Educational

Author Topic: What did you eat today?  (Read 97908 times)

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: What did you eat today?
« Reply #7005 on: September 20, 2020, 04:54:45 PM »
I much prefer baked beans without added sugar. But they do need salt.

Not just because they are healthier. Mainly because they taste much better.

Same with tomato ketchup (we call it tomato sauce in Straya). Much better without added sugar.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7006 on: September 20, 2020, 05:25:35 PM »
I much prefer baked beans without added sugar. But they do need salt.

Not just because they are healthier. Mainly because they taste much better.

Same with tomato ketchup (we call it tomato sauce in Straya). Much better without added sugar.

I like a bit of sugar in my ketchup. but agave does the trick. I avoid "sugar-free" like the plague, normally, cos that's just code for "full of weird , sweet-tasting chemicals, mostly derived from corn, and guaranteed to screw with your metabolism"   I also like salt, but am perfectly fine with salt being left out.  I have a great big grinder full of sea salt, afrer all. and a couple of spare salt grinders  in case i mislay the main one ( i have a couple of spares of  absolutely everything that's small enough to store a couple of spares for...see notes on poor visual memory in the other thread  :laugh: )

Actually ready-ground  table salt is yet another  of those things that contains hidden corn. They throw in some constarch to make it flow more freely, would you believe? same with many varieties of sugar  :grrr: It's clearly part of a conspiracy to get shot of all we sensitive types, by means  slow, insidious, inescapable toxins.  :tinfoil:

Oh! and same withready-ground spices. That probably accounts for most of my esrtwhile reactions to spices. I'm cautiously reintroducing them little by little, but, as someone who's exceedingly nervous  of electrical grinders (and has no room in my present-day tiny kitchen for addirional equipment anyway)  , that's  quite a...umm... grind.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 05:44:36 PM by Walkie »

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7007 on: September 21, 2020, 10:45:07 AM »
I feel like I could eat all day and I have no idea why the sudden increase in appetite. For breakfast I had my usual bagel and hot chocolate. Then 2 hours later I had a few slices of turkey bacon. Then an hour after that a bowl of cereal. Meanwhile I down 1500ml of water. For lunch I had leftovers. Chicken, potatoes and green beans in a homemade honey mustard sauce. So good. Tonight will be a simple breakfast for dinner. Eggs, potatoes and bacon.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Dirty Big Yoke

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Gloriously big heap of shite
« Reply #7008 on: September 21, 2020, 11:00:53 AM »
Beef curry with jasmine rice.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7009 on: October 24, 2020, 03:38:50 PM »
My usual b'fast of oatmeal packet (maple brown sugar or apple cinnamon) with dried cranberries or raisins, peanut butter.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #7010 on: October 25, 2020, 11:03:03 AM »
Gressingham Duck.
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7011 on: October 26, 2020, 04:01:00 PM »
The veggie option. Yes, it happens.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7012 on: October 26, 2020, 05:36:07 PM »
It's mid morning and I've had 2 tiny bags of chips. Like about 20 grams each.

In US terminology "french fries" is the same as the British "chips". In US terminology "chips" is the same as the British "crisps".

In Straya we have found a way around all the confusion. We call both of them "chips". If we really need to differentiate we might call french fries "hot chips".

And to make it more confusing, McDonalds retains the US terminology and sells "french fries" but KFC calls them "chips". Life would be much easier if we just called all food "chips".

The ones I had this morning were what Brits would call "crisps".

“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #7013 on: October 26, 2020, 06:02:49 PM »
It's mid morning and I've had 2 tiny bags of chips. Like about 20 grams each.

In US terminology "french fries" is the same as the British "chips". In US terminology "chips" is the same as the British "crisps".

In Straya we have found a way around all the confusion. We call both of them "chips". If we really need to differentiate we might call french fries "hot chips".

And to make it more confusing, McDonalds retains the US terminology and sells "french fries" but KFC calls them "chips". Life would be much easier if we just called all food "chips".

The ones I had this morning were what Brits would call "crisps".

I think I once wrote a poem about this.  :orly:

Fries are chips and chips are crisps. Cookies are biscuits, and even though scones sound really great, they're just biscuits too.  :lol1:
:gopher:

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7014 on: October 26, 2020, 06:12:05 PM »
Scones are still scones here. We have them with jam and cream usually. Not with fried chicken.

Biscuits are often referred to as cookies, too much American TV. But old people still usually refer to them as biscuits. The two words are mostly interchangeable.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #7015 on: October 26, 2020, 06:18:12 PM »
Scones are still scones here. We have them with jam and cream usually. Not with fried chicken.

People eat them with jelly here too.  :dunno:  Your KFC doesn't sell biscuits?  :orly:
:gopher:

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7016 on: October 27, 2020, 12:33:21 AM »

People eat them with jelly here too.  :dunno:  Your KFC doesn't sell biscuits?  :orly:

No. They do sell little bread rolls, but it isn't the same.

I remember in Indonesia that Popeye's Chicken and Biscuits didn't sell biscuits. Even though it was literally in the name. They sold fried chicken and steamed white rice.

When I lived in Slovenia I had an American sheila from New York, we went to England for a long weekend together and we were in the KFC drive thru. While we were ordering she asked for biscuits and I had to turn to her and whisper "they don't have biscuits at KFC in England". So she said "What the fuck? Okay, I'll just have potato and gravy". Me: "they don't have potato and gravy either". Her: "Seriously? What the fuck do they have then?". Me: "Baked beans".

At least in Straya we have potato and gravy.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7017 on: October 28, 2020, 01:32:26 AM »
Damn. I want crisps now.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #7018 on: October 28, 2020, 03:36:41 AM »
It's Freezer Surprise for lunch.  (Payday is tomorrow)
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7019 on: October 28, 2020, 11:51:34 PM »
Cereal for breakfast and hotdog for lunch. We order online and somehow Kayleigh ordered one hotdog sausage instead of multiple. So I claimed it.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae