Educational

Author Topic: A1(M)  (Read 1427 times)

Offline RobertN

• The Almighty Comrade
  • Intense Poster
A1(M)
« on: June 11, 2006, 12:26:41 PM »
Have any of you ever stopped to think about the incredible splender of this great road.

Stretching all the way from central London to central Glasgow. Over 500 miles long!!

Basically it began life as the A1, the first dual carriageway in Great Britain. But after a while they decided to upgrade it to a motorway. There was one problem. There was already a motorway called the M1, so they couldn't re-designate it. So instead, they just slapped an (M) onto the end of its current designation, and there you have light, comrades!! Problem solved!! ;D

The thing is this road passes very near to Cambridge, and I have often thought about its presence recently. If I wanted to pop up to Glasgow (for a sexual session and to get my dick chopped off afterwards), all I need do is get onto this road and simple - 8 hours after leaving Cambridge I will be in HG's bed!! ;)

Offline Praetor

• Constant Poster
Re: A1(M)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 12:48:24 PM »
Yonge Street in Ontario Canada is far more impressive

1,178 miles long starting from the lakefront of downtown Toronto to the borders of Minnesota

Thats impressive

I'll be driving on the A1 tomorrow, its a nice road to drive up shame about the roundabouts in the way (especially just before doncaster god they knock the speed down)

Offline Praetor

• Constant Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 12:51:51 PM »
And the best way to get from glasgow on the A1 is to get off at the scotch corner junction. Cross over the northern yorkshire dales and County Durham through the A66 route to Penrith then get on the M6 straight up to Glasgow. PROVEN and TRIED and by Praetor (well his mum when he was a wee lad) to take less time then straight up the A1

And unlike you in Cambridge At Letchworth Garden City. My HOME is next door to the A1 and I walk my dog next to it sometimes

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 01:15:49 PM »
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................

do either of you possess an anorak, by any chance?

Offline Merry Widow

• Chav Slayer
  • Postwhore
  • Capish!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 01:56:58 PM »
If I wanted to pop up to Glasgow (for a sexual session and to get my dick chopped off afterwards),

i didn't know that you and Peter MacKensie were a couple. i also didn't realise that Peter had such violent tendencies!

okay, anyone who has stereotypical aspie obsessions have now got to hang their heads in shame - because Grotbags thinks it's boring and geeky.  >:(

Offline baby

• Fairy Princess
  • Constant Poster
  • you say naughty like its a bad thing!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 02:01:03 PM »
i've driven on the a1(m) when i went to coventry and can't say i found it any differnt to any other motorway, seeing as i live next to the m25 motorways not really exciting for me

Eamonn

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 02:03:28 PM »

okay, anyone who has stereotypical aspie obsessions have now got to hang their heads in shame - because Grotbags thinks it's boring and geeky.  >:(

Id be careful what i say if i was you. Remember what happened to the last person who opposed Grotbags? I heard he fell off a roof and died.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 02:10:27 PM »
Grotbags!  fabulous!  although i haven't got green hair.  well, not at the moment, anyway.  it could be arranged, though...  8)

Offline RobertN

• The Almighty Comrade
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 02:42:45 PM »
If I wanted to pop up to Glasgow (for a sexual session and to get my dick chopped off afterwards),

i didn't know that you and Peter MacKensie were a couple. i also didn't realise that Peter had such violent tendencies!

Well stranger things have happened, my angel!!! Yes, Peter does has a dick-chopping fetish, but I don't let that get in the way!! :laugh:

Yes, I have always had a fascination for roads and motorways. Been with me since I was a kid. The A45 was my first one. It ran past the village where I lived (up until 3 weeks ago!). In 1996 they renamed it the A428/A14.

Laz, you are correct. I got Glasgow mixed up with Edinburgh, silly me!! That means I am further from HG than I originally thought!! Yes, the A66 across the Yorkshire Dales (I think) is the best route to Glasgow.

duncvis

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2006, 02:52:06 PM »
A66 is mostly across County Durham mate.  ;) I'm a map freak, heh...

Personally, I'm not fond of the A1 - the [M] bits are alright, but the standard of driving has to be the worst in the country - not a good mixture with wall-to-wall lorries and only two lanes. Piss awful.

Offline CuriousPrimate

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2006, 03:00:13 PM »

I've still got my anorak - I spent three summers walking the A roads of Dumfries and Galloway measuring ruts and cracks for the roads department. On a good day we managed to put out 12 miles of continuous cones on the A74.  ;D (Oh, and I have a great collection of bookmarks and wargaming figures thanks to a stereotypical aspie obsession or two!)
An intelligent enemy is better than a stupid friend - Senegalese proverb

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2006, 03:25:24 PM »
anyone want to talk about my collection of stones, rocks and wood?

:P

oh, and fetish shoes.

Offline CuriousPrimate

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2006, 03:38:00 PM »
oh, and fetish shoes.

For some reason I fitted the word fetish here to witchcraft and voodoo rather than the S&M version, soooo much more interesting  ;D
An intelligent enemy is better than a stupid friend - Senegalese proverb

Offline Beowulf

• Frequent Poster
    • Click Here
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2006, 03:38:23 PM »
I saw a short documentary film once about the Westway section of the A40(M) from Paddington to North Kensington (or rather about random people who lived near it). I thought it pretty strange that anyone would make a documentary about such a thing, but it was a good film.

This was around about the same time that I was at university. My dad would often drive me along the A40(M) Westway on the way towards Euston station. I always found the route fascinating in a bleak, urban kind of way. Since then it's been my favourite road. And I'm not usually into roads in a big way. ?;D
"Someday a real rain will come ..."

Offline Beowulf

• Frequent Poster
    • Click Here
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2006, 03:42:40 PM »
Hang on. Is this thread about the A1(M)?

The A1(M) sucks.
"Someday a real rain will come ..."