Author Topic: Post something good that happened today  (Read 93481 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Post something good that happened today
« Reply #2250 on: May 20, 2009, 04:07:49 PM »
Got sound working in my 2.6.29 kernel. Stupid, stupid oversight--something had switched the output of the soundcard to digital. :smash:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2251 on: May 23, 2009, 06:52:17 PM »
Found an automatic hack saw that works ir must weigh 300 pounds though and is at least 75 years ould
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #2252 on: May 23, 2009, 11:45:33 PM »
Let's see...UVa. lost in the NCAA Lacross Semifinals at Gillette Stadium, so that sucked! The Sox blew a one-run game with two outs in the ninth on a two-run dinger that was reviewed and cleared the Green Monstah by all of a few inches, if that! So that kinda sucked! I guess before the game I got 'Oil Can' Boyd's autograph and had a nice chat with him. He was a blast to watch pitch back in the 80s.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 10:48:40 AM by Trigger11 »
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #2253 on: May 24, 2009, 08:43:01 AM »
I got my internet connection back today. 

There was a BT engineer going up telephone poles in the area on Wednesday, and our telephone line went dead at some point in the early evening, while our ADSL connection still worked but was running at about 36Kbps on what should be a 5Mbps line.  On Friday, another BT engineer came to fix whatever the first one had fucked up, and he got the phone system working, but the ADSL was still slow and was running at 56Kbps.  We kept calling the technical support line, each time having to go through the standard quizz of what our phone number was, what model of router we used, whether our test socket had a BT logo on it etc, administered by people in an Indian call centre with accents that made it difficult to understand what they were saying, and each time were told one of several stories; that there was a problem with our line and they were working on it, that there was a problem with our line and we needed to contact Talk Talk (we have different companies supplying our telephone and broadband services; Talk Talk supplies the telephone service, BT supplies the broadband service), or that our line was fine and the problem was with our internal wiring or settings. 

On Saturday, the ADSL stopped working completely, but now it's back and the speed is normal again.  Unfortunately, I think BT are going to be replacing a buried cable up the street soon, so we might have to go through this process all over again.  Also, the connection still seems flaky; random sites keep timing out for no obvious reason when I try to contact them.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2254 on: May 24, 2009, 10:22:34 AM »
Peter, what kind of router/modem do you use?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #2255 on: May 24, 2009, 11:38:50 AM »
A Linksys WAG354G v2.  Is there a model/brand of router that's notorious for sucking and that I should make sure I avoid?

My main computer and my laptop connect to it through cat5e cables and Mum's laptop connects wirelessly.  We also had our phone system rewired within the past 12 months with cat5 cable, when the old cabling developed a fault, and the router is plugged into the first socket after the BT test socket.  Also, a few months ago, I soldered the connections in the socket the router is plugged into, since they'd come loose, possibly because of excessive vibrations from heavy traffic at the front of the house where the socket is.  The vibrations are so bad that bottles, jugs and other objects in my room jingle or rattle against each other and against the surfaces they're on every time a lorry, bus or even a car goes past unless they're weighed down or sit very flat against their surface, and the traffic is nearly continuous at certain times.

*Edit*  Damn, my sense of humour was last seen wearing concrete boots and chicken wire at the bottom of a lake.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 11:48:07 AM by Peter »
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2256 on: May 24, 2009, 12:54:04 PM »
Nah, Linksys routers should be decent enough. Maybe you need to check if you can download an updated firmware. :-\

I was thinking about my Netgear router--a firmware change to an open source variant not manufactured by Netgear did the trick. No more timeouts.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2257 on: May 26, 2009, 02:23:07 PM »
I was scheduled for a grilling by the boss of my direct supervisor about an extracurricular project I did not complete by her arbitrary 15 May 2009 deadline. I went in expecting the worst and was prepared to bring the smackdown. After all, this was a pet project and not what I am actually paid to do, so it doesn’t have priority over my actual tasking, which directly supports the Fleet.

Anyway, she started in on her spiel and I went into my very rare, but quite effective, manipulation of the conversation to the point I was providing answers before she asked the questions. Instead, I was the one actually asking her the questions. I don’t think she knows what hit her. It’s been awhile since I have done this and it has never been intentional. I was not expecting to have her all but apologizing to me about my tardiness on the project.

I am fucking brilliant! :headbang2:
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me

Blasted

« Reply #2258 on: May 27, 2009, 12:05:27 PM »
My mum is coming back from Poland with a book and 3 Czech films for me!

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2259 on: May 27, 2009, 01:09:11 PM »
I just ate a most delicious red delicious apple. :headbang2:
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2260 on: May 27, 2009, 05:50:32 PM »
Got a good sized job today
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #2261 on: May 27, 2009, 05:52:19 PM »
I walked home in the pouring rain and found $13 for my trouble, just lying on the sidewalk with no people around.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

P7PSP

« Reply #2262 on: May 27, 2009, 07:33:56 PM »
That could be good or bad depending on your beliefs about luck. Personally I would risk the bad luck.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2263 on: May 27, 2009, 07:46:33 PM »
I walked home in the pouring rain and found $13 for my trouble, just lying on the sidewalk with no people around.

Hey, free money is always cool. I'll bet you didn't even mind drying it.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #2264 on: May 28, 2009, 07:16:41 AM »
Picked up LEGO Star Wars The Complete Saga for the Wii for $25 AUD today at EB Games Yearly 1/2 price sale. WIN!!!

Also, the Star Wars Republic Gunship that we bought for our son's birthday turned out a bit bigger than I'd expected.