Educational

Author Topic: Ask Pyraxis anything  (Read 43159 times)

purposefulinsanity

Re: Ask Pyraxis anything
« Reply #315 on: July 11, 2006, 03:22:11 AM »
What was the last book you read and what did you think of it?

peegai

« Reply #316 on: July 11, 2006, 05:52:51 AM »
I'm a citizen of the UK, as well as of Canada and the United States. I use whichever one suits me. At that point in time, it suited me to make my point via the UK citizenship.

So, you are a nationality whore who has taken it up the arse from Canada, the United States, and the UK. Bravo.

Eh, it sounded funny. (Note to the dumb: Never laugh at your own jokes.)

Eamonn

« Reply #317 on: July 11, 2006, 07:33:08 AM »
I'm a citizen of the UK, as well as of Canada and the United States. I use whichever one suits me. At that point in time, it suited me to make my point via the UK citizenship.

Wouldnt you agree that it's possible for you to be anti-British despite having British citizenship? I mean you werent born there and havent spent most of your life there. I was born here and raised here and my passport is British. I'm still considered anti-British by a lot of people (not true, just against colonisation and proud of my Irish roots). Please note that im not accusing you of being anti-British, just saying it's very possible for someone with British citizenship to be anti-British, like the July 7th suicide bombers in London, for instance.

Correct me if im wrong but to get American citizenship, dont you have to pledge allegiance to the USA like Anthony Hopkins? He  pledged allegiance to the US didnt he? DO people take this pledge seriously? I understand the US is being more lax on this in recent times and it's still possible to have other citizenships, like some of my relatives for instance have dual Irish/US citizenship.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 07:40:55 AM by Eamonn »

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #318 on: July 12, 2006, 09:57:27 AM »
do you like to hedge your bets?

Yeah - I try to always be prepared for the most likely and sometimes the most dangerous possibilities.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

peegai

« Reply #319 on: July 12, 2006, 10:00:10 AM »
How did the move to the new home go?

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #320 on: July 12, 2006, 10:00:35 AM »
What was the last book you read and what did you think of it?

Can't remember the exact title or author because it was a library book that I returned a couple of days ago, but it was a collection of profiles of the most influential spies, moles, and secret agents in the last 200 years. It was really interesting to see what techniques they used, why they did that kind of work, and to see how they all fit together into a network (because a lot of them were connected to each other, by things like recruiting, working with, or betraying each other).
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #321 on: July 12, 2006, 10:07:29 AM »
Wouldnt you agree that it's possible for you to be anti-British despite having British citizenship? I mean you werent born there and havent spent most of your life there. I was born here and raised here and my passport is British. I'm still considered anti-British by a lot of people (not true, just against colonisation and proud of my Irish roots). Please note that im not accusing you of being anti-British, just saying it's very possible for someone with British citizenship to be anti-British, like the July 7th suicide bombers in London, for instance.

Correct me if im wrong but to get American citizenship, dont you have to pledge allegiance to the USA like Anthony Hopkins? He  pledged allegiance to the US didnt he? DO people take this pledge seriously? I understand the US is being more lax on this in recent times and it's still possible to have other citizenships, like some of my relatives for instance have dual Irish/US citizenship.

I'm not even sure what it would mean to be anti-British. Tell me what beliefs an anti-British person holds and I'll tell you whether I am or not. But sure, I agree, it's quite possible for someone with citizenship to be against their country.

I didn't have to pledge allegiance to the USA (not sure exactly why, since I don't remember the process of getting a US passport, it was a while ago) which I'm damn glad of because I take my sworn word seriously. I don't know how seriously people take the pledge of allegiance - the US has its share of patriotic people, but I don't know personally any immigrants who got citizenship later in their lives. I don't remember ever having to say the pledge in school and I don't know it. I remember when I was living in Canada some girls I knew (around age 13) were in the process of getting their Canadian citizenship and took it really seriously. And in Canadian schools people sung or at least listened to the national anthem every morning, which didn't happen in the US school I went to.

I'm not sure about the exact rules the US has for other citizenships. That's one of the things on my list to figure out.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #322 on: July 12, 2006, 10:08:36 AM »

It went well so far. No luggage lost on the plane. I shipped a bunch of things, including my computer, which haven't arrived yet. So I have yet to see whether that part of the plan will work out.

peegai

« Reply #323 on: July 12, 2006, 10:09:23 AM »

It went well so far. No luggage lost on the plane. I shipped a bunch of things, including my computer, which haven't arrived yet. So I have yet to see whether that part of the plan will work out.

Do you like gardens?

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #324 on: July 12, 2006, 10:11:31 AM »
Do you like gardens?

Not really. I get nervous around bees and wasps. My mother's into gardening and has a really fancy garden, so the idea of a garden isn't really anything special, so I have no reason to have interest in them.

peegai

« Reply #325 on: July 12, 2006, 10:13:19 AM »
Do you like gardens?

Not really. I get nervous around bees and wasps. My mother's into gardening and has a really fancy garden, so the idea of a garden isn't really anything special, so I have no reason to have interest in them.

I can't get enough of them. I'm gonna run my own gardening business someday.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #326 on: July 12, 2006, 11:43:49 AM »
I'm not sure about the exact rules the US has for other citizenships. That's one of the things on my list to figure out.

if you are anything white then  its fairly easy.

Does this jog your memory
Misunderstood.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #327 on: July 19, 2006, 06:58:30 PM »
how come if you use the look and layout board theme PYRAXIS TEST, the logo is no longer there?
Misunderstood.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #328 on: July 19, 2006, 07:03:10 PM »
It got lost when Dunc transferred to the new host. I was going to put it back but he suggested that I wait until he could fix up the themes somehow - can't remember exactly how now. But I was waiting for word from him.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #329 on: July 19, 2006, 07:09:08 PM »
would you rather be daria or the queen of narnia?
Misunderstood.