Author Topic: Post something good that happened today  (Read 94083 times)

P7PSP

Re: Post something good that happened today
« Reply #7695 on: September 30, 2011, 05:28:24 PM »
Located the problem at the cinema--a short in one of the projectors. Old and worn cables that had to be replaced. Took the better part of the evening.
One thing I don't like about working a temp power crew for shut downs is being called to fix wiring on shit trailers owned by rat contractors who don't know how to do shit to industry standard. I have been zapped by 120 lighting ckts more than once when knuckle heads have pinched wires under a piece of lighting chassis where it shouldn't be.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7696 on: October 01, 2011, 03:11:47 AM »
Located the problem at the cinema--a short in one of the projectors. Old and worn cables that had to be replaced. Took the better part of the evening.
One thing I don't like about working a temp power crew for shut downs is being called to fix wiring on shit trailers owned by rat contractors who don't know how to do shit to industry standard. I have been zapped by 120 lighting ckts more than once when knuckle heads have pinched wires under a piece of lighting chassis where it shouldn't be.

I didn't get zapped yesterday but my mate did. He forgot that the covers were off. :zoinks:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

P7PSP

« Reply #7697 on: October 01, 2011, 03:19:30 AM »

I didn't get zapped yesterday but my mate did. He forgot that the covers were off. :zoinks:
Yeah being careful with circuits that may be hot is good. Do you use 220V 50 hz in Sweden?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7698 on: October 01, 2011, 03:23:39 AM »

Yeah being careful with circuits that may be hot is good. Do you use 220V 50 hz in Sweden?

Yes we do, but the projectors use 3-phase and he got his kick from two phases. ;D
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

P7PSP

« Reply #7699 on: October 01, 2011, 03:35:42 AM »
Ouch. I feel for your mate.  :(  :zoinks:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7700 on: October 01, 2011, 03:45:18 AM »
I've done the exact same thing myself and it hurts like fuck.

The cables had 60's plastic insulation. Most of it had dried up and just fell off when touched on while there were parts that were still "sweating" off remaining moisture. The original installer had covered the 3-phase in the kind of shrink tubing that was common then. Bad idea. Had to replace all of it.

- Albert Einstein

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #7701 on: October 01, 2011, 04:09:21 AM »
Not sure if it's a very good thing, cannot judge for duh, I haven't seen much of it yet, but today a new channel about food and cooking was launched and added to 'the channel package' (TV) here. It's called 24kitchen.. and I'm kinda curious.
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

P7PSP

« Reply #7702 on: October 01, 2011, 04:13:27 AM »

The cables had 60's plastic insulation. Most of it had dried up and just fell off when touched on while there were parts that were still "sweating" off remaining moisture. The original installer had covered the 3-phase in the kind of shrink tubing that was common then. Bad idea. Had to replace all of it.
So was the problem harder to chase down because it was intermittent at first?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7703 on: October 01, 2011, 07:11:13 AM »

Yes, plus it was problematic because of very limited access. And the whole wiring looks a mess, regardless of age. The projector is close to 50 years old and some of the wiring was there from the start.

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #7704 on: October 01, 2011, 04:18:44 PM »
Not sure if it's a very good thing, cannot judge for duh, I haven't seen much of it yet, but today a new channel about food and cooking was launched and added to 'the channel package' (TV) here. It's called 24kitchen.. and I'm kinda curious.

:laugh:

I saw a bill-board announcing that channel.
Thought "Lutra" the moment I saw it.  :green:

(Should post this in another thread I guess)
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

eris

« Reply #7705 on: October 01, 2011, 04:56:18 PM »
Hailey came over and we talked for many many hours. And he was very sweet, and understood I was sick and just lay there beside me. Then he made me dinner, which I pretended tasted great :)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7706 on: October 01, 2011, 06:02:14 PM »

Yes, plus it was problematic because of very limited access. And the whole wiring looks a mess, regardless of age. The projector is close to 50 years old and some of the wiring was there from the start.

Oh, does that mean my access is very limited, and my whole wiring looks a mess.  I'm 62 years old and all of my wiring is original. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7707 on: October 02, 2011, 04:07:51 AM »

Oh, does that mean my access is very limited, and my whole wiring looks a mess.  I'm 62 years old and all of my wiring is original.

Not only is your access limited, you also risk future shorts. :orly:

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #7708 on: October 02, 2011, 04:45:43 AM »
I'm alone.

Can't remember how long ago that has been, alone in the evening, alone at night, alone in the morning.

Need to adapt to it, but feels so good.

Had tears in my eyes yesterday evening, because of it.   :asthing:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7709 on: October 02, 2011, 05:08:16 AM »
I'm alone.

Can't remember how long ago that has been, alone in the evening, alone at night, alone in the morning.

Need to adapt to it, but feels so good.

Had tears in my eyes yesterday evening, because of it.   :asthing:

Awww, and being alone is something I take for granted, I'm happy for you.  :hug:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"