Author Topic: Ask Pyraxis anything  (Read 43152 times)

Offline Tom/Mutate

• bass martian
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
Re: Ask Pyraxis anything
« Reply #705 on: May 17, 2007, 04:36:05 PM »
I like the cute toes.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #706 on: May 20, 2007, 05:59:06 AM »
Okay, so you were a mod over at WP along with
larsen. Is the guy really the moron that he seems
now? Any idea how he got de-modded?

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #707 on: May 21, 2007, 04:29:56 PM »
Okay, so you were a mod over at WP along with
larsen. Is the guy really the moron that he seems
now? Any idea how he got de-modded?

Dunno if I'd call it "moron", he's just badly affected by autism. But yes.

And no clue how he got demodded. I vaguely remember talk of him being demodded when I was there, but I don't think it ever happened, because Alex wanted him as a mod.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #708 on: May 21, 2007, 06:49:19 PM »
Ah. I was wondering if he faded in and out as
Randy seems to. As sometimes, his posts seem
to make sense, but usually they strike me as
completely inane.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #709 on: May 21, 2007, 06:50:09 PM »
what ever happened to cockney rebel?
Misunderstood.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #710 on: May 21, 2007, 08:16:07 PM »
At risk of answering in someone else's
thread, she's still at WP, and going strong.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #711 on: May 24, 2007, 09:13:03 AM »
Ah. I was wondering if he faded in and out as Randy seems to. As sometimes, his posts seem to make sense, but usually they strike me as completely inane.

I haven't noticed much fading in and out on Randy's part, but I haven't really watched either of them closely. They're not the kind of incoherent that I'm good at interpreting.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #712 on: May 24, 2007, 09:25:17 AM »
You said you've been moving countries- where are you living now?

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #713 on: May 24, 2007, 09:27:15 AM »
Back in the United States. Hoping to pick up some new CG work soon.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #714 on: May 24, 2007, 09:28:15 AM »
Back in the United States. Hoping to pick up some new CG work soon.

Did the other job not work out or was it a short term contract? (You don't have to answer if its too personal).

The_P

« Reply #715 on: May 24, 2007, 09:29:07 AM »
I've recently got an album of Final Fantasy VIII. Want me to send you some of my favourite tracks?

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #716 on: May 24, 2007, 09:44:21 AM »
It didn't work out, but I wasn't fired - I quit.

I would be happy to rant about the place, so it's not too personal. It was run by a former neuropsychologist who I suspect is a clinical narcissist. The only reason it still exists is his wife's father is still feeding him money. It's located in the middle of nowhere in the run-down office suite attached to his wife's father's pipe warehouse. That, I wouldn't mind, if it was producing any work with any remote fragment of vision or ingenuity. But it's not - it's all an absurd and tasteless mirror of his personal sense of humor. The most common response, when a new animator comes to work there, is to look at the playblasts and say quietly to a co-worker, "what the fuck? Is this shit for real? Are they really going to produce this?" at which point the co-worker says "yeah, I know it's awful, but what can you do?" At which point the owner walks up with the kind of fake-charisma presence of a politician, looks over their shoulders, and says "very good, keep up the good work".

He has set up his own little world where the only people to get close enough to see it for what it is are too cowed by him for one reason or another to give him the truth. Those who speak up get fired. There are plenty of naive young animation graduates desperate to get into the industry, who see "feature film" and "sean connery's voice" and are happy to take a minimum wage internship to take their places. The staff turnover rate is about 3 months - because I was there for 6, I was one of the senior members of the team. Because most of the employees aren't familiar with the industry, they don't realize just how bad the pipeline and organization is, and what it means that the project hasn't even been greenlighted yet.

I stayed because I'd signed a 6 months lease, and because I was in a foreign country and it would be a waste to leave sooner, and because the Scottish highlands are gorgeous.

This is the second time I've walked of my own free will into a situation like this. I'm really not as ignorant as I act. Somehow I need to pick up a CG job that I can actually be passionate about.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #717 on: May 24, 2007, 09:48:31 AM »
I've recently got an album of Final Fantasy VIII. Want me to send you some of my favourite tracks?

Sure, that would be cool  :) I can't get yahoo messenger to work from the wireless network I'm piggybacking on right now, so we couldn't do file transfer. But if you send them as attachments to emails, I'll be able to get to them soon enough.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #718 on: May 24, 2007, 10:00:22 AM »
Its a shame your boss turned out to be such a twat, but its good that you can see the positive side of your time there. :)

The_P

« Reply #719 on: May 24, 2007, 10:26:43 AM »

Sure, that would be cool  :) I can't get yahoo messenger to work from the wireless network I'm piggybacking on right now, so we couldn't do file transfer. But if you send them as attachments to emails, I'll be able to get to them soon enough.

It's done.