Author Topic: 30 years for stealing a doughnut  (Read 3245 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
30 years for stealing a doughnut
« on: October 09, 2007, 04:45:53 AM »
FARMINGTON, Mo. - It's a hefty price for a pastry: A man accused of stealing a 52-cent doughnut could face time in jail.

Authorities said Scott A. Masters, 41, slipped the doughnut into his sweat shirt without paying, then pushed away a clerk who tried to stop him as he fled the store.

The push is being treated as minor assault, which transforms a misdemeanor shoplifting charge to a strong-armed robbery with a potential prison term of five to 15 years. Because he has a criminal history, prosecutors say they could seek 30 years.

What is it with the US?
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
Re: 30 years for stealing a doughnut
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 04:48:29 AM »
Hey man, donut shops are 'specially
protected here. That's like killing
a cop.

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 05:38:55 AM »
Er... that's a bit extreme.  Just a bit.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 05:53:02 AM »
Well about half of us are completely out of their minds ::)
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 06:43:07 AM »
They might do the same in Wigan though if someone stole a pie.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 03:19:14 PM »
They have stupid mandatory minimum sentencing in many areas and three strike laws that take any sort of sense out of what the judges can do or even take into consideration.  They are in response to all the people who should have been put away for life but got out on parole. Now people like this pay the price.

George Bernard Shaw

Teejay

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 06:20:46 AM »
FARMINGTON, Mo. - It's a hefty price for a pastry: A man accused of stealing a 52-cent doughnut could face time in jail.

Authorities said Scott A. Masters, 41, slipped the doughnut into his sweat shirt without paying, then pushed away a clerk who tried to stop him as he fled the store.

The push is being treated as minor assault, which transforms a misdemeanor shoplifting charge to a strong-armed robbery with a potential prison term of five to 15 years. Because he has a criminal history, prosecutors say they could seek 30 years.

What is it with the US?

In America a lot of states have introduced three strikes laws, which this guy must have been sentenced under. Three strikes and you know the criminal is sufficiently harden enough to deserve being locked away for a long time. Along with the building of lots of new prisons, the USA has seen it's crime rate plunge to levels not seen since the 1970's. In Australia and Britain crime is at record levels, mainly because we aren't putting enough police on the streets, not building enough prisons and sentencing repeat offenders to very long sentences.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 06:22:57 AM by אהיה אשר אהיה »

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 07:32:50 AM »

What is it with the US?

In America a lot of states have introduced three strikes laws, which this guy must have been sentenced under. Three strikes and you know the criminal is sufficiently harden enough to deserve being locked away for a long time. Along with the building of lots of new prisons, the USA has seen it's crime rate plunge to levels not seen since the 1970's. In Australia and Britain crime is at record levels, mainly because we aren't putting enough police on the streets, not building enough prisons and sentencing repeat offenders to very long sentences.

Does that mean you support a man potentially getting sentenced for 30 years for stealing a donut?  :o  Wouldn't it just be easier to cut off one of his hands? That would teach him, hey?

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 07:59:56 AM »

What is it with the US?

Do you not see something disturbing in the US having the highest number of prisoners per capita in the entire world, while still having the 8th highest crime rate?  The US prison population per capita is 6-8 times as great as most other developed countries, and outstrips even the worst shitholes by a large margin, yet having such a vast number of people in prison seems to have done little for the crime rate.

This article provides an analysis of the crime industry in the US.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Teejay

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 08:00:18 AM »

Does that mean you support a man potentially getting sentenced for 30 years for stealing a donut?  :o  Wouldn't it just be easier to cut off one of his hands? That would teach him, hey?

It was noted the man had a prior criminal record, quite possibly he had been in jail before. No doubly he was a repeat criminal.

Teejay

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 08:03:54 AM »

Do you not see something disturbing in the US having the highest number of prisoners per capita in the entire world, while still having the 8th highest crime rate?  The US prison population per capita is 6-8 times as great as most other developed countries, and outstrips even the worst shitholes by a large margin, yet having such a vast number of people in prison seems to have done little for the crime rate.

Look at the nations with a higher crime rate than the US; Namely the United Kingdom, Finland and Denmark. In the United States you have a lot of Blacks, Hispanics and Rednecks who are much more likely to commit crimes than everybody else.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 08:41:45 AM »

Look at the nations with a higher crime rate than the US; Namely the United Kingdom, Finland and Denmark. In the United States you have a lot of Blacks, Hispanics and Rednecks who are much more likely to commit crimes than everybody else.
Blacks, Hispanics and Rednecks who are much more likely to commit crimes than everybody else.

??? ??? :grrr: ??? ???

George Bernard Shaw

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 10:05:59 AM »

It was noted the man had a prior criminal record, quite possibly he had been in jail before. No doubly he was a repeat criminal.

So that must mean he deserves locking up for 30 years for stealing a donut then?  You're right, he sounds like a highly dangerous master criminal.  ::)

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 04:55:01 PM »
He's lucky he wasn't shot.

Offline The Racist Rapist

• Frequent Poster
  • Putting the FU back in fuck
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007, 05:18:15 PM »
I'd like some details on his previous criminal record before I can fully judge. Maybe he was slippery and it was their chance to get him.
I'm never offensive.