Author Topic: People Who Choose To Not Be Vegetarian.  (Read 8615 times)

Offline Merry Widow

• Chav Slayer
  • Postwhore
  • Capish!
People Who Choose To Not Be Vegetarian.
« on: June 27, 2006, 03:51:00 PM »
is there actually any  reason why some people still eat meat in this day and age? because i can't think of one.

the benefits of being vegetarian are obvious:

1. it's healthier - you are less likely to develop heart disease or even cancer, most food scares tend to be related to meat (rather than dairy or anything else) and you are less likely to get food-poisoning from badly prepared / out-of-date food.

2. it's kind to animals.  8)

3. it's more environmentally friendly (growing vegetables uses less resources than producing meat).

i'm just curious to know if there are any reasons why people eat meat, other than that they think it tastes nice.

Postperson

Re: People Who Choose To Not Be Vegetarian.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 03:52:02 PM »
The dogs like it.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 03:52:39 PM »
It's a lot cheaper and more convenient than making sure you're getting enough protein from other sources.

I've already got enough diet restrictions, the last thing I want is more.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 03:53:54 PM »
me man
me like meat
humpf.
Misunderstood.

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 03:54:53 PM »
Dennis Leary said it best: "Eggplant tastes like eggplant. But meat tastes like murder, and murder tastes pretty goddamn good."
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

duncvis

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 04:01:41 PM »
It's a lot cheaper and more convenient than making sure you're getting enough protein from other sources.

nuff said. Also worth considering:

veg based food usually needs something interesting doing with it to make it edible, but even I can cook burgers.

Also would end up half starved and miserable. Its a pretty key ingredient in most stuff thats worth eating... (pies, pizza toppings, pies, most sandwiches - when I was a veggie for a while I got sick of cheese - battered almost anything...) So I'll give it a miss for now, ta.

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 04:04:42 PM »
Seriously though, I'm not a huge meat eater but veggies and fruits are expensive nowadays. It's also the meat's fault for tasting so good. I like my veggies, but I like seafood a lot more. They're so good with their succulent little juices. If I was told that if I ever ate another piece of meat again I would die, I would probably eat another piece of meat. And blame advertising. Everywhere I go there are cows on signs telling me to eat more chicken. And dammit I like chicken!
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Triste

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 04:19:33 PM »
What about all the animals killed when the soybean fields are harvested with tractors?

It's impossible to live in this world without harming an animal, even unintentionally.  Ever take an aspirin?  Animals are harmed when any drug is tested.  Or those leather shoes, watch band, etc.

Vegetarians seem to fall into two categories:
Fat, because all they eat are carbs
Obnoxious, because they spend all their time obsessing about what they can't eat. 

We're lucky to have food readily and easily, IMO. 

Offline DivaD

• two-bit whore
  • Frequent Poster
  • nobody's nothing
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 04:41:10 PM »

most meat i can't eat because it upsets my digestion. the trouble is a lot of beans and nuts also upset my digestion.  >:(

so i guess i end up having about 4 or 5 meals a week which have chicken or sometimes fish. and now i'm probably developing an intolerance to chicken. grrrr! :(
aspie trash. real intense talk. no wanky drama.

Hypnotica_Gaze

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 09:57:17 PM »
I must agree with Omega on this issue.

I am a vegetarian, however maybe its just easier for me to stay that way, not just because of my personal views, but due to the fact ive been a vegetarian since a very young age. I also dont have any probs finding what to eat. :)

I actually couldnt eat meat anyways even if i wanted to (which i dont), quite some time ago when i was ill, it was suggested i try eating certain meat products to get extra protein, i tried a few times, but it made me even more physically ill. It was suggested due to the fact id been a vegetarian for so long my body may have built some sort of immunity to eating meat. I personally think it was a combination of that plus possibly psychological thing related to the fact i actually didnt want to eat meat and hated it etc

There is still a need for drugs to be tested on animals as there arent any other better options (prob wont ever be however there could be better testing methods, selection process etc), But there isnt really any need for people to still eat animals, there are other options.

Dont know if Omega agrees with that, but thats the way i see it.

Each to their own though. :)

« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 10:21:05 PM by Hypnotica_Gaze »

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 04:23:22 AM »
I understand your reasoning for being vegetarian but why are you not vegan if animal welfare and health are concerns?

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 04:37:35 AM »
BTW- I'm not a veggie cos I love to eat the meat  ;)

Offline Randy

• Fairy Self Actualizing Healer
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Picture of the person who changed my avitar
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 06:45:27 AM »
He he, Hypnotica agrees...

I know quite a bit about nutrition, being that it affects mood.  When you leave a food group out, you increase your chances of missing out on extra or necessary benefits.  I could go into complex detail if you want. You want to think about animals? Some farmers cage their animals up tightly, but that makes for tender meat. They also may feed them food they would not naturally eat in the wild.  Grass makes for far more nutritious meat than than the grains they feed their cows.
Biggest bullshitter on the web, the person who is says that is a jealous wanker who needs some personal devolpement.

Spread your legs woman!

peegai

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 09:24:22 AM »
I like eating meat, but if Vivi ever cooks me a delicious vegetarian meal, I'll go for it.

Hypnotica_Gaze

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 09:25:38 AM »
Meat and Eggs are almost pretty much the only things i dont eat.
Im not Vegan. I drink organic milk, and eat organic cheese suitable for vegetarians. For a couple of reasons.
Its also a little different compared to actually eating an animal. :)

But those are just my preferences, as i said before, some things suit some, and some things suit others more.

Yes some people can be affected by cutting out some types of food, same way others can be affected by eating certain types.

I know a poor sod who is on such a shit diet due to the way certain foods affect her, she has several intolerances and cant eat all these different things, and by god id be a miserable cunt if i was her, i like my food too much. AND AND AND She cant even eat chocolate, imagine the horror!! ::)