Educational

Author Topic: What did you eat today?  (Read 97942 times)

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: What did you eat today?
« Reply #6720 on: January 12, 2020, 06:36:04 PM »
Well, in my mind the British kitchen is nonexistent.

I lived in the UK for a couple of years. Good food in the UK tends to be difficult to find sometimes. There is the full English breakfast. Some places barely bother having anything else on the menu, they just serve full English breakfasts morning, noon and night.

There is also fish and chips. I used to buy the most awesome fish and chips from a place in Essex, along the Thames estuary. It was one of my favourite places to eat on all my travels, the place was always humming with customers, and they'd have 6 or 8 people cooking and serving in a small shop. And you can just go in and order a serve of chips and a cup of curry gravy, which comes with a tiny wooden fork to pick up the chips and dip them in the gravy with. That is soooo good.

I remember going to Cornwall, having eaten excellent Cornish pasties growing up and expecting more of the same in Cornwall. And then you get there and the people running the little cafes and restaurants are mostly semi-retired and from places like Yorkshire. So finding a Cornish pastie that hadn't come from a factory and wasn't better suited to being used as a doorstop than as a meal, was difficult. That said, the clotted cream ice cream in Cornwall is awesome and buying a "hedgehog" ice cream in a cone is great.

Speaking of clotted cream, fresh scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam and tea is great. I went to Harrods (in London) with a friend and that's all we could afford to eat at the cafe there. The food hall at Harrods is amazing, although the prices are outrageous. 

Indian food is enormously popular in the UK for good reason. I remember going to a dead bodies exhibition and we passed by a street where I counted at least 38 Indian restaurants. We went back to grab a meal afterwards and almost all of the restaurants were packed.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #6721 on: January 13, 2020, 01:51:22 AM »
I didn't eat this.

Maybe tomorrow.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6722 on: January 13, 2020, 11:40:20 AM »
Breakfast was the usual. Lunch is leftover gnocchi. Dinner will probably be baked chicken thighs, sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6723 on: January 14, 2020, 10:39:00 AM »
Buttered toast, scrambled eggs with jalapeno cheese.  May have an orange in a bit.

A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6724 on: January 17, 2020, 11:55:33 AM »
Seekh Kebab. Yummy. :drool:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #6725 on: January 17, 2020, 11:44:54 PM »
I didn't eat this.

Maybe tomorrow.

I know that when they pickle peppery things those hot things lose a lot of the power of heat. I have had many "hot sauces" supposed to be almost lethal which were very hot, but next to nothing or almost nothing when compared to the fresh "still live" product.

Anyway, if we are sitting down to have a "pepper off" type of eat a bunch of hot things contest, then we will use fresh off the stalk peppers or it is a nonsense contest. Anything out of a jar is bullshit, as you probably already know.
If you have no way to freeze then canning is the best way to store over time.

But, I still want to try this Aussie idea of "Shit The Bed" sauce.
Sounds fabulous!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 12:44:32 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6726 on: January 17, 2020, 11:53:04 PM »

Today, I bowed out. I did not cook.
Instead I went to the local best BBQ in town and bought four pounds of pork and beef BBQ (two pounds each), all the sides available, mac-n-cheese, cole slaw, green beans, ranch beans, Spanish rice and some fancy buns.

Enough food for several days for our household.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6727 on: January 26, 2020, 08:51:30 AM »
About to tuck into some yeast doughnuts that I dip in my coffee.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6728 on: January 28, 2020, 10:50:25 AM »
Peanut butter on toast.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6729 on: January 28, 2020, 02:33:41 PM »
A really nice steak.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6730 on: January 29, 2020, 08:40:00 AM »
Enchiladas. My favourite. Even better is that there are leftovers for tomorrow. :)
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6731 on: January 29, 2020, 12:01:29 PM »
Enchiladas are absolutely wonderful.

This time of year there are still fresh tamales available, locally. I often combine ideas and make tamales smothered in chili and cheese. I call them "enchilales."
If I use tacos to make this, I call them "enchilacos."
 :2thumbsup:

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #6732 on: January 29, 2020, 05:19:54 PM »
Ate my lunch early. A big slice of bacon cheeseburger quiche that I made last night. Washed down with some coffee with unsweetened cashew milk.

Cashew milk is my new favourite milk.

Who needs carbs?

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6733 on: January 30, 2020, 06:09:42 PM »
My wife has been on a big fish kick, lately. Monday we had a (more than we could eat) grilled salmon fillet and today she took some fabulous Atlantic cod and made fish tacos, with rice and fixin's.

I am not complaining.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6734 on: February 01, 2020, 02:25:27 PM »
Now that the weather has turned a bit warmer (just above freezing, to hell with the drizzle) I bought two large hams yesterday (on sale, of course) and I intend to start one tomorrow morning for a low and slow smoking event on my back deck. Instead of a bunch of other crap to be presented by my wife doing all the work for Super Bowl Sunday, I told her to just bring home a veggie, fruit and cheese plate assortment big enough for a twelve pound ham.

Of course, she balked and told me that a plate that size would be ridiculous. I agreed and told her to focus on cheese and crackers. The ham is set.

So after a few hours of slow smoking our ham will do its duty and we will have "many" leftovers for the coming week.

I have visions of mashed potatoes with gravy and bacon, onion, mushroom and green bean casseroles and plum fairies flying around in my head when I think of the possibilities.