Author Topic: Help me to prove the validity of tarot  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Help me to prove the validity of tarot
« on: April 23, 2008, 09:19:55 AM »
Not being an expert in tarot divination, I would appreciate any input from those who know more about it than I do.  I've been reading about tarot, and based on what I've learned, I've devised an experiment which could potentially validate tarot as a predictive method, but I'd like feedback on the experiment so that adjustments can be made if I've misunderstood something.

Using a Rider-Waite tarot deck, I propose to take a large number of readings of myself using the five card spread.  Each time the cards are dealt, each card and it's position in the spread will be noted.  While taking these readings, I'll focus on the question "What is my current situation?", unless someone suggests a better question.  The deck will be well shuffled by myself between readings.

My theory is that if tarot is valid, there will be a statistically significant difference between the cards dealt for each position in the spread and what would be expected to have occurred by chance.  Since there are 78 cards in the deck, by my calculations each card would be expected by chance to appear 6.41 times per 100 readings and to appear in a particular position in the spread 1.28 times per 100 readings.  If tarot is purely a chance phenomenon, the results should increasingly approach these two figures the more times the cards are dealt.  As an experimental control, my computer will pick cards using a random number generator.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
Re: Help me to prove the validity of tarot
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 10:28:02 AM »
You may unconsciously cheat yourself.  What you see is what you want to see.
famous piligram John Alden is my direct descendent. physically fit!, wanna hit me yet?, warnning, you may have to acutually walk first! Persuasive creates his own luck has ability & drive to succeed   drink "Diet Dr. Maina" :) "62" orgasms at 1 time Fuck you faggot ass! not wishing Metabolic profile ( insulin metabolism etc) is almost perfect with no psychic meds, so go fuck yourself! semiautonomic controll over tear glands ambedexterous

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 10:29:51 AM »
You may unconsciously cheat yourself.  What you see is what you want to see.
.....QED

Blasted

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 10:31:12 AM »
I agree with Randy.  Tarot is a personal thing, at least for those who are reading their own cards.

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 10:34:54 AM »
Peter, you really should try the gold standart in expermentation, the double blinded trial.  You could have some practice with logic to, when you figure out what is what.
famous piligram John Alden is my direct descendent. physically fit!, wanna hit me yet?, warnning, you may have to acutually walk first! Persuasive creates his own luck has ability & drive to succeed   drink "Diet Dr. Maina" :) "62" orgasms at 1 time Fuck you faggot ass! not wishing Metabolic profile ( insulin metabolism etc) is almost perfect with no psychic meds, so go fuck yourself! semiautonomic controll over tear glands ambedexterous

thepeaguy

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 10:46:08 AM »
Peter - 1
Tarot fans - 0

Oh wait, maybe it works if we cut down the tree of Yggdrasil and make into mystical paper.  :headbang2:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 10:48:32 AM by thepeaguy »

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 10:47:53 AM »
Coming to think of it, someone was trying to sell me and my mate Gypsy charms. Clearly Durham is full of superstitious twats.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 10:48:23 AM »
I agree with Randy.  Tarot is a personal thing, at least for those who are reading their own cards.

Are you saying that the cards you get in a spread are entirely random?
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 10:51:34 AM »
No, she is saying that sometimes when we want something bad enough, to go a certain way in this case, we interpet things as such.

You want to believe you have telekinesis, and things that are suggestive, are automatically interpeted as what you want.

Its the way the mind works.

You get positive boost in neurotransmitters from eating foods which you are allergic to, to numb the toxicity, when makes you less aware.

* ALLDAYGLOWRANDY appologi
zes to Peter, just do the best with what you got, like I am, no one is perfect with there weakness and strenghts.   Everyone has their issues.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 10:53:20 AM by ALLDAYGLOWRANDY »

thepeaguy

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 10:52:24 AM »
No, she is saying that sometimes when we want something bad enough, to go a certain way in this case, we interpet things as such.

You want to believe you have telekinesis, and are suggestive, are automatically interpeted as what you want.

Its the way the mind works.

You get positive boost in neurotransmitters from eating foods which you are allergic to, to numb the toxicity, when makes you less aware.

You do realise that Peter has put you on his ignore list, Randy.

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 10:54:16 AM »
Wow, sorta seems like he is responding to my post, doesn't seem like much ignoring to me.  That doesn't sound logical.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 10:55:47 AM »
Wow, sorta seems like he is responding to my post, doesn't seem like much ignoring to me.  That doesn't sound logical.

I'm receiving your posts telepathically.

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 10:56:38 AM »
Yes, it will be our secret :laugh:

I never jump to conclusion like that, everyone is not like you.

thepeaguy

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 10:56:55 AM »

I'm receiving your posts telepathically.

:pwned:

:plus:

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 10:58:28 AM »
I know that seems easier for you, but its best you get it through your head, everyone is not same, the idea of self concept.