Educational

Author Topic: What did you eat today?  (Read 97902 times)

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: What did you eat today?
« Reply #3270 on: September 12, 2010, 08:14:10 PM »
so far all I had today was:

Cereal
Banana
Gushers
Wheat crackers
Celery
Baby carrots
Olives
Cucumber slices
Cheese
Nectarine slices

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #3271 on: September 12, 2010, 08:29:55 PM »
OK, here we go, Weakling ...

I started a big fire when I came from work today. I had some frozen meats that had been in the freezer longer than I like to keep meats frozen -  chicken (white and dark both), beef patties, Polish sausage, pork roast and a turkey breast. I have the feeling that if I slow smoke them, even if I re-freeze them, the meat will be infinitely more palatable the next time I discover it.

I spent about five hours smoking the meat with cherrywood and, with my wife's help, made a meal of some of the chicken thighs.  She roasted some baby potatoes (spicy - YUM!!) in the oven and steamed the last of our fresh broccoli.

I have sampled every bit of what I was smoking and there is not a single "throw-back"  in the lot!!

It seems a bit nutty to do this since anyone would prefer fresh meat to "leftover,"  but when you have young kids to feed - on a moment's notice sometimes - busy weekly schedules - nightmarish amounts of homework at times - a preference to minimize the horror of daily cooking chores without going to a "fastfat restaurant"  -  it makes a bit more sense to have good meat handy to grab out of the freezer.

It still amounts to a compromise of the ultimate, but it is at least a compromise that I can live with more easily when compared to a "McDo-NOT" burger.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3272 on: September 13, 2010, 08:26:03 AM »
DirtDawg, you've got the routine down pat.  Nothing wrong with pre-cooking meals.  It's saved many a mother's mind.  While I like barbeque/smoked meat it's unfortunate that sometimes it upsets my tummy, but I eat it anyway.  Sounds like you're eating fine.

I enjoy reading historical (non-romance) novels and after reading tons of them I realize that fast food has been around for ages.  People who lived in cities often didn't have a way to cook in their rooms, so they would buy each meal from the pie man, baker, oysterman, etc.  I will agree that buying oysters (considered to be poor man's food in London) or a loaf of warm bread, some fresh cheese and beer beats a Quarter Pounder hands down. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #3273 on: September 13, 2010, 08:47:19 AM »
DirtDawg, you've got the routine down pat.  Nothing wrong with pre-cooking meals.  It's saved many a mother's mind.  While I like barbeque/smoked meat it's unfortunate that sometimes it upsets my tummy, but I eat it anyway.  Sounds like you're eating fine.

I enjoy reading historical (non-romance) novels and after reading tons of them I realize that fast food has been around for ages.  People who lived in cities often didn't have a way to cook in their rooms, so they would buy each meal from the pie man, baker, oysterman, etc.  I will agree that buying oysters (considered to be poor man's food in London) or a loaf of warm bread, some fresh cheese and beer beats a Quarter Pounder hands down. 

Warm bread and fresh cheese...  :drool:

I would replace the beer with apple cider, but that's just me.  :laugh:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #3274 on: September 13, 2010, 10:37:14 AM »

This probably was a very light beer. Think of times with no fridges and no safe water from taps. A weak beer contained enough alcohol to be able to keep for a while, and little enough to keep everyone functioning, even when the main drink was beer.
It was served to little children in orphanages too.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #3275 on: September 13, 2010, 10:39:19 AM »

This probably was a very light beer. Think of times with no fridges and no safe water from taps. A weak beer contained enough alcohol to be able to keep for a while, and little enough to keep everyone functioning, even when the main drink was beer.
It was served to little children in orphanages too.

I did not know that!  :orly:

People forget.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3276 on: September 13, 2010, 11:23:23 AM »
One sausage patty, a slice of bacon, one slice of toast, small bowl of grits, some hash browns, one scrambled egg and a chocolate chip pancake with a smidgen of butter and pancake syrup.  The Princess Royal and I split a breakfast at our favorite diner.   

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3277 on: September 13, 2010, 01:01:37 PM »
Just a bowl of cereal so far. Might go out and get someting else later.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #3278 on: September 13, 2010, 01:11:38 PM »
Whirled pea soup, with garlic, and fresh sage, thyme and parsley straight from the garden.

We had a quicky today.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3279 on: September 13, 2010, 02:01:28 PM »
Whirled pea soup, with garlic, and fresh sage, thyme and parsley straight from the garden.

We had a quicky today.

Lady Hykeaswell, would you care to re-phrase your second sentence?  I fear you may give the gentlemen on this site the wrong impression.  In any case they would be too late for the quicky.

richard

« Reply #3280 on: September 13, 2010, 02:17:08 PM »
i havent eaten yet. i'll probably eat some pizza though

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #3281 on: September 13, 2010, 02:30:52 PM »

We had a quicky today.

Lady Hykeaswell, would you care to re-phrase your second sentence?  I fear you may give the gentlemen on this site the wrong impression.  In any case they would be too late for the quicky.
I'm sorry your Majesty. I whipped up a quick meal. And I have to apologise for forgetting to mention the most lustful part of the meal. For dessert we had some lemon sorbet ice, with a dollop of whipped cream.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3282 on: September 13, 2010, 03:38:40 PM »
Reindeer stew. Did it myself and fed the family, and it was yummy considering that I'm a useless cook.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3283 on: September 13, 2010, 04:08:19 PM »

We had a quicky today.

I'm sorry your Majesty. I whipped up a quick meal. And I have to apologise for forgetting to mention the most lustful part of the meal. For dessert we had some lemon sorbet ice, with a dollop of whipped cream.

I'm considering recalling you from the Low Countries to oversee the Royal Kitchens, with Odeon to assist.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #3284 on: September 14, 2010, 08:56:30 AM »
Reindeer stew. Did it myself and fed the family, and it was yummy considering that I'm a useless cook.

Obviously you have discovered a specialty! One or two great dishes are all you need really.  :viking:

People forget.