Author Topic: Ask Pyraxis anything  (Read 43182 times)

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
Re: Ask Pyraxis anything
« Reply #1170 on: October 31, 2008, 09:25:48 PM »
I think you should research the political directions of European countries and figure out which one is most ripe to head towards increased meritocracy. I don't know much about current politics myself so this is all theoretical. But you're at a perfect time to position yourself, before you've built up a network of contacts.
The problem is that there is a country that is nearly there, though I fear it may be undone. Politics is a very uncertain business, some would say that the west is heading towards its dusk.
But I don't expect that you would be able to find a system you could be happy in for decades by jumping now, any more than people can find a happy marriage with the first person they ever date. You might have to jump to get it out of your system, or to figure out what you're capable of, or to learn what's out there. Then once you have a better sense of your strengths, you can position yourself more strategically to make a long-term impact.
My problem is I could find (in fact have practically done) a few hundred cases where I could not have a happy marriage, practically consecutively. Though I did find a girl that would have really suited me the other night, shame she already has a boyfriend. Society is so helpful. :(

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #1171 on: October 31, 2008, 09:29:09 PM »
My problem is I could find (in fact have practically done) a few hundred cases where I could not have a happy marriage, practically consecutively. Though I did find a girl that would have really suited me the other night, shame she already has a boyfriend. Society is so helpful. :(

I don't really understand what you mean. Are you still talking about picking a new country after graduation, or are you talking about wanting to find a girlfriend?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #1172 on: October 31, 2008, 09:32:32 PM »

I don't really understand what you mean. Are you still talking about picking a new country after graduation, or are you talking about wanting to find a girlfriend?
Both, but with the gf case my main weakness is my own pickyness, but society contributes by almost decreeing that you have to make a split second decision as to whether to go for it.

But my real point here is that I could easily fun through all the nations and find good reasons not to go and live there. The number of nations that vaguely work is very small, well less than 100.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #1173 on: October 31, 2008, 09:42:37 PM »
Okay, yeah, that sounds like it has more to do with seeing bad in everything than some inherent problem with politics.

Maybe you should run to whichever nation you know the least about.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #1174 on: November 07, 2008, 07:56:14 AM »
what are your thoughts on ritilin for adults?
Misunderstood.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #1175 on: November 07, 2008, 10:51:13 AM »
Used to be dead against any psych med, but I didn't really get how ADHD worked. It's been so overdiagnosed that I thought the whole thing was a crock of bull that could be fixed by a little self-discipline and effort. But at least in some cases it's not so. Add self-discipline to the mix and instead of fixing the problem, you end up with a person who's disciplined about all the wrong things, cause they can't focus long enough to figure out the right ones.

So I'm in favor of ritalin for adults, in limited circumstances.

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #1176 on: November 07, 2008, 11:00:52 AM »
I took Ritalin for awhile when I was a child.
Guardian of the Empire

Offline voltsjolts

• Rookie (be kind to me)
« Reply #1177 on: November 12, 2008, 09:16:20 PM »
do you believe that the human mind is something truly unique above and beyond a very complicated but usually predictable relationship between stimulus and response? 

i've seen you discuss some aspects of your own psyche here on this forum and i constantly ask myself some of the same questions.  admittedly, when we take charge of shaping or reshaping our own minds it is a unique demonstration of willpower not expected from the vision of humans being mere "sophisticated meat machines".  however, the cynic in me wonders how few those moments are when we step out of the pattern of predictability versus the majority of time we spend on cruise control.
Mar'ishka'harga'tae

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #1178 on: November 12, 2008, 11:21:52 PM »
do you believe that the human mind is something truly unique above and beyond a very complicated but usually predictable relationship between stimulus and response? 

I think it's a complex enough machine that reductionism is a moot question. Even if we can simplify things into stimulus and response, the stimuli of life are so tangled and there's such a continuous stream of new input that we're not about to hit the bottom of the rabbit hole anytime soon. I treat the mind as something unique, to the degree that it's useful to be awakened by curiosity, and I treat it as something controllable to the degree that belief in control is necessary to reshape it.

i've seen you discuss some aspects of your own psyche here on this forum and i constantly ask myself some of the same questions.

Which ones?

admittedly, when we take charge of shaping or reshaping our own minds it is a unique demonstration of willpower not expected from the vision of humans being mere "sophisticated meat machines".  however, the cynic in me wonders how few those moments are when we step out of the pattern of predictability versus the majority of time we spend on cruise control.

Hell, it depends who's doing the predicting. Self-reflection, and seeking out the things you hate, can break you out of personal patterns. Or are you thinking of social roles?

We're self-modifying machines both as individuals and as a species. While history repeats itself to a degree, I don't see us crawling back into caves and rubbing two sticks together as a way of life. As individuals I think we need to figure out how to learn from everyone else's mistakes, because one human lifespan isn't near enough time to reinvent all the patterns from scratch. To the extent that we have similar biology to the other humans (or other species for that matter) around us, we can predict our own responses to stimuli, but if you're really out to break patterns, I think you have to both respect the apparent rules of physical reality, and figure out how to squirm around them.

Offline voltsjolts

• Rookie (be kind to me)
« Reply #1179 on: November 13, 2008, 05:42:03 PM »
I think it's a complex enough machine that reductionism is a moot question. Even if we can simplify things into stimulus and response, the stimuli of life are so tangled and there's such a continuous stream of new input that we're not about to hit the bottom of the rabbit hole anytime soon. I treat the mind as something unique, to the degree that it's useful to be awakened by curiosity, and I treat it as something controllable to the degree that belief in control is necessary to reshape it.
  While the notion of reducing the theory of the human mind to stimulus/response is moot it seems like so many people realize so much less than their potential that they do become less than self aware.  even for those who try hard to be different, there are usually precious few moments in any given day when we are able to or even remember to rise above monotonous thinking.

i've seen you discuss some aspects of your own psyche here on this forum and i constantly ask myself some of the same questions.
Which ones?
You were discussing sexuality some months back referred to being aware of your mental pleasure/reward structure and perhaps intentionally changing it.  Not that i want to turn this into a sex thread but what caught my attention there was the casual discussion of such a bold notion as reprogramming your own mind.  people do change and discuss changing but so often it is only in the most shallow way possible and even that kind of change is extremely difficult.  deeper and willful alteration of your own psyche is quite daring i think.

Hell, it depends who's doing the predicting. Self-reflection, and seeking out the things you hate, can break you out of personal patterns. Or are you thinking of social roles?
i was thinking of personal patterns and not just behavior but also of thought.  for example, self-labeling as politically belonging to "X" and then knee-jerk responding in denial to someone of persuasion "Y" without even thinking of their words.  i read of a study showing how the portions of the brain engaged in composing verbal responses during debates with ideological opponents were the same portions active during physical combat.  those neurons probably don't do such a good job at objective analysis of the other person's position.

We're self-modifying machines both as individuals and as a species. While history repeats itself to a degree, I don't see us crawling back into caves and rubbing two sticks together as a way of life. As individuals I think we need to figure out how to learn from everyone else's mistakes, because one human lifespan isn't near enough time to reinvent all the patterns from scratch. To the extent that we have similar biology to the other humans (or other species for that matter) around us, we can predict our own responses to stimuli, but if you're really out to break patterns, I think you have to both respect the apparent rules of physical reality, and figure out how to squirm around them.
that's an awesome paragraph.  the trick for me personally is carefully choosing to adopt the proper collection of existing patterns that provide me with the most rich life experience.  however, i'm a bit of a rebel too and refuse to build myself entirely out of stock components lest i become more of a model number and less of an individual.
Mar'ishka'harga'tae

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #1180 on: November 14, 2008, 12:38:58 AM »
While the notion of reducing the theory of the human mind to stimulus/response is moot it seems like so many people realize so much less than their potential that they do become less than self aware.  even for those who try hard to be different, there are usually precious few moments in any given day when we are able to or even remember to rise above monotonous thinking.

That's likely true - but it's hard to know what to compare to. Do you have any people in particular that you look to as good examples of rising above repetitive mundane thinking?

You were discussing sexuality some months back referred to being aware of your mental pleasure/reward structure and perhaps intentionally changing it.  Not that i want to turn this into a sex thread but what caught my attention there was the casual discussion of such a bold notion as reprogramming your own mind.  people do change and discuss changing but so often it is only in the most shallow way possible and even that kind of change is extremely difficult.  deeper and willful alteration of your own psyche is quite daring i think.

Thanks.  :) I don't mind if this gets turned into a sex thread, there's plenty to discuss there too. And I don't think it's likely to get too badly sidetracked. (There's the whole rest of the forum for that.  :P )

You've done your own share of reprogramming after you quit the electro-play, if I'm remembering that story right. Has it been successful?

Agreed that deep change is difficult, but it's more possible than people sometimes think. If you've done any research on trauma responses you've probably seen plenty of the inventive ways the mind adapts to circumstances when it believes there's no alternative. If you can trick your mind into thinking the alternatives are too horrible to contemplate, then you can draw on that energy to drive a change. I think innocence is also an important factor - the younger you are, the more plastic a sense you have of the way the world works, and the easier it is to believe in the ability to change. Self-fulfilling prophecy is a big part of the equation so you want it to work in your favor.

i read of a study showing how the portions of the brain engaged in composing verbal responses during debates with ideological opponents were the same portions active during physical combat.  those neurons probably don't do such a good job at objective analysis of the other person's position.

Interesting. I've seen similar studies where people were shown photos and asked to read the arguments of two people, one from their own political party and one from an opposing party. There was a strong bias towards rating the people from their own party higher on metrics that were completely unrelated to the argument, such as physical appearance. People were also more likely to accept the arguments from their own party as sound, and miss the logical flaws. Not to mention all the analysis that's been done of sales techniques and how susceptible people are to emotional appeals.

But the thing is that the generalization and stereotyping that humans naturally do is actually evolutionarily sound, because it allows for split-second decisions and intuitive leaps that are necessary in survival situations. Objective analysis alone isn't enough to solve the problem, or our current AI would be much more capable of "living" and not just solving the highly specialized problems we pose to them now.

the trick for me personally is carefully choosing to adopt the proper collection of existing patterns that provide me with the most rich life experience.

What patterns have you picked? It's easy to talk about this stuff theoretically, but harder to keep it sound in the mess of everyday life.

however, i'm a bit of a rebel too and refuse to build myself entirely out of stock components lest i become more of a model number and less of an individual.

Agreed - and if you try to take conscious control of the entire process, you lose a vital part of creativity and uniqueness. From what I've seen, it's a balancing act.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #1181 on: November 14, 2008, 08:24:34 AM »
Okay, yeah, that sounds like it has more to do with seeing bad in everything than some inherent problem with politics.

Maybe you should run to whichever nation you know the least about.
North Korea? :P

Yeah I probably do have a problem with my own pessimism - though I maintain its warranted.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #1182 on: November 14, 2008, 02:37:00 PM »

Yeah I probably do have a problem with my own pessimism - though I maintain its warranted.

:laugh: Well, that's one way, I suppose. For all I know it is warranted. Doesn't mean it's productive.

Offline voltsjolts

• Rookie (be kind to me)
« Reply #1183 on: November 14, 2008, 10:21:51 PM »
That's likely true - but it's hard to know what to compare to. Do you have any people in particular that you look to as good examples of rising above repetitive mundane thinking?
not too many i can think of.  perhaps richard feynman or lao tzu (if he existed). 

You've done your own share of reprogramming after you quit the electro-play, if I'm remembering that story right. Has it been successful?
yes i've done a lot of self reprogramming but i never succeeded with that one. i've given it up for periods of time but only in a way of using will power against desire.  never eliminating the desire itself.

Agreed that deep change is difficult, but it's more possible than people sometimes think. If you've done any research on trauma responses you've probably seen plenty of the inventive ways the mind adapts to ...
i do believe the brain is adaptable even into adulthood but one difference between say recovering from a trauma and say intentionally removing a desire. in one case, your natural motivation to succeed in change is a given and in the other it's an uphill battle against your own will.

But the thing is that the generalization and stereotyping that humans naturally do is actually evolutionarily sound, because it allows for split-second decisions and intuitive leaps that are necessary in survival situations. Objective analysis alone isn't enough to solve the problem, or our current AI would be much more capable of "living" and not just solving the highly specialized problems we pose to them now.
nice point.  everyone assumes that evolution results in lofty products of sublime refinement when, in fact, it's just about survival.  in specific, it's only about survival up to the point of reproduction and raising a viable independent child.  there is no guarantee that evolution wont heavily bias towards qualities that are undesirable when judged on some scale such as morality or even pure intelligence.  are you familiar with current AI research?  perhaps i'm off base but i get the impression you are in a mathematical or technical field.

What patterns have you picked? It's easy to talk about this stuff theoretically, but harder to keep it sound in the mess of everyday life.
some examples for me personally, i try to force myself to seek out news sources and information that oppose my natural viewpoints in order to constantly challenge my core beliefs.  the more something pisses me off the more i'm determined to get to the root of it and see if there is any substance.  in the professional world, i try to identify fear or weakness and then immediately dive into a situation where i have to conquer it under sink-or-swim circumstances.  it's not easy to keep making choices like this but i believe it's a worthy cause.
Mar'ishka'harga'tae

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #1184 on: November 14, 2008, 10:34:20 PM »

:laugh: Well, that's one way, I suppose. For all I know it is warranted. Doesn't mean it's productive.
Ha - well I am scared that if I become too optimistic, I might also become too productive (which might not be the best of things).