Author Topic: Ask Pyraxis anything  (Read 43151 times)

thepeaguy

Re: Ask Pyraxis anything
« Reply #1005 on: July 17, 2008, 11:38:21 AM »
I want you to put a knife to my throat?

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #1006 on: July 17, 2008, 06:33:43 PM »
I don't know, do you? That's only a question by the slimmest of margins.

What would you do if I were coming at you with one?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

thepeaguy

« Reply #1007 on: July 18, 2008, 04:56:51 AM »
I don't know, do you? That's only a question by the slimmest of margins.

What would you do if I were coming at you with one?

I would probably laugh at ya, you crazy I.T. nerd.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #1008 on: July 18, 2008, 07:01:45 AM »
I shall keep that in mind.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #1009 on: July 21, 2008, 05:14:31 PM »
How was Orlando?    Did you just do the job interview thing, or did you have some time to go looking around the city itself?
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #1010 on: July 21, 2008, 05:41:57 PM »
Oh - I don't fly out there till Wednesday night. The interviews are on Thursday. I'll let you know, when it's over, though.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #1011 on: July 22, 2008, 04:49:14 AM »
I'll let you know, when it's over, though.

Did you know that was one of my best chat up lines?
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

GalileoAce

« Reply #1012 on: July 22, 2008, 04:56:26 AM »

Did it work?

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #1013 on: July 22, 2008, 05:17:11 AM »

Did it work?

No. Not yet!  :asthing:
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

GalileoAce

« Reply #1014 on: July 22, 2008, 05:17:45 AM »
:lol:

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #1015 on: July 25, 2008, 08:54:26 PM »
Quote from: DirtDawg
What's your take on the job (or its suitability to your needs/talents) after this horrid interview process.

I'm still arguing with myself about it - that's why I hadn't posted anything yet.

It is about the polar opposite of the game job I want. It's tech work on formulaic uninspiring projects under the direction of corporate overlords. But I'm asking myself if it's really any better to be doing lighting for equally formulaic uninspiring animated sequels (the current job). At least it would be games.

I'm coming up on my dreams ass-backwards. In college I met an aspie girl with the same dream. She dropped out, joined an independent shareware game project, and is now sole artist for them, while they scramble to meet basic expenses and search for funding. Me, I graduated properly and live relatively comfortably doing tech and lighting, all the while claiming what I really want is games. I guess it's something that I'm good at, going incognito and playing the corporate system, rather than forging an independent creative path. But there's got to be a better way.

My brain still short-circuits itself enough that even though I know exactly what I would need to do to move directly towards my dream job, I am disgustingly unmotivated to do it.

This job pays better than any that I've had, and that's before benefits. I keep telling myself that's not shameful, so long as I invest the money in creative projects and useful causes. But I don't entirely believe me.

The guy who recommended me to the position is a former boss. I was under cover enough when I worked for him that he still doesn't believe I'm an artist. He has many contacts and has gotten me networking and interviews at conventions, but he pushes me as strongly as he can towards technical positions.

The thought of the job makes me sick. But if they make me an offer I will take it, because I don't want to spend another 6-8 months on angst-and-torment-and-resume-posting, as I have between every other gig.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 09:03:33 PM by Pyraxis »

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #1016 on: July 25, 2008, 09:06:06 PM »
It sounds like EA lol.   At least it is in games and you are getting paid well.   It would be an opportunity to get your foot in the door (so to speak) and position yourself in a large corporation.   At the start you might not be doing exactly what you want, but you could get there by working at a huge corporation.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #1017 on: July 25, 2008, 09:09:43 PM »
I did ask several people about that - how easy it is to transfer between different studios. After all they own the place where I really want to be. But apparently it's not done very much - and they consider artists to be second-class citizens to techs - you're supposed to start as a modeler and aspire to be a technical artist, not the other way around. If you want to transfer, you still have to go through the whole application and interview process at the new place like anyone else.

And I'm getting paranoid now. Is this google-able?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 09:11:33 PM by Pyraxis »

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #1018 on: July 25, 2008, 09:15:12 PM »
That is kinda lame.   I can understand why you would want to work there, as they are probably one of my favorite game developers.   Between those two big companies they are both going to end up buying out as many developers as possible, basically until there is no 3rd party companies that aren't employed either of the big two.   I don't know why they look down on artists at that company, but their biggest cash cow is a sports game that requires no original artwork, so that might have something to do with it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 09:52:38 PM by Alex179 »

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #1019 on: July 25, 2008, 09:45:29 PM »
Depends if they know you visit this site or something.    Its not like you use your RL name.