Educational

Author Topic: Why does it feel like I swallowed carpet tacks?  (Read 976 times)

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
Why does it feel like I swallowed carpet tacks?
« on: March 01, 2008, 11:47:57 PM »
My stomach has been killing me for over a full day now.  It started yesterday, after we had dinner it got exponentially worse.  I didn't eat anything all day today, and it started to get worse again after feeling bearable for most of the day.  I had some cereal a while ago and it's still hurting like crazy.  If I lie completely still it's OK, but if I'm up and about it's like being stabbed.
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Why does it feel like I swallowed carpet tacks?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 12:01:26 AM »
My stomach has been killing me for over a full day now.  It started yesterday, after we had dinner it got exponentially worse.  I didn't eat anything all day today, and it started to get worse again after feeling bearable for most of the day.  I had some cereal a while ago and it's still hurting like crazy.  If I lie completely still it's OK, but if I'm up and about it's like being stabbed.

I wonder if you possibly have a stomach virus or food poisoning, Tesla.

Is anyone else sick?

What did you eat for dinner last night just before the pain got exponentially worse?

Has there been any nausea or vomiting?  Any diarrhea?

Offline Tesla

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 02:14:44 AM »
I had some yogurt and some leftover pasta from the night before early in the day, we went for coffee, and then had dinner at an indian restaurant.  I tried not to eat anything today, but it didn't really seem to help.  So, I went ahead and had some cereal and a little while ago I had an apple and some chicken with rice. 

No one else is sick.  I've felt nauseated, more so last night, but not bad enough to vomit.  Nothing else to report really... besides the pain in my stomach.

I've had food poisoning before, but it wasn't like this. 

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 04:39:25 AM »
that's why i never eat out. :toporly:

you should maybe call a doctor. or go see one even.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 04:43:48 AM »
definitely go to the doctor's hon.  you need to be reassured, apart from anything else.

:hug:

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 06:58:38 AM »

I had some yogurt and some leftover pasta from the night before early in the day, we went for coffee, and then had dinner at an indian restaurant.  I tried not to eat anything today, but it didn't really seem to help.  So, I went ahead and had some cereal and a little while ago I had an apple and some chicken with rice. 

No one else is sick.  I've felt nauseated, more so last night, but not bad enough to vomit.  Nothing else to report really... besides the pain in my stomach.

I've had food poisoning before, but it wasn't like this. 

This worries me because my brother died of acute pancreatitis.  Even though he did not have the characteristic pain, you have pain in the correct area for it to be acute pancreatitis.

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec09/ch124/ch124b.html

Here is an excerpt from the Merck Manual:

Acute Pancreatitis

Acute pancreatitis is sudden inflammation of the pancreas that may be mild or life threatening but that usually subsides.

Gallstones and alcohol abuse are the main causes of acute pancreatitis.
Severe abdominal pain is the predominant symptom.
Blood tests and imaging tests, such as x-rays and computed tomography, help the doctor make the diagnosis.
Whether mild or severe, acute pancreatitis usually requires hospitalization.

Gallstones (biliary tract disease—see Gallbladder and Bile Duct Disorders: Gallstones) and alcohol abuse account for almost 80% of hospital admissions for acute pancreatitis. About 1½ times as many women as men have acute pancreatitis caused by gallstones. Normally, the pancreas secretes pancreatic fluid through the pancreatic duct to the duodenum. This pancreatic fluid contains digestive enzymes in an inactive form and inhibitors that inactivate any enzymes that become activated on the way to the duodenum. Blockage of the pancreatic duct by a gallstone stuck in the sphincter of Oddi stops the flow of pancreatic fluid. Usually, the blockage is temporary and causes limited damage, which is soon repaired. But if the blockage remains, activated enzymes accumulate in the pancreas, overwhelm the inhibitors, and begin to digest the cells of the pancreas, causing severe inflammation.

Drinking as little as 2 ounces of alcohol a day (half a bottle of wine, 4 bottles of beer, or 5 ounces of liquor) for several years may cause the small ductules in the pancreas that drain into the pancreatic duct to clog, eventually causing acute pancreatitis. An attack of pancreatitis may be precipitated by an alcoholic binge or by an excessively large meal. Many other conditions can also cause acute pancreatitis.

Many drugs can irritate the pancreas. Usually, the inflammation resolves when the drugs are stopped. Viruses can cause pancreatitis, which is usually short-lived.

Some Causes of Acute Pancreatitis

Gallstones
Alcohol abuse
Drugs such as furosemide
Some Trade Names:  LASIX
and azathioprine
Some Trade Names:  IMURAN
Estrogen use in women with high levels of lipids in the blood
Hyperparathyroidism and high levels of calcium in the blood
Mumps
High levels of lipids (especially triglycerides) in the blood
Damage to the pancreas from surgery or endoscopy
Damage to the pancreas from blunt or penetrating injuries
Cancer of the pancreas
Reduced blood supply to the pancreas, for example, from severely low blood pressure
Hereditary pancreatitis
Kidney transplantation

Symptoms

Almost everyone with acute pancreatitis suffers severe abdominal pain in the upper abdomen, below the breastbone (sternum). The pain often penetrates to the back in about 50% of people. Rarely, the pain is first felt in the lower abdomen. When acute pancreatitis is caused by gallstones, the pain usually starts suddenly and reaches its maximum intensity in minutes. When pancreatitis is caused by alcoholism, pain develops over a few days. The pain then remains steady and severe, has a penetrating quality, and persists for days.

Coughing, vigorous movement, and deep breathing may worsen the pain. Sitting upright and leaning forward may provide some relief. Most people feel nauseated and have to vomit, sometimes to the point of dry heaves—retching without producing any vomit. Often, even large doses of an injected opioid analgesic (see Pain: Opioid Analgesics) do not relieve pain completely.

Some people, especially those who develop acute pancreatitis because of alcohol abuse, may never develop any symptoms other than moderate pain. Others feel terrible. They look sick and sweaty and have a fast pulse (100 to 140 beats a minute) and shallow, rapid breathing. Rapid breathing may occur if people have inflammation of the lungs, areas of collapsed lung tissue (atelectasis—see Atelectasis), or accumulation of fluid in the chest cavity (pleural effusion—see Pleural Disorders: Pleural Effusion). These conditions decrease the amount of lung tissue available to transfer oxygen from the air to the blood.

At first, body temperature may be normal, but it increases in a few hours to between 100° F and 101° F (37.7° C and 38.3° C). Blood pressure may be high or low, but it tends to fall when the person stands, causing faintness. As acute pancreatitis progresses, people tend to be less and less aware of their surroundings—some are nearly unconscious. Occasionally, the whites of the eyes (sclera) become yellowish.

Complications: Damage to the pancreas may permit activated enzymes and toxins such as cytokines (see Biology of the Immune System: Cytokines) to enter the bloodstream and cause low blood pressure and damage to organs outside of the abdominal cavity, such as the lungs and kidneys. The part of the pancreas that produces hormones, especially insulin, tends not to be damaged or affected. One of five people with acute pancreatitis develops some swelling in the upper abdomen. This swelling may occur because the movement of stomach and intestinal contents stops (a condition called ileus—see Gastrointestinal Emergencies: Appendicitis)....

I also think that it would be wise for you to see a doctor, Tesla.

Kosmonaut

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 07:10:43 AM »
Yeah, could be anything really.
I usually get nauseous and dizzy with food poisoning and gastroentiritus ( same with appendicitis).
Maybe a stomach ulcer or a damage to the stomach lining or something  ???
Best to see a doctor.   

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 07:24:15 AM »
A doctor would be able to give the best answer and solution to this.  For me it was heartburn I never had it till I was 40 and had no clue what was going on I thought I was going to die
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Kosmonaut

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 07:35:04 AM »
A doctor would be able to give the best answer and solution to this.  For me it was heartburn I never had it till I was 40 and had no clue what was going on I thought I was going to die

Yes, I've had heartburn and indigestion for years. In my case, it is worse when I lie down though - I can't eat anything 90 minutes before I go to sleep.

"If I lie completely still it's OK, but if I'm up and about it's like being stabbed." - I don't think it's heartburn.  :-\

richard

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 09:05:49 AM »
indian reastruant? theres your problem right there brah, im shure those fuckers arent up to code with health inspections

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 09:14:55 AM »
hey don't knock teh indians. they be hot. :P

seriously Tesla see a doctor asap! we don't want you to die and stuff.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Tesla

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 11:50:24 AM »
There's a free medical clinic open on mondays...  I'll see if I can get an appointment for that. 

Thanks everyone.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 01:38:34 PM »
let us know how you get on, hon.

:hug:

richard

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 01:42:32 PM »
 :puke:

Offline Tristeza

• Official Outsider of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008, 02:30:36 PM »
Yeah, it doesn't sound like normal heartburn to me.  Sounds like a gallbladder problem - you may need to get it removed.  Nothing to it.

Good luck, Tesla.  Hope you feel better.   :)
hats off to the man on top of the world
come crawl up here baby, and we can watch this damn thing turn