Educational

Author Topic: Ask Pyraxis anything  (Read 43174 times)

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Re: Ask Pyraxis anything
« Reply #1215 on: March 04, 2009, 06:51:49 PM »
Catch them in the act and kill them.

My plan thus far has been tossing my meat scraps off the back porch as a bargain. I dunno that morning inconvenience is an offense worthy of death.

Quote from: diamond keller
then leave the mangled carcass next to the trash for a couple of days so that the rest of them see it. ive never tried this with coons but it works well with those garbage digin bums.

Been doing that with the ants though. I have yet to see if it will be effective.

Thinking maybe I should try DD's suggestion of leaving standing water outside. My partner does not believe me that it would work.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

TheoK

« Reply #1216 on: March 04, 2009, 06:53:38 PM »
describe yourself with half a word.

Jo.

That's means something between "yes" and "well" in Swedish.  We have "ja" like in German and then we have "jo", which is exclusively Swedish. :P

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1217 on: March 04, 2009, 07:10:15 PM »
how would you describe yourself with 3 words?

Paprika. Taggart. Cordair.

(To whom?)

me
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1218 on: March 04, 2009, 07:11:12 PM »
describe yourself with half a word.

Jo.

That's means something between "yes" and "well" in Swedish.  We have "ja" like in German and then we have "jo", which is exclusively Swedish. :P

it means already in finnish :P
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

TheoK

« Reply #1219 on: March 04, 2009, 07:12:26 PM »
We have "ju" too in Swedish, which means "though" or something like that. Isn't quite possible to translate into English.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1220 on: March 04, 2009, 07:15:48 PM »
we have juu means means yes :laugh:
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

TheoK

« Reply #1221 on: March 04, 2009, 07:20:20 PM »
Jojo, you Finns are worst.  :P

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1222 on: March 04, 2009, 07:21:09 PM »
i said means means :zombiefuck:
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1223 on: March 04, 2009, 08:20:42 PM »

My plan thus far has been tossing my meat scraps off the back porch as a bargain. I dunno that morning inconvenience is an offense worthy of death.

Raccoons are very resourceful and clever predators. The only way you are going to keep them out of your garbage cans is to use some kind of locking containers.
Raccoons will eat a dead brother, so leaving a dead one behind would be more like baiting them.

Which, suddenly brings to mind a different form of entertainment you could pursue. Kind of like making lemonade out of lemons, so to speak. How about taking that same meat offering, a fishing pole with a stout line, a heavy gauge treble hook and setting the meat into the hook, tossing it out by the cans and waiting until one grabs the bait. Then in your best fisherman style, set the hook well and reel him in. I'll bet a raccoon on a hook would put up quite a fight.

:evillaugh:

Quote from: diamond keller
then leave the mangled carcass next to the trash for a couple of days so that the rest of them see it. ive never tried this with coons but it works well with those garbage digin bums.

Been doing that with the ants though. I have yet to see if it will be effective.

Thinking maybe I should try DD's suggestion of leaving standing water outside. My partner does not believe me that it would work.

When I mentioned my ant problem, I was referring to the type of huge harvester ants we have here in Indiana. They strip trees, cut leaves, carry the refuse underground to make a compost mold which they use to feed a colony of aphids, whose urine they eat - kind of like keeping their own herd of dairy animals.

I don't know what kind of ants you are dealing with there, but learning about their life cycle may help you to control them.

You still may end up having to resort to some pyrethrum (which is derived from some types of chrysanthemum and totally organic, but it doesn't last long), pyrethroid (similar, still fairly safe to humans, birds and mammals, but manufactured to resist photochemical breakdown over a longer exposure time) based or boric acid based compounds (still relatively safe for humans).

Worst case scenario would be the use of manmade toxins, such as Diazinon if you can find it, or Malathion. (those last two are very stinky and dangerous. In fact, manufacture of Diazinon has been banned in the USA and it was removed from many store shelves a few years ago, but some is still sold in farming markets. It was a very effective control for fireants common to the south.)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 08:24:34 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #1224 on: March 04, 2009, 09:33:48 PM »

Interesting...

It's also a short stick used in Japanese martial arts, a common Korean family name, and something I can't find a translation for in Hindi.

None of those consider its other half, though.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #1225 on: March 07, 2009, 09:26:02 PM »
How about taking that same meat offering, a fishing pole with a stout line, a heavy gauge treble hook and setting the meat into the hook, tossing it out by the cans and waiting until one grabs the bait. Then in your best fisherman style, set the hook well and reel him in. I'll bet a raccoon on a hook would put up quite a fight.

Coonfishing!  :laugh:

Or, I could hook the scraps over various high-up and awkward twigs on the dead branches of trees in the back yard, and do a scientific study of just how canny of climbers these guys are....

When I mentioned my ant problem...

We actually confirmed today that it was water they were coming in for. That cutting I mentioned a while ago - after it had been watered, a steady stream of ants were sneaking in from somewhere near the front door, going purposefully up the pot, down inside it, hanging around for a while, and then taking off again. So I put a tin can of water beside the front porch. Hopefully it'll help without my having to figure out the toxins.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1226 on: March 08, 2009, 01:02:00 PM »
How about taking that same meat offering, a fishing pole with a stout line, a heavy gauge treble hook and setting the meat into the hook, tossing it out by the cans and waiting until one grabs the bait. Then in your best fisherman style, set the hook well and reel him in. I'll bet a raccoon on a hook would put up quite a fight.

Coonfishing!  :laugh:

It was just a funny thought I had after using the word "baiting,"  which I truly believe would be the effect of leaving dead ones around.
Doubt if fishing for them would work, because, as I mentioned, they are cunning.

Or, I could hook the scraps over various high-up and awkward twigs on the dead branches of trees in the back yard, and do a scientific study of just how canny of climbers these guys are....

And document every attempt ...

:D
When I mentioned my ant problem...

We actually confirmed today that it was water they were coming in for.

I hope it helps.

You moved the plant cutting, right?
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #1227 on: March 10, 2009, 12:00:18 AM »
Kinda hilarious to be camping and have serious RPers in civil war gear walk by at night.

Oh, I've got to get me some of that.  ;D

Got any tips on keeping the coons out of the trash?

That is actually closer to what I would do.  Locking trash bins would probably work best.
:P   Internets are super serious.

TheoK

« Reply #1228 on: March 10, 2009, 05:38:11 AM »
Why is Canadian "whisky" so shitty?  :scratchhead:

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #1229 on: March 10, 2009, 10:14:55 AM »
Will the asteroid currently on its way toward Earth make contact or just take out a few satellites? Current calculations have it definitely inside the orbits of most satellites.

If it misses this time, will it hit a few years later upon its return?
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems