Author Topic: Post something good that happened today  (Read 93952 times)

Offline ShyOne

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
Re: Post something good that happened today
« Reply #6810 on: April 12, 2011, 06:10:38 AM »
I got loads of post, and it was good! I got letters from the Department of Work and Pensions apologising for fucking me around and also giving me an extra £100 they owe, and not only that but I got my laptop cooling pad and a katie price exercise DVD! I only bought the DVD to watch Jordan's boobs bouncing around. :autism:
You can have Shleed exercise with you and watch his boobs bounce around!  :2thumbsup:
:orly:...

:puke:

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6811 on: April 12, 2011, 06:19:07 AM »
ROFL
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline PuppetSockPenguin

• Superlurker of the penguin elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • experience is memory is experience is
« Reply #6812 on: April 12, 2011, 06:19:57 AM »
Warning: this post is tl;dr.

Thank you to those people who said that my research topic sounds interesting. :)

Congrats. What's the proposal about?

Thanks.
It's on the topic of authenticity in music; specifically, whether a complete unambiguous notation system would be possible, if so, would it be desirable?

I'd be very interested in further details once you have some.

Well, if you're still interested by the end of May when it's due I can post a link to the entire essay; for now I'll just give a rundown.

The introduction will be the usual stating of topic, rationale, "in this essay I will blah blah blah" and will mention the fact that music notation began as an aide memoire for aurally trained performers and was highly ambiguous, and that it has become progressively less so, but that it still presumes a fair deal of knowledge of expressive conventions.

Next step will be to define “unambiguous”; complete unambiguity seems impossible to me as you'd need to express an infinite number of possibilities, and you'd run out of particles in the universe. Damn limited universe. >__<
So I'll define “unambiguous” within the limits of human perception, which I'll have to look up again with regards to pitch, duration and loudness discrimination.

By this point I've established that it would be possible, so now it's time to move on to the issue of desirability. The complexity of such a system will be a major point against it, and I'll give a few examples of the fact that humans' perceptual abilities tend to far exceed their productive abilities: recognition vs recall, receptive vs expressive vocabulary, active vs passive perfect pitch etc. etc. and so forth. Thus, even if a composer could write using it, that's no guarantee that a performer could realise it. This part would also raise the issue of the huge complexity meaning that pieces would take far longer to learn than they do now.

Some time will be spent on peoples' attitudes toward authenticity, particularly contrasting Romantic with modern attitudes. This will lead to questions of whether there is one “correct” interpretation of a work, and whether a composer always has one fixed ideal of a work in their mind (which generally I don't believe they do; humans are not photocopiers).

Leading on from the too-much-complexity argument, I will argue that, as I said before, humans are not photocopiers, they have they ability to evaluate and interpret, and that thus spoon-feeding performers every. tiny. little. detail. of a piece is wasting the capabilities of the human brain, overtaxing it for the sake of being able to get performances that could be achieved by collaborations between composers and competent performers, and that if you want something that will do exactly as you say, go talk to a computer.

Possibly there will be other points, but I've not yet decided.

The conclusion will draw all the threads together; “in this essay I have blah blah blah” and use the excess-complexity, waste-of-human-abilities, and-besides-composers-don't-always-have-a-fixed-idea-of-their-work/s arguments to argue that an unambiguous notational system would be more trouble than it's worth.

A quote of the synopsis that I sent to my professor:

Throughout its development, the Western system of music notation has become far less ambiguous.   However, modern notation still requires many assumptions to be made regarding factors such as phrasing, exact tempo, bowings and other interpretive details; it also requires knowledge of expressive conventions to produce non-mechanical performances. Is an unambiguous notational system possible; if so, is it desirable? My paper will address the questions of whether authenticity is desirable, whether there can be one “correct” interpretation of a work, and whether a composer’s intentions are always clear: do composers always envision their works in the same way? The main focus of my paper will be to evaluate the desirability of complete unambiguity in music, it will also focus on comparing and contrasting attitudes toward authenticity expressed in the Romantic period to those of today, and on evaluating said attitudes.

Things that happened today that were good: got 77 pages of photocopying done for free, and my composition teacher is going to speak with one of the research staff to find ways for me to get a Ph.D. candidature without having to pay ridiculous amounts of money, which I don't have, for a bridging course.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6813 on: April 12, 2011, 06:35:06 AM »
That sounds very interesting, PSP.

Binty

« Reply #6814 on: April 12, 2011, 09:44:56 AM »
I have mints  :green:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6815 on: April 12, 2011, 10:04:19 AM »
Not today but last night I found a five dollar bill under the seat of my truck while cleaning it along with eight or nine dollars in change
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6816 on: April 12, 2011, 10:28:32 AM »
there was a whole table of playdough aliens at spaceport and you were able to make your own. I contributed this masterpiece  :M

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6817 on: April 12, 2011, 12:32:52 PM »
PSP :plus:

As for a good thing that happened to me today, I finally got a new laptop approved by my boss.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6818 on: April 12, 2011, 03:17:08 PM »
PuppetSockPenguin - Are you available for coronations, weddings, funerals, etc?  The Palace could use a musician/composer. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline PuppetSockPenguin

• Superlurker of the penguin elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • experience is memory is experience is
« Reply #6819 on: April 12, 2011, 05:20:49 PM »
PuppetSockPenguin - Are you available for coronations, weddings, funerals, etc?  The Palace could use a musician/composer. 

I'm available musically for anything that I get paid for. :P Will the Palace commission me to write symphonies for special events?

P7PSP

« Reply #6820 on: April 12, 2011, 05:22:32 PM »

I'm available musically for anything that I get paid for. :P Will the Palace commission me to write symphonies for special events?
Don't sign away the song rights.  :zoinks:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #6821 on: April 12, 2011, 05:24:47 PM »
I found two dimes in the parking lot at work!    :dance:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

midlifeaspie

« Reply #6822 on: April 12, 2011, 05:26:47 PM »
there was a whole table of playdough aliens at spaceport and you were able to make your own. I contributed this masterpiece  :M

What is "spaceport"?  I know your country doesn't have a real space program like the big ones.  :autism:

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #6823 on: April 12, 2011, 05:35:09 PM »
someone bought the urchin some fizzy sweets today

he doesn't like 'em

shame

I do :green:
blah blah blah