Author Topic: How to Opt Into Pranks--The Please Prank Me List  (Read 19091 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: How to Opt Into Pranks--The Please Prank Me List
« Reply #90 on: October 31, 2007, 05:49:53 AM »
But the fact remains unless we make it a rule that admins cannot prank people there's very little point to having an anti-prank list in the first place.
Because the only way to enforce it is by making those who disagree about the nature of the pranks (and have admin access to carry them out in the first place) feel completely disapproved of by the more vocal members which by its very nature could be considered a form of bullying too.

i think respecting an anti-prank list must be a voluntary thing. i don't see what the problem is with respecting the wishes of those members that don't want their nicks or avatars (etc) changed, however, i really don't, but i also know it can't be enforced.

i think Dunc introduced this line of thought, btw, when he suggested the anti-prank list. this was in the caretaker's forum so most people haven't read it. (and no, i don't think he wanted a moderated intensity, either.)

as for the rest of your post, i think i've addressed your points, some more than once. i don't agree with your double standards accusations--in fact, i take exception to it--but i don't see how i can make you see my views. i've already tried, and failed, apparently.

however:

from several of the comments above, then, are people suggesting that I2 is only for the young, now?

as a card-carrying "grumpy old woman", i take great exception to that sort of shite.

Who said it was only for the young or not for grumpy old codgers of either sex?  Lets not start playing the age card shite here.

it's a matter of perception.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2007, 05:55:12 AM »
i think it's totally moo to even talk about this crap unless you want to bring in rules. since it's all up to the would-be pranksters what they decide to do and whose objections to pranking they respect, why argue about it at all? why not just let people make up their own minds whether to prank and whether to grow some skin?

i don't wish to prank people who object to it, but if Pea does, i don't have a problem with it. there are no rules against it so judging Pea for what he does is just that, judging. and that's just a futile exercise. that's just IMO.

i think the anti-prank list and pro-prank list have purpose if people want them. i agree with Pea that it takes out the element of surprise, though, but that's up to people to decide if they want to be surprised or not. it doesn't mean you won't get pranked if you don't put your name on the pro list. :P
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #92 on: October 31, 2007, 05:58:57 AM »
Quote from: Purposeful Insanity
But the fact remains unless we make it a rule that admins cannot prank people there's very little point to having an anti-prank list in the first place.
Because the only way to enforce it is by making those who disagree about the nature of the pranks (and have admin access to carry them out in the first place) feel completely disapproved of by the more vocal members which by its very nature could be considered a form of bullying too.    

Is the main issue that the pranks are a form of bullying or is that people don't like having their avatar,etc messed with?  Because its quite easy to start using emotive terms like bullying to force an issue home, when really what people object to is just the fact they don't like having their avatar changed (and I'm not saying that isn't a valid opinion/concern).

How is it not bullying for an administrator to abuse his abilities as administrator to repeatedly prank someone who has asked him to stop to the point that there are several people who are intimidated into not speaking out against it for fear of painting a big red target on their backs, but bullying for someone to speak out against an administrator abusing his admin status in that way, and if they do, dismissing their concerns with comments like, "grow some skin" or "leave Intensity if you can't handle it," Purposeful Insanity?

Because it seems to me that we are setting up a system where we are setting the administrator and his personal wishes above the rights of the members of the community that he is supposed to be serving.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #93 on: October 31, 2007, 06:03:43 AM »
Quote from: Purposeful Insanity

Is the main issue that the pranks are a form of bullying or is that people don't like having their avatar,etc messed with?  Because its quite easy to start using emotive terms like bullying to force an issue home, when really what people object to is just the fact they don't like having their avatar changed (and I'm not saying that isn't a valid opinion/concern).

How is it not bullying for an administrator to abuse his abilities as administrator to repeatedly prank someone who has asked him to stop to the point that there are several people who are intimidated into not speaking out against it for fear of painting a big red target on their backs, but bullying for someone to speak out against an administrator abusing his admin status in that way, and if they do, dismissing their concerns with comments like, "grow some skin" or "leave Intensity if you can't handle it," Purposeful Insanity?

Because it seems to me that we are setting up a system where we are setting the administrator and his personal wishes above the rights of the members of the community that he is supposed to be serving.

Perhaps both are a form of bullying in some cases- especially when you consider that the admin in question was voted in (with a pretty high number of votes) after being clear that he was going to prank people.  The point is do we start saying what forms of bullying are acceptable or not?

The_P

« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2007, 06:05:19 AM »
Seeing as I haven't deleted people's accounts or prohibited their rights to voice their opinion, you're just posting more lengthy bullshit regarding my "dictatorship", Empress.

And I was honest about pranking people throughout the election. Now, praise my sincerity.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 06:07:03 AM by King Oberon of Ass »

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2007, 06:06:49 AM »
as for the rest of your post, i think i've addressed your points, some more than once. i don't agree with your double standards accusations--in fact, i take exception to it--but i don't see how i can make you see my views. i've already tried, and failed, apparently.

So you don't agree that its a double standard to say that its bullying to call people names for saying they don't like the pranks, but its debating if you call people names if they disagree on any other issue?

however:

from several of the comments above, then, are people suggesting that I2 is only for the young, now?

as a card-carrying "grumpy old woman", i take great exception to that sort of shite.

Who said it was only for the young or not for grumpy old codgers of either sex?  Lets not start playing the age card shite here.

it's a matter of perception.
[/quote]

Funny how the matter of perception argument only applies in some cases.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 06:08:31 AM by Fuck my ass, fairy!! »

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2007, 06:13:20 AM »
Seeing as I haven't deleted people's accounts or prohibited their rights to voice their opinion, you're just posting more lengthy bullshit regarding my "dictatorship", Empress.

And I was honest about pranking people throughout the election. Now, praise my sincerity.

::praises the King::

your Kingship is very sincere and awesome. :clap: :clap: :clap:

*bowcurtsies*
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

The_P

« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2007, 06:28:46 AM »
By the time it's next week, Callaway, I'll be absent and then you'll wonder why the fuck you have been whining over so much drama in the first place.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 06:35:02 AM by King Oberon of Ass »

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2007, 06:30:14 AM »

You have prohibited their rights to voice their opinions by repeatedly pranking people who have asked you to stop, Peaguy.

And you never said that you were going to refuse to respect the rights of people who asked you to stop pranking them while you were running for administrator.

Pranking someone once for a joke is one thing, but continuing to abuse your abilities as administrator to prank them repeatedly after they have asked you to stop or even gone to the lengths to put their names on a "don't prank me" list is another.  One is high spirited fun while the other one is bullying, IMO.

The_P

« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2007, 06:32:09 AM »
The more you complain, the more I'll do it. :P

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2007, 06:35:12 AM »

That's exactly my point, Peaguy.

That has the effect of making people afraid to speak out against an administrator doing it, doesn't it?

The_P

« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2007, 06:36:32 AM »

That has the effect of making people afraid to speak out against an administrator doing it, doesn't it?

Now you're being a drama queen.

You bore me. Post something that is worth my attention next time.  :yawn:

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2007, 06:37:58 AM »
I'll be absent and then you'll wonder why the fuck you have been whining over so much drama in the first place.

the naysayers will miss you, King Oberon, even if they don't admit it. we your loyal serviettes of ass will tell tall tales of your Kingship in your absence, we will whisper your name at campfires and nail posters of your hole-y-ness to trees surrounding your Kingdom. :moon:
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2007, 06:39:52 AM »

Thanks for the silly dance, Peaguy.

I was afraid that it was going to be a striptease.

:laugh:

The_P

« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2007, 06:41:41 AM »

Thanks for the silly dance, Peaguy.

I was afraid that it was going to be a striptease.

:laugh:

It's a good thing that I'm respecting your rights as an individual, then.