Educational

Author Topic: Ask Pyraxis anything  (Read 43149 times)

Offline Draggon

• L337 H@X0R 0V T3H @$P13 L337
  • Postwhore
Re: Ask Pyraxis anything
« Reply #525 on: October 21, 2006, 01:30:00 PM »
I haven't actually seen it. Is it worth it?
Well its one of the classic sci-fi movies of all time so yes....
Also no 2001 in your list which is a damn shame... and wtf do you like Waterworld for?
"run with a pack, not with a herd"

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #526 on: October 21, 2006, 01:55:34 PM »
2001 was okay... just not intensely good. Too overly-intellectual - I like my intelligent thought with a good side-order of action, otherwise it seems like it's taking itself too seriously. Probably because between my family and art school, I've spent way too much time watching people try to create elite-art just to be elite and not because of intrinsic merits.

Waterworld, I loved first because of the set design. It wasn't just a rehash of the usual fantasy/SF themes... it felt like a real world, a real place. Also I liked the survival atmosphere - a place where every little detail matters because humans are living so close to death. And the sequence where Imola (or whatever that little girl's name is) is mouthing off to the evil bad guy about how badass the hero is, while shots of the hero sliding down chains and generally kicking ass are cut into it, was just hilarious.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Draggon

• L337 H@X0R 0V T3H @$P13 L337
  • Postwhore
« Reply #527 on: October 21, 2006, 02:30:40 PM »
2001 was okay... just not intensely good. Too overly-intellectual - I like my intelligent thought with a good side-order of action, otherwise it seems like it's taking itself too seriously. Probably because between my family and art school, I've spent way too much time watching people try to create elite-art just to be elite and not because of intrinsic merits.

Waterworld, I loved first because of the set design. It wasn't just a rehash of the usual fantasy/SF themes... it felt like a real world, a real place. Also I liked the survival atmosphere - a place where every little detail matters because humans are living so close to death. And the sequence where Imola (or whatever that little girl's name is) is mouthing off to the evil bad guy about how badass the hero is, while shots of the hero sliding down chains and generally kicking ass are cut into it, was just hilarious.

Jeez... you're like a guy :LOL:
"run with a pack, not with a herd"

Offline techstepgenr8tion

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #528 on: October 21, 2006, 03:49:44 PM »
Since we're on the topic of movies I've gotta ask, what did you think of Dark City?
Born into this world for one inherent purpose: to drop science and drop it heavy.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #529 on: October 21, 2006, 07:51:57 PM »
Since we're on the topic of movies I've gotta ask, what did you think of Dark City?

I haven't seen it. It sounds interesting though - I'll put it on the list.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

The_P

« Reply #530 on: March 05, 2007, 10:47:02 AM »
Any luck with the job hunt yet, Py?

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #531 on: March 05, 2007, 12:42:31 PM »
Well, it's only been two days since we talked about it. At the moment I'm still trying to get my portfolio updated. Once I've finished that, I'll get myself on a regular schedule for sending out apps. Friend of mine's in the hospital at the moment so I've been a bit distracted.

The_P

« Reply #532 on: March 05, 2007, 01:11:39 PM »
Well, it's only been two days since we talked about it. At the moment I'm still trying to get my portfolio updated. Once I've finished that, I'll get myself on a regular schedule for sending out apps. Friend of mine's in the hospital at the moment so I've been a bit distracted.

Sorry to hear about your friend. Hope she recovers.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #533 on: March 05, 2007, 01:17:37 PM »

Probably won't recover all the way; it's serious.

The_P

« Reply #534 on: March 05, 2007, 01:19:25 PM »

Probably won't recover all the way; it's serious.

...I see. :/

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #535 on: March 05, 2007, 01:22:18 PM »
:/

The_P

« Reply #536 on: March 05, 2007, 01:23:01 PM »
:/

Sorry, I didn't know what else to say. I don't like to joke about these things.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 01:24:46 PM by The_P »

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #537 on: March 05, 2007, 01:28:59 PM »
It's okay, I'm not expecting you to joke about it. The :/ smiley was meant to say "yeah, that's about how I feel about it too. It sucks."

The_P

« Reply #538 on: March 15, 2007, 02:52:47 PM »
I see that you've quoted Amanda Baggs, Pyraxis. In what way does AB appeal to you as an advocate?

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #539 on: March 15, 2007, 02:58:03 PM »
The solidity of her writing style and her ability to describe things that most people accept without questioning, but that really need to be questioned. Her self-discipline. Her logic. And the fact that I am almost completely unable to communicate with her without coming off as a prick fascinates me.