Author Topic: Ask Pyraxis anything  (Read 43149 times)

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Re: Ask Pyraxis anything
« Reply #750 on: August 06, 2007, 04:05:35 PM »
are you finished with lucifer?  will the main event thread ever see any closure?

I am not finished with Lucifer. Nothing was resolved. I was hoping I could get through the callout using only my own examples, but clearly that's not enough. So I'm working on it.

I shouldn't have started it till I had a more solid case. I acted in the heat of anger - bad move, and my mistake.

I didn't forget the question. I'm answering them in order, same as I always have.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #751 on: August 06, 2007, 04:08:47 PM »
Settled back in America now?

Not exactly settled - I still don't have a new job, so I'm going to have to up and move again at some unexpected point. I've been accepted as a volunteer at the Austin Game Developer's Conference in early September though, so hopefully that will at least get me some leads or contacts to get back into the industry.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #752 on: August 06, 2007, 04:12:11 PM »
Do you think that since much artwork is displayed
in public places, under fluorescent lighting, perhaps
this should be taken into account?

Depends what you intend to do with your art. If your target is upscale galleries, you'll probably get to pick your own lighting, so you can customize it how you like. If you're doing individual commissions, you have to find out how the client plans to hang it. I guess if you're doing the kind of crap that's displayed in waiting rooms and doctor's offices, you should plan for fluorescent - but that stuff is rarely high quality enough for nuances in lighting to make much difference.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #753 on: August 06, 2007, 05:57:22 PM »
Do you think that since much artwork is displayed
in public places, under fluorescent lighting, perhaps
this should be taken into account?

Depends what you intend to do with your art. If your target is upscale galleries, you'll probably get to pick your own lighting, so you can customize it how you like. If you're doing individual commissions, you have to find out how the client plans to hang it. I guess if you're doing the kind of crap that's displayed in waiting rooms and doctor's offices, you should plan for fluorescent - but that stuff is rarely high quality enough for nuances in lighting to make much difference.

I was actually considering more along the lines
of government buildings. UO has a policy where
the science departments (at the least, maybe all),
have to spend a portion of their budget on artwork.
Likewise, there is a new courthouse here, for which
some decent stuff was purchased. With the stuff
in our halls, some of it is clearly at a disadvantage,
due to the lighting. Higher class office buildings
also tend to purchase works of art. I suppose some
of these are commissioned, and in some cases, specific
lighting is provided, but where I am, 'tis definitely a
problem. I wonder if they could divert some of that
budget to displaying it properly. ???

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #754 on: August 06, 2007, 06:15:11 PM »
I'd be in favor of that, but I also think the artist should take enough pride in their work to ensure that it's presented decently. At least as best they can - I know they don't have direct control over the bureaucracies that pick the art for government buildings. But there are things that can be done to color balance and such to make it stand up to a variety of lighting types.

I guess what would really have to be done is get people who actually care about art to be in charge of hanging it. If you've got a mandatory portion of the budget allocated, you'll sometimes get indifferent people doing the minimum required.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #755 on: August 06, 2007, 06:22:40 PM »
If you've got a mandatory portion of the budget allocated, you'll sometimes get indifferent people doing the minimum required.

Indeed. The faculty in the department who are
in charge of it care, but they don't seem to take
the lighting into consideration. Which makes sense.
You go to a gallery, and something looks like it would
be nice, but then you can't find anywhere that it
really goes.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #756 on: August 06, 2007, 06:56:36 PM »
are you finished with lucifer?  will the main event thread ever see any closure?

I am not finished with Lucifer. Nothing was resolved. I was hoping I could get through the callout using only my own examples, but clearly that's not enough. So I'm working on it.

I shouldn't have started it till I had a more solid case. I acted in the heat of anger - bad move, and my mistake.

I didn't forget the question. I'm answering them in order, same as I always have.
give me a teaser.  is there some truth to my speculation in the peanut gallery thread?

i did notice that DW didn't PM me for more information and i haven't seen her since.
Misunderstood.

The_P

« Reply #757 on: August 07, 2007, 09:02:01 AM »

Could you analyze this guy?

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #758 on: August 08, 2007, 01:18:04 PM »
Have you seen Benny and Joon?

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #759 on: August 08, 2007, 01:57:04 PM »
What do you know of the mystical properties of urine?

Own feelings only, not canned stuff I can pull off wiki.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #760 on: August 08, 2007, 02:11:39 PM »
give me a teaser.  is there some truth to my speculation in the peanut gallery thread?

i did notice that DW didn't PM me for more information and i haven't seen her since.

Yes. And Walkie's still around, she just has to ration her internet for $ reasons - she's on pay-as-you-go dialup.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #761 on: August 09, 2007, 01:59:16 PM »

Yes. And Walkie's still around, she just has to ration her internet for $ reasons - she's on pay-as-you-go dialup.
if i paid for her to have unlimited for one month, would she promise to make 1000 posts here?
Misunderstood.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #762 on: August 10, 2007, 01:30:52 PM »
Copied from my callout with Lucifer, 'cause it's more relevant to me than the callout.

you're projecting like fuck.  have a good look at whatever it is you're up to, and think about it.

Been there, done that - what do you take me for? One of the reasons this pisses me off so much is that when it comes to manipulation, you cross a line that I am very careful not to cross. I genuinely wish people well; my mindgames are an attempt to satisfy a craving in an environment where it might actually do some good, and at the very least will cause minimal harm. I'm out to do more than avoid the law of threefold return; I'm out to net a positive result.

And if all the admissions of manipulation weren't a kind of forum political suicide, then this surely is, because no one's going to trust me for a moment by the time this is all over. But I'm not a politician, I'm an artist, writer and storyteller. I turned politician in order to learn the ways of the world I was stuck living in. If I hadn't, I'd still be rocking in a corner somewhere in a fortress of fantasy novels, with no idea how to hold a conversation, make friends or get a job.

So I've messed up my credibility. I don't give a fuck; in my own confused way I'm looking for truth. And it's worth it.

that's your problem.  deal with it.
*smile* What do you think I'm doing? All my life I've been accused of caring too much. I'd rather get swept up in emotional drama sometimes than live in apathy. Maybe forum drama isn't the proper thing to be sentimental about. But harm to my friends is something I'm going to fight.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #763 on: August 10, 2007, 01:44:27 PM »
You're running for office?

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #764 on: August 10, 2007, 01:58:26 PM »

Could you analyze this guy?

Okay, I only had patience to watch the first few minutes of it, until he started on the list of thanking his 18 (18! he's the media sensation of the millenium!) subscribers.

Attention whore compenating for how utterly boring he is by pretending he doesn't care if he doesn't get a lot of attention.