Author Topic: Catholic?  (Read 5337 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Catholic?
« on: September 25, 2007, 07:57:13 PM »
Who else was raised Roman Catholic and find it all utterly insane?  I now I'm not the only one at least I hope :-[ Also what was the last straw that made you this way.  Even as a child I thought the whole thing was nuts but knew enough to play along to stay of trouble.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Scrapheap

Re: Catholic?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 08:03:39 PM »
I like the comedian who quiped: "I was raised Catholic, but raped Protestant"

I was raised in a fundamentalist Baptist home... it was just as insane as catholicism I imagine.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 08:36:42 PM »
i was raised with no religion whatsoever. i found god anyway. and aliens.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

ozymandias

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 08:54:04 PM »
I consider myself a "recovering catholic".  Currently, I am the heathen of the family.  I even bought a wiccan medallion complete with star and "tree of life", and wear it proudly! 8)

ozymandias

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 08:56:29 PM »
For the record, I dodged a pedophile priest, survived the nuns from hell for the first seven years of my schooling and survived my brief time at a catholic high school seminary.  <whew>

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 09:29:10 PM »
My folks were both raised Catholic,
and had a reasonable opposition to
the Church. I had to plead to be
allowed to go to religious instruction.

Sadly, I got into an argument, when
they were stating things which were
demonstrably false. There are some
good thinkers in the Church, but the
run of the mill crap which is passed off
on people is so low grade, that one
wonders how they can swallow it.

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 10:45:29 PM »
I was raised a Catholic. But not a Catholic now.
Guardian of the Empire

Offline ASpHole

• Uncle Hardcore Meat from The Mothers of Invasion
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Econoclass Iconoclast
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 03:13:29 AM »
My mom was raised Catholic, and shielded me from a lot of it by not raising me that way. My stepmom, OTOH found it appropriate for me to be baptised Eastern Orthodox, but there are really no Eastern Churches to speak of in North Dakota where I lived at the time, so I went to Catholic school for a couple of years and went to Catholic Mass. --Luckily  neither had much effect on me.
"When there's no 'there' to get to, we're so there!"

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 05:02:11 AM »
I was baptised Roman Catholic and strictly went to church and Sunday school up until my dad started with the domestic abuse when I was about nine. Then mum left and about a year after that I went to live with her. I think she just stopped caring about religion after that. It didn't give her support when she was going through a tough time.

Some religions are all about fear and I think it is sad that people would choose to live that way.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 05:42:53 AM »
What bothered me was the change most of the CCD teachers,nuns,priests went through when parents were around all nice then when alone many were down right mean.  Never had any of those problems that are now associated with the Catholic church but was belittled and bullied by both nuns and priests.  I never understood much of anything taught me in CCD and felt they didn't explain any of it very well.  In church I used to count things, bricks in the walls, light bulbs all sorts of stuff while I played along because if you didn't go along it was Hell for you.       The effect of all this is nobody in my immediate family goes to church and I don't even consider myself any form of Christian

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 10:13:10 AM »
I narrowly escaped catholic school.  My dad sent me to a catholic school when I first started school, but I didn't settle there, so I was moved to a normal school after a few weeks.  Something about that place just didn't feel right.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

ozymandias

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 11:49:52 AM »
Could be the demand for strict obedience and conformity to church doctrine and to people, nuns and priests, "called by God" that rankles us.  I know it did and still does to me! >:(

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 09:22:12 PM »
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - Six Catholic nuns have been excommunicated for heresy after refusing to give up membership in a Canadian sect whose founder claims to be possessed by the Virgin Mary, the Diocese of Little Rock announced Wednesday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070927/ap_on_re_us/nuns_heresy_8

Another prime example of the insanity called the Catholic church :wanker:

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 09:29:22 PM »
While I have never belonged to the Catholic church nor had to go to any private school, I have attended mass a few times.   The only thing I like about it is the singing of the mass in Latin, it can be really well done and sounds pretty.   Other than that it is boring and not worth my time.   Thankfully I don't have the interest in the misgivings or problems in that church, as I wasn't really exposed to it at all during my childhood.   Both of my parents were "Catholic" in the confirmed sense, but they were never made to attend church by either set of grandparents, so they didn't obviously haha.   I was raised good ol' Southern Baptist lmao.   That is just as bad imo, red-faced preachers banging their fist on the pulpit giving fire and brimstone sermons for some reason make me laugh really hard.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 06:25:42 AM »
Top 5 crazy (minor) religions:
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?