Doing business on a Sunday is a direct violation of section 4 of the Lord's Day Act.

Fred and Walter were charged with violating the Lord's Day Act. In their defense, they would spare no expense in their attempts to strike down the law. They argued the that section 4 of the Lord's Day Act violated the freedom of religion guaranteed them by the Canadian Bill of Rights.

The two lost their case in Ontario courts and ended up before the Supreme Court of Canada.

4 of the 5 judges agreed on the following:

* The Canadian Bill of Rights isn't concerned with "human rights and fundamental freedoms" in any broad sense, only with those "rights and freedoms" that existed in Canada immediately before it became law. In other words, if opening on a Sunday did not restrict religious freedom before the Bill, it can't after its passing.
    * Laws protecting the "sanctity of Sunday" have existed in Canada from the earliest times and have never been considered as an interference with the kind of "freedom of religion" guaranteed by the Canadian Bill of Rights.
    * It is the effect rather than the purpose of The Lord's Day Act that is important. Nothing in it affects freedom of religious thought or practice.
    * non-Christians who observe a day of rest other than Sunday may experience a business inconvenience, but that was not a religious restriction, that was just a non-religious consequence.

In short, Fred and Walter lost their case.

Calgary, Alberta
Sunday
May 30, 1982

If you're a high school student, you probably don't think twice about shopping or working on a Sunday. But if you remember the case of Roberts and Rosetanni, you should know that Sunday shopping is a relatively new development.

In that case, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled that the federal Lord's Day Act - which prohibited businesses from opening on Sundays - was valid. The court said that closing stores on Sundays didn't infringe freedom of religion. The store owner lost the case.

On Sunday May 30th, 1982, Big M Drug Mart picked up the challenge and opened its doors. They would be charged, go to court, and, unlike others in the past, win thanks to the new Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Blasted

Re: Blue laws
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 09:25:53 AM »
In Poland I am.

Everything shuts down on Sunday  >:(

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 09:33:53 AM »
It reminds me of the claims from the Islamist camp, that nobody should be allowed to insult Muhammed.  Imagine if all religious proscriptions were incorporated into law and applied to everyone.  It would be illegal to insult Muhammed, to draw a picture of a human, to eat pork, drink beer, work on a Sunday, Saturday or Friday and so on until it was easier to just have a list of things which were permitted, and then there would be endless turmoil over the inevitable conflicts where one religion demanded an action and another religion prohibited it, as well as the disagreements between religions over what punishment should be used.  Do you tear a witch's flesh from her bones with iron hooks, stone her to death or stone her while tearing her flesh off?
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 09:34:37 AM »
In Ct lots of stuff used to be closed for Sunday but in the last 25 years it's gotten better.  Still if you want to buy alcohol on  Sunday you either have to get it by the drink in a bar or restaurant or leave the state(in collage we wen to Westerly RI only 10 miles away) the same used to go for after 8pm also every day I think they changed it to 9 though.  Still can't hunt on Sunday either.   
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Blasted

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 09:45:26 AM »
My grandma doesn't even do any housework on that day because she cares more about the neighbours would think if they hear a hoover.  Religion isn't really incorporated into law but with Poland being a Roman Catholic country and about 98% Polish people being Catholic, then those who are different are looked down upon.  Many people don't take it into consideration that there are different religions out there.  Like when i was in primary school and everyone had to go to extra RE because their parents made them.  This little Vietnamese boy, who n.b. was teased senseless, didn't go and had to sit outside and be laughed at by the cleaning ladies.  In secondary school, thank fuck, it was optional to go but the shit I got from my grandma for not going  ::)  "You were raised Catholic!!"  The whole religiousness thing in Poland and especially my family, is more about hypocrisy than real faith.

It was especially bad when the Kaczyński brothers were in power.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 09:47:36 AM by Cunt »

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 11:54:46 AM »
There are still some Blue Laws in effect here.

You can't buy alcohol from a liquor store or buy an automobile here on Sunday.

There have been several attempts to repeal these laws, but unfortunately the automobile dealers and liquor store owners are among the most vocal protesters against them.

They say that if some automobile dealers and liquor stores are allowed to be open on Sundays, then they will all have to be open to be competitive.

Offline Dexter Morgan

• Karma Policeman of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 01:37:27 AM »
You can't buy liquor on Sunday here, and can't buy beer or wine until noon.  The only thing I know is closed on Sunday is Chik-Fil-A.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 01:45:22 AM »
Chick-Fil-A and Hobby Lobby are closed on Sunday here too, but that is not because of the blue laws.  It's a corporate decision to give their employees the day off on Sunday.

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 02:14:39 AM »
I used to work at Penhalluriack's Building Supplies, the owner of which spent time in jail for illegally trading on weekends.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Penhalluriack
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 02:22:35 AM »
I used to work at Penhalluriack's Building Supplies, the owner of which spent time in jail for illegally trading on weekends.

Wow.  The man is a hero.

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 11:35:29 PM »

Wow.  The man is a hero.

I think he's a fucking arsehole in person and have no qualms about stealing from his store.
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline Johnny

• Constant Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 05:05:27 AM »
They should bring them back and close everything on sunday to save fuel.