Author Topic: What did you eat today?  (Read 111930 times)

TheoK

Re: What did you eat today?
« Reply #5115 on: July 19, 2012, 09:25:20 AM »
Duos panes fartus cum ovibus piscis  8)

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #5116 on: July 19, 2012, 04:01:57 PM »
You: 'Yay, a photograph of a bowl of soup'.. 'brilliantly fascinating, lutra'.. Me:  :green:

Well, I made 'me'self some cauliflower soup today. I'm not that fond of cauliflowers (let's say, as a veg on my plate) but thought.. what the heck.. Well, it's nice.

One of my all time favourite soups.  :thumbup:

My kids are not that fond of it though, but, they do love the related broccoli soup. Had that yesterday, with focaccia (not home made, that focaccia, and the broth for the soup was from a cube)
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

TheoK

« Reply #5117 on: July 20, 2012, 12:41:24 PM »
Pullum  :devour:

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #5118 on: July 20, 2012, 12:52:43 PM »
^
^ Well, haven't made my mind up yet but I think I like broccoli soup a tadski better also. Eat, sowieso, broccoli way more often than it's white brother.

Have you ever tried 'courgette'/zucchini soup? Same procedure basically and ja, nice too.
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

TheoK

« Reply #5119 on: July 20, 2012, 12:54:32 PM »
No, but I had chanterelle and champignon soup at the café the other day - yummy!  :viking:

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #5120 on: July 20, 2012, 01:17:46 PM »
Ah. Sorry, Lit.. question was for Hykey there.

But ja, those can be really delicious soups too. For sure. Never made them myself. Should give it a go.. in let's say, Autumn.. with fresh ones.

TheoK

« Reply #5121 on: July 20, 2012, 01:19:41 PM »
I just wish that I could have the brunette waitress for desert :booty:

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #5122 on: July 20, 2012, 01:43:59 PM »
Well, you've got my blessings.

I, alas in that sense, rarely eat out. Well, hitting on waitresses, or girls behind bars e.g., is tough/not that easy. Wish I was more brave once though. Pooh, Nieske, girl behind the bar at café 'Marktzicht' in Amersfoort. Oinky doinky, Aphrodite wasn't even in her league, I reckon.

Okay, I'm jabbering again..

TheoK

« Reply #5123 on: July 20, 2012, 01:46:47 PM »
She studies humanities in Stockholm. Perhaps languages. I have probably at least one month on me, before she leaves town  :viking:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #5124 on: July 20, 2012, 04:33:29 PM »
I've blended all kinds of vegetables to make soup. Courgette soup is good too, indeed. Not the favourite of my girls though.
My youngest loves dopertjes soep yet, hates snert.  :laugh:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Bastet

• Psychotic Mentally Deficient Deranged Bitch
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #5125 on: July 20, 2012, 04:35:09 PM »
Way too much! :( I am disgusted with myself.
:kitten: OBSESSIVE AILUROPHILE :kitten:

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #5126 on: July 23, 2012, 10:56:07 AM »
Dinner at lutra's this evening. Homemade (Fr.) onion soup.. with two slices of baguette and gruyère cheese. Føcking delicious, I tell ya.

TheoK

« Reply #5127 on: July 23, 2012, 11:08:31 AM »
Ad cena: panem fartum cum thunnum et theam Darjeelingensem  8)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5128 on: July 23, 2012, 04:46:16 PM »
Bacon, egg and cheese biscuit; Quarter Pounder meal - both from McDonalds
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #5129 on: July 24, 2012, 06:27:52 PM »
Hmm...that reminds me of all the dried mushrooms in the cupboard that need putting to good use. Got tons of dried chanterelles and cep (Boletus edulis), and some peppery boletes and fly agarics. I find the fly agarics, once they have been properly heat-cured thoroughly to make sure the ibotenic acid content (nasty neurotoxic stuff) is decarboxylated to muscimol, it works great for bringing out umami type flavours in meat dishes. Made a fantastic chickpea, kidney bean, steak mince and pasta chilli with them recently. Recycled the leftover chilli as cheesy enchiladas.

As soon as I find somewhere that stocks dried morels, I reckon I'm going to have to do another, only this time with braising steak rather than mince, as good as the mince version was.

Chilli ala Lestat:

Half a kilo of lean steak mince, or better yet, stewing/braising steak.
Two cans each of chickpeas, kidney beans and chilli beans.

Spices:

2-3 bay leaves
Some tabasco sauce, the extra-hot habanero version
2-3 smoked chipotle chillies, dried, 2 birds eye chillies, fresh, three if you have a mouth lined with asbestos.  (watch it with these things, prepare them using gloves, I gut them with a surgical scalpel to remove the seeds, bite one of those things and you will know about it alright :D)

Mushrooms-here is what really makes a good chilli in my opinion.
Good handful each of dried cep, black morels (Morchella elata), tablespoon of finely ground fly agaric (these MUST be heat-cured overnight, using the lowest flame one's oven can manage, door open a little to allow them to dry properly, dry on a baking tin lined with foil, when cracker dry, store in a plastic tub, they will keep for years)

3/4 tablespoon of finely ground peppery bolete (Chalciporus piperatus...helpfully, these usually grow right alongside fly agarics whenever I find them, at least, when the latter grows under silver birch, although they do not share the affinity for pine that fly agaric does.
A good tub or two of shiitake, fried in butter at the last minute, same with oyster mushrooms to serve, don't cook all the oysters though, cook as needed, they do not keep long. Rehydrate the ceps, morels and chipotle chillies, toss them in when the chilli is nearly done, cooking the ceps especially, for too long will ruin the delicate mushroomy flavour.

1 tsp each of onion and garlic powder.
half to 3/4 of a medium onion, chopped pretty fine.
A big slug of 'devil's brown sauce', or if its not available locally, 'daddie's sauce', or HP sauce)
A tablespoon of worcestershire sauce.
A teaspoon of HOT chilli powder.

Brown the steak or lean steak mince, fry with the onion, then Its pretty much a case of add some water, including the water used to rehydrate the mushrooms and chillies, add the sauces and spices, chickpeas and kidney beans after draining them and washing them, toss it all in together in a big casserole pan, stew it all up for about 3/4 hour or so, add the mushrooms all at the last minute, fry up the shiitake and oysters with some salted butter, boil some pasta about ten minutes before serving in salt water, drain, wash pasta, and stir it all up, taking the bay leaf and those birds eye chillies out. Leaving those in could make for a nasty surprise if one bites into one! they are fucking lethal little buggers.

Need to get some more morels, used the last of them in said chilli.

Interesting factlet about chillies-despite the name 'birds eye', birds actually cannot taste chillies, they lack the transient receptor potential-vanilloid type I receptor that is required to bind capsaicin. Without TRPV1r, capsaicin is inactive. Gah...I would SO hate to be a bird :P

Serve in enchilada wraps, topped off with grated emmental/mozzarella, I quite like a mix of about 70/30 % of the two, respectively. And of course, ice cold beer.  Perhaps a nice big shot of russian standard or grey goose to start and end the meal, served after pre-chilling for a short time in the freezer.

Close to serving time, add the juice of one lime, and a TINY bit of brown sugar, not much, just enough to offset the sourness imparted by the lime.

Save the zest, and use to cover a big bowl of cubed cantaloupe and watermelon, more lime juice, and a good sprinkle of brown sugar. Maybe some mint and dark chocolate chip icecream to go with it.

What am I eating now?

Just had 3/4 of a cold roast chicken, slathered in tabasco habanero sauce, and a couple of big glasses of malibu and cherry coke. Well...more like malibu, colored a bit with cherry coke :D And a jug of maeng da thai kratom.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.