Author Topic: Post something good that happened today  (Read 93494 times)

Kosmonaut

Re: Post something good that happened today
« Reply #210 on: January 10, 2008, 09:27:24 AM »
I bought a ticket to see The Hold Steady next month.  :zoinks:
Yes!  :woohoo:  :dance:

ozymandias

« Reply #211 on: January 10, 2008, 12:07:15 PM »
It's a beautiful day, had my guitar lesson and made decent progress.   8)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #212 on: January 10, 2008, 01:24:42 PM »
Speaking of a guitar ...

I pulled out my dad's Gibson guitar from the closet, last night. I so rarely do, these days, but I really should hack on it, more. I had to do some cleaning after a funeral, ya know. (I went through my "spare stuff" closet and threw out buttloads of things - no relation to reality as far as I know)

I was amazed to find that, even after almost five months of neglect (I put it away after summer was winding down), it was almost perfectly IN TUNE, still!!
I have a special love for quality things that have been with me since the begining. His guitar (MINE, NOW!!) is six years older than I am.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #213 on: January 10, 2008, 01:59:01 PM »
So
Happy
It's
Thursday

Offline Tristeza

• Official Outsider of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #214 on: January 10, 2008, 02:11:08 PM »
That's funny!  :laugh:

Signed up for a beginning drawing class.  Thought I'd give it a try, although I'm sure I'll suck at it.  Never really tried, actually.  But if they laugh at my attempts I'll just tell them I'm mentally handicapped.   :laugh:
hats off to the man on top of the world
come crawl up here baby, and we can watch this damn thing turn

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #215 on: January 10, 2008, 02:23:37 PM »
.  But if they laugh at my attempts I'll just tell them I'm mentally handicapped.   :laugh:

I should have tried that,
with grad school.  :laugh:

ozymandias

« Reply #216 on: January 10, 2008, 02:50:26 PM »
Speaking of a guitar ...

I pulled out my dad's Gibson guitar from the closet, last night. I so rarely do, these days, but I really should hack on it, more. I had to do some cleaning after a funeral, ya know. (I went through my "spare stuff" closet and threw out buttloads of things - no relation to reality as far as I know)

I was amazed to find that, even after almost five months of neglect (I put it away after summer was winding down), it was almost perfectly IN TUNE, still!!
I have a special love for quality things that have been with me since the begining. His guitar (MINE, NOW!!) is six years older than I am.

If it was in a case and protected from tempurature and humidity extremes, it's no surprise that it stayed close to being in tune.  I tuned mine this morning after a month long rest in its case and it needed very little adjusting.  Before that I had it out in the regular house temps and dry winter humidity for 2 weeks and it was quite flat in tone.  Mine is a "Washburn" steel string acoustic guitar.  During the summer it doesn't "drift" as much as my first guitar did.  But, then again the first one was a 150 dollar cheapie bought from a  generic music store.  The Washburn was bought at a "real" guitar shop and was worth every penny.  I also needed a wider fret board and better sound.

There just is NO substitute for quality as you said.  Someday I want to get myself a nice "Classical" style guitar with a 2 inch fret board for when I get better.   8)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 02:53:15 PM by ozymandias »

ozymandias

« Reply #217 on: January 10, 2008, 02:59:30 PM »
Here is the link to a great guitar forum where you can find lyrics and chords that people have figured out on their own.  It also has a forum for discussion.  You can even post your own interpretation of a song on it.  I have a file folder filled to bursting with songs that I looked up and printed out!!   8)

http://www.chordie.com/

HG's brother is heavily into guitar and she told me that he was very intrigued and liked what he saw there.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #218 on: January 11, 2008, 03:56:22 PM »
Here is the link to a great guitar forum where you can find lyrics and chords that people have figured out on their own.  It also has a forum for discussion.  You can even post your own interpretation of a song on it.  I have a file folder filled to bursting with songs that I looked up and printed out!!   8)

HG's brother is heavily into guitar and she told me that he was very intrigued and liked what he saw there.

HG?

Interesting site. I ran across it once looking for songs.

A Washburn is a good piece of gear. Enjoy it. I actually have several guitars, even one of the lower grade Washburn versions and a nice Washburn twelve string, a sixties D-28 Martin, a Gibson jumbo, Dreadnaught, a Gibson twelve string, a topline Yamaha D-28 knock-off, but none hold the fascination of the old Gibson for me, but it's more than the fact that it was my dad's. The guitar is a bit unique in that it is a "cutaway" style, from the forties. It's not really the best sounding guitar I have, but it is so beautifully made. Even the early eighties Yamaha has a better timber, but it is not as well in tune along the fretboard as the Martin,the Gibsons or the Washburns.

I have many more electrics, though. Some are quite valuable, but that's not why I have kept them. To me every instrument I have is a multi-path nostalgia generator for me. Memories come flooding back when I hold them. I sometimes don't like having a life that is so tightly fastened to "things" but mine is that way, in many ways.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 03:59:53 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #219 on: January 11, 2008, 04:05:31 PM »

Oh, yeah!

My something good ...

Today is payday. No big deal, right - that's a function of calender counting for some.

I GOT A RAISE IN PAY!!!

... and an official letter from the management staff commending my "job well done" along with formal statement of their desire to have me stay on past the end of the holiday season.

:woohoo:

ozymandias

« Reply #220 on: January 11, 2008, 04:32:02 PM »

HG?

Interesting site. I ran across it once looking for songs.

A Washburn is a good piece of gear. Enjoy it. I actually have several guitars, even one of the lower grade Washburn versions and a nice Washburn twelve string, a sixties D-28 Martin, a Gibson jumbo, Dreadnaught, a Gibson twelve string, a topline Yamaha D-28 knock-off, but none hold the fascination of the old Gibson for me, but it's more than the fact that it was my dad's. The guitar is a bit unique in that it is a "cutaway" style, from the forties. It's not really the best sounding guitar I have, but it is so beautifully made. Even the early eighties Yamaha has a better timber, but it is not as well in tune along the fretboard as the Martin,the Gibsons or the Washburns.

I have many more electrics, though. Some are quite valuable, but that's not why I have kept them. To me every instrument I have is a multi-path nostalgia generator for me. Memories come flooding back when I hold them. I sometimes don't like having a life that is so tightly fastened to "things" but mine is that way, in many ways.

Memories attached to music is a good thing for me, my mental "escapes" were found in music and books.   8)  I do enjoy it, I even gave it the name "Victoria" (I name just about everything thats important to me.)   :P  No historical significance to the name, I just happen to love how the name sounds.

Oh and HG is HypnoticaGaze.  I still hear from her from time to time.   8)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #221 on: January 11, 2008, 04:49:20 PM »

Oh, yeah!

My something good ...

Today is payday. No big deal, right - that's a function of calender counting for some.

I GOT A RAISE IN PAY!!!

... and an official letter from the management staff commending my "job well done" along with formal statement of their desire to have me stay on past the end of the holiday season.

:woohoo:

That's great news, DD. :plus: for a job well done!
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #222 on: January 11, 2008, 05:19:12 PM »

Thanks.

This is truly good news to me.

Having it official is a big deal. I think I mentioned that one in middle management laughed when I asked how to improve my chances of keeping my job after the season.

a laugh and vote of confidence < a formal letter and a raise.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #223 on: January 11, 2008, 05:26:58 PM »
I'm glad for you. :)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #224 on: January 11, 2008, 10:37:26 PM »
A hot female friend sent me a topless pic of herself.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?