Educational

Author Topic: help me quit smoking  (Read 3481 times)

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: help me quit smoking
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 12:49:18 AM »
think of it as a choice:  you can actually have that cig you're craving, you're simply choosing not to.  that did it for me.

the patches are good for the nicotine addiction, although make sure you get the dose right: i went too high, and kids i taught that morning are probably still recovering from me pinging around the room like that caffeine addict kid in "south park".  :laugh:

get plenty of encouragement and support.  there are a couple of uk websites which are really good, and stop smoking clinics, which i don't know if you have over there.  i'll post them if you're interested - some good tips on there.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 12:55:35 AM »
I didn't know you stopped.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 01:02:38 AM »
for eight months, july 2006-february 2007.  i started again because i can't get any fucking support/treatment for my ED, and it's the only way i can manage it.  i don't want to smoke, but ti's less of a head fuck (and cheaper) than the ED.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 05:39:35 AM »
Different things are going to work for different people- some people really recommend replacing fags with gum (either nicotine or normal), but I always found that made me think about smoking even more- I'd be constantly thinking 'this is no-where near as good as a cig.'  Patches made my muscles really ache despite putting them in a different area every day.  The thing that finally worked for me- much more than the guilt trips I placed on myself about the damage to my health and the example I was setting my children - was finding something else I really wanted to spend my money on and seeing the money build up for each day I didn't smoke.  Plus finding something else to do with my hands, especially during the danger points in the day (the I always have a cig now times of day). 

I'm still at the stage where I think a couple of times a day that I'd really like a smoke, but I don't want to have to go through all this again so I've managed to resist the temptation so far.

Good luck Jman.

Offline jman

• Road warrior pimpdaddy of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 07:55:34 AM »
Thank you for those that have been supportive It's now been 15 hours and I am still hanging in there

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2008, 08:01:04 AM »
 :clap: :plus:

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2008, 08:02:30 AM »
It gets easier.... trust me.  I went through this two months ago, and it doesn't take nearly as long as you think it might.  It's not easy, but it's completely worth doing.
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2008, 10:28:43 AM »
Don't  be a dick, you called?

Seriously, its not that hard, just find some other healthy habit to replace the urge to smoke.  Make up nutritional imbalances to, so you reduce all urges for unhealthy habits.  Sometimes when you go cold turkey from drugs you get things like seizures, in those cases, I recommend going down gradually.
famous piligram John Alden is my direct descendent. physically fit!, wanna hit me yet?, warnning, you may have to acutually walk first! Persuasive creates his own luck has ability & drive to succeed   drink "Diet Dr. Maina" :) "62" orgasms at 1 time Fuck you faggot ass! not wishing Metabolic profile ( insulin metabolism etc) is almost perfect with no psychic meds, so go fuck yourself! semiautonomic controll over tear glands ambedexterous

Offline jman

• Road warrior pimpdaddy of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 11:20:17 AM »

Seriously, its not that hard, just find some other healthy habit to replace the urge to smoke.  Make up nutritional imbalances to, so you reduce all urges for unhealthy habits.  Sometimes when you go cold turkey from drugs you get things like seizures, in those cases, I recommend going down gradually.

Ummm last time I checked coming off nicotine does not cause seizures,  I am not coming of alcohol or benzos here

18 hours now

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2008, 11:21:31 AM »
good for you, jman.

you'll know you've conquered it when you don't know exactly how long it is since you've had a cig.  ;)

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2008, 11:22:37 AM »

Ummm last time I checked coming off nicotine does not cause seizures,  I am not coming of alcohol or benzos here

18 hours now

I guess maybe a really handicapped person may have problems like that, but I don't think you are.

I just telling you how I do it, I had a habit to and I broke it.  I went a step further also, I don't eat any junkfood at all.
famous piligram John Alden is my direct descendent. physically fit!, wanna hit me yet?, warnning, you may have to acutually walk first! Persuasive creates his own luck has ability & drive to succeed   drink "Diet Dr. Maina" :) "62" orgasms at 1 time Fuck you faggot ass! not wishing Metabolic profile ( insulin metabolism etc) is almost perfect with no psychic meds, so go fuck yourself! semiautonomic controll over tear glands ambedexterous

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2008, 11:24:30 AM »
oh do shut up, knobhead.

::)

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2008, 11:28:28 AM »
oh do shut up, knobhead.

::)

You asking for me to talk about sex now? :laugh:

ozymandias

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2008, 11:30:30 AM »
Thank you for those that have been supportive It's now been 15 hours and I am still hanging in there

Your lungs and heart will thank you!!   8)  Not to mention the money, you'll be able to spend in more pleasurable ways!!  (and I'm thinking food, nice clothes, gas for the car to go to whatever you want to see. etc.)

Good luck!!

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2008, 11:31:02 AM »
Might led to more sex :laugh: :wanker: