Educational

Author Topic: I'm game - what do you want to know?  (Read 6644 times)

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
Re: I'm game - what do you want to know?
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2006, 02:14:40 PM »
Have you ever wished you could have taken another path in life? And if so what would that path be?
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Triste

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2006, 02:37:19 PM »
who told you I was neuroman?

But you are, right? (Sorry, Triste, I won't hijack your thread again.)
No problem, Odeon.  No, he is definitely NOT Neuroman.

Triste

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2006, 02:43:45 PM »
Have you ever wished you could have taken another path in life? And if so what would that path be?
I have thought about this many times.  I've decided I'd have to go way back, to when I was 15 and finally gave in to peer pressure and smoked a cigarette.  If I hadn't done that, I would have not met my ex-husband, and all would be better.

And more recently, I regret filing a complaint with the EEOC about my last job.  I got shafted, and not just because I am now jobless and having a hard time finding a job in a small town.  I also wonder about whether going into nursing was the right path.  I'm actually applying to work as a nurse at both the local county jail and state prison, because you don't have to smile at the inmates and I can be brusque, as is my nature.

hiroshima

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2006, 04:48:30 PM »
Triste, describe yourself as you were as an aspie adolescent (age 12-14ish roughly).  What obstacles were put before you, how did you handle them, did you ever get any help from anyone?

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2006, 04:56:12 PM »
How did you first find out about AS?
How old were you at the time?

:D

Sorry--had to borrow your questions. You'll have them back in no time.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Triste

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2006, 05:14:17 PM »
Triste, describe yourself as you were as an aspie adolescent (age 12-14ish roughly).  What obstacles were put before you, how did you handle them, did you ever get any help from anyone?
I was quiet, shy, insecure, especially about my appearance.  The social aspects were mind-boggling.  I didn't fit in anywhere.  I did well in school despite falling in with the stoners and doing every drug put before me.  I also practiced ballet at the time, which didn't really fit into the stoner stereotype.  I was, and still am, a fish out of water in whatever situation.  My mother, who is an aspie, never talked to me, was hostile, and unseeing of how troubled I was.  I had no other family, nobody to turn to for help.  Not that I knew at the time that I needed help, of course. 

I believed that if I could just get away from my house, after high school, that I would be successful in life.  So I had some hope.

I've had anhedonia ever since I can remember, which sucks, and I still haven't figured out how to deal with that.  Is there an anhedonia bulletin board, I wonder?

So now I have teenagers of my own, and I wish it could be easier for them than it was for me.  Even though they don't have AS, they've been subject to the difficulties brought on by me and my inability to deal with the world, as well as by their father, who is an alcoholic and smokes crack and hasn't had a job in the 10 years since I left him.  Poor choice on my part - I was only 19 when I met him.

Speaking of help, I just today decided that we need help.  So this morning I called the local support services office, requesting a case manager for me and the kids.  I'm at home waiting by the phone to hear back from them.  I have hope that they can help us out.  We'll see, but I am going to try to advocate for us as best as I can, given my limited functioning at this point.

Triste

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2006, 05:17:33 PM »
How did you first find out about AS?
How old were you at the time?
It was January 2005.  I was 41.  I was surfing the internet and came upon a description of AS.  It was an epiphany for me, an "Aha!" moment.  I knew immediately that this was the explanation for everything. 

Hypnotica_Gaze

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2006, 06:28:44 PM »
Can i just say, i think its great that you pointed out the things you did in your post and that you asked for help, for you and your kids. I hope things work out well for you.

How long did you do ballet for? (i did it for a while when i was really young, thought about getting back into a while ago but well had other things i needed to do more)

Did finding out you had AS make any major difference to you and your life?

Triste

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2006, 06:38:55 PM »
Can i just say, i think its great that you pointed out the things you did in your post and that you asked for help, for you and your kids. I hope things work out well for you.

How long did you do ballet for? (i did it for a while when i was really young, thought about getting back into a while ago but well had other things i needed to do more)

Did finding out you had AS make any major difference to you and your life?
Thanks, HG.  I did ballet from age 9 to 19.  I switched to yoga a while back which I like better. 

Yes it has made a major difference.  The biggest thing is knowing I'm not alone.  I felt like an alien and couldn't understand why I couldn't understand people.  Knowing there's an explanation for this, and that others have this problem, has been very liberating. 

Hypnotica_Gaze

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2006, 06:43:47 PM »
I switched to yoga too after i stopped doing ballet. :)

Thats good finding out had a positive result for you.

Offline Draggon

• L337 H@X0R 0V T3H @$P13 L337
  • Postwhore
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2006, 10:56:05 PM »
So what do you think of this wild & crazy bunch hmm? ;D
"run with a pack, not with a herd"

Triste

« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2006, 04:35:34 AM »
I think I'll miss you all when I am in school and working.

Hibakusha

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2006, 09:21:47 AM »
No problem, Odeon.  No, he is definitely NOT Neuroman.

YEAAAA..I'm not a Neurotic Man

Have you ever wondered if different users are different users?

I guess this is a test to see if you are a neurotic woman who can understand the question.

Expound as much or as little as you feel comfortable with, without making me look like the only paranoid freak here.

Triste

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2006, 01:07:02 PM »
Have you ever wondered if different users are different users?
Yes.  I thought you might be McJ at first, because your post styles at first glance were somewhat similar.  Now that I've read more of yours, I see the difference.
Other than that, I'm not paranoid.

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2006, 12:43:46 AM »
How do You like Intensitysquared?
Guardian of the Empire